shape
carat
color
clarity

Aurora Butterfly of peace diamonds

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Attention mods: I wasn't sure if this should post under RockyTalk or Show Me the Bling, please move if appropriate.

On a recent visit to The Perot Museum of Nature and Science in Dallas, I came upon this interesting exhibit that I thought PS'ers would enjoy. Sorry my photos don't do it justice!

Made up of 240 natural colored diamonds totaling 167 carats

IMG_4949.JPG IMG_4950.JPG IMG_4951.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG IMG_4953.JPG

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.png
    image.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.png
    image.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 7
stunning!!

It really takes life with the black light! Very cool!

Very cool :) although I am struggling to understand how both diamonds and butterflies are linked to peace... lol

Look at all that fluorescence!

It is drop dead gorgeous in person! I saw it at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts several years ago.

Resurrecting this thread. I finally made it to the Natural History museum in NYC to see the new gem hall (it debuted in 2021, I took the snail trail up!) - I didn’t realize this exhibit was on display there now!! I read about it back when it was at GIA. Didn’t expect to actually see it, it is spectacular.

As I was mooning - a mum brought her kid over to “look at the butterfly!”, and gave the child all of ten seconds before saying “it’s just a bunch of tiny diamonds, come on, let’s go see the big stones” and my first thought was what @kenny would have thought :lol:

IMG_8705.jpeg
IMG_8704.jpeg

IMG_8699.jpeg

IMG_8701.jpeg

IMG_8692.jpeg

... my first thought was what @kenny would have thought :lol:

I think, "I'd halo it." :lol-2:

I've never seen the Aurora collection, but I'd love to.
I DO however have Stephen Hofer's fascinating, long-out-of-print, 742 page, several-pound hardcover tome about this specialized topic.

5.png

Glad I bought it, the book not the butterfly, long ago, I doubt I paid over 2 or 3 hundred for it.
Since then, I've seen it on Amazon for up to 2 grand.
That's not for a diamond, just a used book - currently $795 on Amazon.

This listing incorrectly states it weighs one pound.
Uhm, no; it maxes out my kitchen scale's 5 pound limit: IIRC it's 8 or 9 lbs.

Last edited:
I think, "I'd halo it." :lol-2:

I've never seen the Aurora collection, but I'd love to.
I DO however have Stephen Hofer's fascinating, long-out-of-print, 742 page, several-pound hardcover tome about this specialized topic.

5.png

Glad I bought it, the book not the butterfly, long ago, I doubt I paid over 2 or 3 hundred for it.
Since then, I've seen it on Amazon for up to 2 grand.
That's not for a diamond, just a used book - currently $795 on Amazon.

This listing incorrectly states it weighs one pound.
Uhm, no; it maxes out my kitchen scale's 5 pound limit: IIRC it's 8 or 9 lbs.

I know you do! I think you’re the only person I know who has it. I’ve been keeing eyes out for it for years - lowest I’ve ever seen it was around $500, couple years ago overseas, and that seems like a steal now!!

I hope you’re able to see this exhibit one day - I’m sure it’ll be back out your way soon, it seems to travel a fair bit. I can’t think of anyone who would know more about it or appreciate it more :love:

Wow, that is beautiful! I'm curious, what are they "set" in? I don't see prongs. From the pictures it looks to me like a sheet of boiled wool, or even foam, that they made little cups in to keep the diamonds from moving around?

Wow, that is beautiful! I'm curious, what are they "set" in? I don't see prongs. From the pictures it looks to me like a sheet of boiled wool, or even foam, that they made little cups in to keep the diamonds from moving around?

I think it's foam. I often visit that hall and and will take a closer look next time I'm there.

Just foam, yes! You can actually see how some of the stones have shifted and turned slightly from Octo2005's photo!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP