shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Round Personal Assessment

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
I had 2 beautiful AVR’s sent to me from Good Old Gold. 1 with the smaller table cut, the other with the larger table cut. Here is what I saw. Please remember this is my personal assessment and people see beauty in different ways.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9482/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9596/

The cut on both of these stones is phenomenal! I was frustrated because Jonathan at Good Old Gold and other's would not tell me which AVR was better but that is because one is not any better than the other. They are just different and it comes down to personal preference.

The 1.08 with the smaller table seems to have greater smaller sparkle (fire) and scintillation in bright light/sun light. It twinkles more. I believe this is because there is more crown angle so the bright light has a larger/wider facet to play off of. If you are a RB H&A person who is interested in seeing an AVR, the smaller table may suit your taste better.

The 1.24 with the larger table seems to perform better in house, office and other low lighting conditions. The fire that comes from this stone is amazing. In some light conditions the table seems a bit darker than the 1.08 but overall the 1.24 is more visually interesting to me. I also love, love, love the flower pattern cut.

The I-colored AVR showed a very-barely-there hint of body color. The J with fluorescence showed up extremely white. When placed in different settings with side stones the I-color faced up white.

I only saw the inclusion in the 1.24 AVR once or twice and that was in the different jewelry stores trying on settings under their crazy lights glaring down. 99% of the time I cannot see this inclusion. I took both stones to my best friend who is extremely picky about diamond color and clarity. The first thing she asked for was a loop but I would not give it to her. Upon examination 3 inches from her nose she could not find the inclusion. The second day I took her the loop, she saw the inclusion and admitted that no one would ever see it. She never mentioned body color but she did say the smaller diamond appeared a bit brighter but because of size she would pick the larger diamond because the difference was not pronounced enough to be concerned about.

I took a few pictures but they are pretty bad.

diamond_pics_048.jpg

diamond_pics_3.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
How fun to get both AVR styles to play with! I have been curious about the performance of the newer more oec style. It's great that inclusion isn't obvious. I read your threads and know you were concerned about that. So are you keeping the 1.24?

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
I will be keeping the 1.24 but my boyfriend wants to compare it to a AVC cushion cut. If I get one I will send in my comparison of that as well. I know in my heart that I want this 1.24 AVR though. For me it is perfect and that inclusion saves him about $1,000 and does not bother me the least bit. After seeing an SI2 stone I would tell others on a budget to seriously consider them.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the assessment! I am also interested to know if you went ahead and got the bigger stone. :) They both look great!

Cachette :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think eye clean SI2 is more of a mind clean issues for some. Heck, for me SI1 is a total mind clean issue.

I am glad you were able to compare 2 AVRs and hopefully see an AVC too. It's so different having diamonds in hand versus pictures and videos. Any chance you can also compare a true antique OEC and OMC and a non-AVC newly cut cushion as well? Honestly, I have been lucky to see all these over the years and it's been an amazing journey. I think this is why so many of us end up with multi-diamonds ... one is simply not enough where we love all the different looks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you came to the same conclusion I did! I am so glad you found the SI2 eyeclean! I thought you would since they have a pretty good record on accurately calling that. I honestly can't tell which stone is which from the distance in the pictures, though!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It's nice to hear a comparison of these two stones. By photos alone, I very much prefer the one you've chosen to keep. Please do let us know how you go with an AVC. Again, I think I'd prefer the AVR you've already got, but would be interested to know how they compare in your eyes. :))

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
I have looked at antique OEC’s and I have loved so many of them but I can’t tell which ones are real performers and what the crazy store lights make look good. The reason we are looking at the AVR is because this isn’t a second ring for me. It’s my engagement ring and with the AVR we know what we are getting. I know it isn’t chipped or cracked and that it has ideal light performance. We have compared the AVR to at least 6 different types of ideal cut RB’s and the look of the AVR wins for both of us every time. When comparing ideal cut AVR’s to ideal RB’s around here, the AVR is actually less expensive which is helpful because my DL is a single parent of 2 boys.

Note of interest: I showed the 2 different AVR’s to about 12 different friends and family. Half picked the smaller table and the other half picked the larger table.

I need your help again. What do you think of these Amavida settings? One of them has a wedding band that sits flush. The others don’t. Take a look and let me know what you think.
Should I go platinum or white gold? If I go with WG is there something I can do where it won’t turn yellow and I won’t have to have it plated again? Should I go with a flush wedding band or a band with a bit of a gap? A curved band is not an option for me. Does a basket type setting make it harder to keep the diamond clean?

Thanks so much! You guys are really very helpful!!

http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER8774PT3JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER8780PT3JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7549W83JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7560W83JJ

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Oohhhh. I like 3 and 4, but you will need a spacer between the ering and wedding ring.

liz

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, those are really pretty!!! The first one is very much like a Tacori design! I would use a straight wedding band no matter what. I don't mind a little gap. I like them all, but I am kind of partial to the 6 prongs of #1!

Oh, and I really recommend platinum! I like it with everything but especially old cuts. The rhodium plating is just to chrome-looking to me for an antique style stone.

That is funny about half the people choosing each stone! But it doesn't surprise me!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER8774PT3JJ

http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7549W83JJ

I like these 2...sorry, I didn't want to get them mixed up so I reposted the links. I prefer the first one because I would rather not have the split shank, but the split shank one I chose is also really pretty. If you can't get a band to sit flush I'd go with the gap look. I like things that aren't so matchy matchy, esp with an antique style stone/setting.

ETA...So I think I liked 1 and 3...and for me it had a lot to do with the basket design. I particularly didn't care for 2 because of the lack of basket...I don't like when the stone is so exposed on the side.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1361240475|3383859 said:
Goodness, those are really pretty!!! The first one is very much like a Tacori design! I would use a straight wedding band no matter what. I don't mind a little gap. I like them all, but I am kind of partial to the 6 prongs of #1!

Oh, and I really recommend platinum! I like it with everything but especially old cuts. The rhodium plating is just to chrome-looking to me for an antique style stone.

That is funny about half the people choosing each stone! But it doesn't surprise me!

I agree with this too....and I'm not sure there's really anything you can do to prevent the need for re-plating of white gold. Everyone is different so the amount of time before plating varies, but I think it will always be necessary at some point.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
#1 hands down for me and I recommned platinum. I can't remember whose ring it is but someone recently got a Gabriel setting simiar to #1. It is gorgeous and prompt me to want to get the same setting. Let me go see if I can find the thread.

I also think you are the perfect customer for an AVR. You can't go wrong it and you always know what you are getting. A quality diamond that performs well - Jon and crew will tell you everything you need to know.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Hello Libby: What's a spacer and how does it work?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I also love the #1 setting. DS is right, it looks like a Tacori setting. That is what I would choose. Perfect with an AVR.
I hope Charmy finds the thread.Would love to see handshots :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the exact rings that #1 looks like! Actually one is Tacori and was owned by kathleenmv and set with an AVR and the other was a Singlestone ring owned by jjc. I have saved these because the crown head is one of my favorites for an AVR/OEC e-ring!

tacoriavr4.jpg

143ct-old-european-cut-diamond-m_2520_25282_2529.jpg

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhhh ... very nice!!!

Thanks for the spacer sites! I'm going to check those out now.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
OH I really like three and four the best.

I would agree go with Platinum. I wish I had gone that way. I have a while gold and rose gold ring. One the top, the part you see mine it still really white, but the palm side of ring it has completly turned color. That being said it isn't really yellow but it is definatly not white. I know that I am really the only one who see it but it is starting to bother me. I have had my ring for a little over 2 years.

With platinum and gold being so close in price now I would totally go Platinum. Beside I like the weight of it.

Good luck
:bigsmile:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Definitely setting #1 :love: And normally I am fine with white gold but for this stone and that setting I would go with platinum.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Wow that's a beautiful setting :love: Perfect for your AVR. Great job finding the thread for the OP to look at Charmy :appl:
If it were for me I would also get this done in platinum.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
those settings are lovely. I'm not very knowledgeable on setttings, but I tried on an Armavida setting at a jewelry store and it was lovely and delicate. I wanted a thin paved shank and found the knife edge gave that look nicely and provided the strength.

Have you tried on settings yet? I suggest you do before you make up your mind to get an idea of what they look like on your hand.

Here's the setting I tried on:

http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7940W83JJ

A little cheaper than the ones you are looking at. I know GOG carries the Gabriel line. You can't go wrong with their AVR's...great choices. Can't wait to see it set.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I really like this last Gabriel that ariel posted! Lovely!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the stone you picked.

I think if you liked the faster scintillation of the smaller table cut you will much prefer the AVR over the AVC, which has much slower scintillation.

Settings, platinum, and four prongs. I personally don't like the way size prongs can look bulky on diamonds around the 1ct mark. I like this setting best because the split shank will make the stone look bigger, and because I think the gallery is pretty: http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7560W83JJ

I actually like this one best if they can do claw prongs rather than tab prongs: http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER8780PT3JJ

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
My DL found this setting and picked it out for me to try on. http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7560W83JJ
He has great taste!!! It is gorgeous and it may be the one I end up going with. I am trying to get the jeweler to get the 6-prong in as well so I can compare. I have found out that a setting online looks completely different in a display case and then looks completely different again on my finger!

I have the stone now so I am VERY anxious to get a setting so I can start wearing it. It's torture not to be able to wear it BUT ... I want to take my time to get the perfect setting. I don't want to settle.

And OH HEAVENS iluvdiamonds2 has a gorgeous setting. Originally I wanted one exactly like it but with milgrain until my DL found this other one.

You ALL have been so helpful with the pics and threads and suggestions. It is sure helping me toward making the right decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results