shape
carat
color
clarity

[AUS] WF Purchase update

durianhead

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I recently posted to get opinion on diamonds and pulled the trigger on one. I thought I'd document the process for those who are in the Land Down Under looking to go through the same journey.

June 17 - Finally checked my cart out, made payment via Wise (Ex-Transfer wise).
June 18 - Payment completed but was advised it would take 2-3 business days for it to appear in WF accounts
June 22 - Payment cleared (finally!)
June 23 - Stone set sail on its 15,000 km journey
June 24 - Stone met custom, custom want ransom (11.6% of cost), I paid ransom, custom released stone
June 25 - Stone arrived in local sorting facility
June 28 - Stone delivered, and I love that it comes with all sorts of tools that help me view the diamond (though I don't necessarily know how to use them!).

Seeing the stone for the first time, and I'm no diamond connoisseur but it looks absolutely gorgeous. Pictures don't do justice, especially not the orange lighting in my room.

Video 1 - https://streamable.com/cs04vm
Video 2 - https://streamable.com/7vbbhz

8E7130DA-4018-4C77-9D23-3A2F7F3DDE95.jpeg 026B4439-5F68-405A-A4F8-14E00978DA09.jpeg 0BD79893-728E-4BC8-A452-617200642723 resized.jpeg
D1EA704B-C5CF-49EC-898D-8B88C5005282.jpeg

Next is for me to bring this to my jeweler and have him set it in a ring. Not that I don't trust my jeweler but is there a way for me to identify this particular diamond? I have a 40x magnifying loupe but I don't see any inscription on the stone.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the PS community for helping me get this far! Your advice has been invaluable.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond! It says it’s inscribed so when you take it to the jeweler you could ask them to locate and show you the inscription, and do the same when you pick it up.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Looks absolutely stunning! Congrats!

durianhead

Rough_Rock
It says it’s inscribed so when you take it to the jeweler you could ask them to locate and show you the inscription, and do the same when you pick it up.

I thought so too. But I couldn't see anything with my 40x loupe, not even a remote black scribble.

What if he says that he can't see any inscription either? Then we may end up going in circles of distrust. Again, not that I don't trust him to begin with.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought so too. But I couldn't see anything with my 40x loupe, not even a remote black scribble.

What if he says that he can't see any inscription either? Then we may end up going in circles of distrust. Again, not that I don't trust him to begin with.

Your other options are to use your loupe and GIA inclusion plot and learn to identify your diamond that way. You can also get some electronic calipers to confirm the diameter. Or, you could take it to an appraiser to confirm. Here appraisers charge more for a full blown appraisal with written report (which you may want for insurance purposes), and charge a lesser fee for a verbal confirmation that a diamond matches its GIA report. If you go this route start researching appraisers now so that you can do this immediately upon receiving your diamond in its setting.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@durianhead ,
First, we appreciate your purchase and for detailing the delivery journey for others.

A 40X loupe is actually very difficult to use if you are not very practiced because of the extremely narrow focal distance. You can see the inscription with a 10x loupe although it is still sometimes difficult to read all the numbers easily because of movement. A microscope is optimal because the diamond is held stationary and you can put both eyes on the prize.

Here is a page that gives you some info and some visuals to know what to look for.

As others have said, your jeweler should also be able to help you with the inscription.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man, that diamond sucks. You should promptly send to my attention and I will dispose of it accordingly. I promise. :liar:

Just kidding. It looks amazing! Congratulations on a long journey. Don't lose steam yet, you are near the finish line!

Call it whatever you want, but I would also be checking the inscription and/or clarity plot before the stone went to the jeweler. I'd want to confirm I got what I bought. Also, I'd want to have verification BEFORE I went to the jeweler so that he/she couldn't pull any fast ones over on me. FYI, I have one of those scopes I can hook up to my laptop and does some crazy zoom levels. It's a royal PITA to get things lined up sometimes and took me some practice to get it right.

IMO, a good jeweler will confirm inscription and clarity plot upon check-in of the stone anyhow so they have a clear record of what they actually received. You should both have a copy of this check-in record. Then once the stone is set, they should go back over the inscription and clarity plot with you when you pick it up to confirm everything is as it should be. That is just good quality assurance to protect all parties. If they don't do this automatically I would insist they do it. If they are unwilling I would utilize a different jeweler.

A final tip, when setting, make sure that the jeweler takes additional care to align the arrows symmetrically with the prongs similar to the picture below. In addition to that proper alignment, make sure they do so in a manner that doesn't cover up the inscription with the prongs so that you can easily verify the inscription. While inscriptions make life easier, they can be cheated, so ALWAYS double-check the clarity plot when that diamond leaves your hands.

FYI, also attaching your GIA report, and highlighted the part where it does show the stone has an inscription.

Capture-sample.PNG

Capture-gia.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results