shape
carat
color
clarity

Aurora Butterfly of peace diamonds

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Attention mods: I wasn't sure if this should post under RockyTalk or Show Me the Bling, please move if appropriate.

On a recent visit to The Perot Museum of Nature and Science in Dallas, I came upon this interesting exhibit that I thought PS'ers would enjoy. Sorry my photos don't do it justice!

Made up of 240 natural colored diamonds totaling 167 carats

IMG_4949.JPG IMG_4950.JPG IMG_4951.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG IMG_4953.JPG

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.png
    image.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.png
    image.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 7

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really takes life with the black light! Very cool!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool :) although I am struggling to understand how both diamonds and butterflies are linked to peace... lol

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Look at all that fluorescence!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
It is drop dead gorgeous in person! I saw it at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts several years ago.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resurrecting this thread. I finally made it to the Natural History museum in NYC to see the new gem hall (it debuted in 2021, I took the snail trail up!) - I didn’t realize this exhibit was on display there now!! I read about it back when it was at GIA. Didn’t expect to actually see it, it is spectacular.

As I was mooning - a mum brought her kid over to “look at the butterfly!”, and gave the child all of ten seconds before saying “it’s just a bunch of tiny diamonds, come on, let’s go see the big stones” and my first thought was what @kenny would have thought :lol:

IMG_8705.jpeg
IMG_8704.jpeg

IMG_8699.jpeg

IMG_8701.jpeg

IMG_8692.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... my first thought was what @kenny would have thought :lol:

I think, "I'd halo it." :lol-2:

I've never seen the Aurora collection, but I'd love to.
I DO however have Stephen Hofer's fascinating, long-out-of-print, 742 page, several-pound hardcover tome about this specialized topic.

5.png

Glad I bought it, the book not the butterfly, long ago, I doubt I paid over 2 or 3 hundred for it.
Since then, I've seen it on Amazon for up to 2 grand.
That's not for a diamond, just a used book - currently $795 on Amazon.

This listing incorrectly states it weighs one pound.
Uhm, no; it maxes out my kitchen scale's 5 pound limit: IIRC it's 8 or 9 lbs.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think, "I'd halo it." :lol-2:

I've never seen the Aurora collection, but I'd love to.
I DO however have Stephen Hofer's fascinating, long-out-of-print, 742 page, several-pound hardcover tome about this specialized topic.

5.png

Glad I bought it, the book not the butterfly, long ago, I doubt I paid over 2 or 3 hundred for it.
Since then, I've seen it on Amazon for up to 2 grand.
That's not for a diamond, just a used book - currently $795 on Amazon.

This listing incorrectly states it weighs one pound.
Uhm, no; it maxes out my kitchen scale's 5 pound limit: IIRC it's 8 or 9 lbs.

I know you do! I think you’re the only person I know who has it. I’ve been keeing eyes out for it for years - lowest I’ve ever seen it was around $500, couple years ago overseas, and that seems like a steal now!!

I hope you’re able to see this exhibit one day - I’m sure it’ll be back out your way soon, it seems to travel a fair bit. I can’t think of anyone who would know more about it or appreciate it more :love:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is beautiful! I'm curious, what are they "set" in? I don't see prongs. From the pictures it looks to me like a sheet of boiled wool, or even foam, that they made little cups in to keep the diamonds from moving around?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is beautiful! I'm curious, what are they "set" in? I don't see prongs. From the pictures it looks to me like a sheet of boiled wool, or even foam, that they made little cups in to keep the diamonds from moving around?

I think it's foam. I often visit that hall and and will take a closer look next time I'm there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just foam, yes! You can actually see how some of the stones have shifted and turned slightly from Octo2005's photo!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results