color
clarity

August Vintage Lab grown diamonds poll

Would you be open to buying AV lab created diamonds

• Total voters

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Here is the rough ...

I understand that CVD has long since been able to make more than slates. How large can such blocks be now?

To explain my interest: I am wondering if & how CVD can vary texture - toward exceptional toughness, such as @diagem finds in the ball-like rough.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that CVD has long since been able to make more than slates. How large can such blocks be now?

To explain my interest: I am wondering if & how CVD can vary texture - toward exceptional toughness, such as @diagem finds in the ball-like rough.
I have seen links to 10-15ct polished stones, so rough must be much larger!

Do the 'ball' diamonds have a different atomic structure? Are they standard octahedral(?) crystals that have been 'squashed' into a round ball, making the atoms much closer together and the material tougher? If they have been 'squashed', that would seem different to CVD growing environments, that (IIRC) are high-pressure but not direct-pressure??

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rhino, Can you share if there are any restrictions to what you will offer (ie, above/below a certain mm, color, cut) within the next year or so? Thanks!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
@Rhino, Can you share if there are any restrictions to what you will offer (ie, above/below a certain mm, color, cut) within the next year or so? Thanks!

Including proprietary ones (like the octavia?) :evil2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings my peeps,

To answer your questions...

The only restriction will be the amount of capital I can muster however like all things ... we'll start small and allow it to grow/build. I'm looking to feature selections at the major size points, thinking from 1ct, 1.2xct, 1.5xct, 1.7xct, 2ct, 2.5ct & 3ct for starters. I'm particularly excited about new shapes I'll be introducing to the AV line as well! Boy are you vintage lovers in for some nice surprises in the coming year!!!

Including proprietary ones (like the octavia?) :evil2:

I'll talk with Karl/Yoram about it. I think it would be awesome if we can! :mrgreen:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a geekette's dream. Ultra precise cutting and a lab stone...math and chemistry and engineering reaching out to my cold, precision engineered heart...

Someone mentioned moissanites way up high. Moissies have a hexagonal crystalline structure which means that they do not cleave at the same angle as a diamond. When they are cut like diamonds you can see small "stair steps" as the facets meet and turn the corner. They are not appropriate for any of Gold Old Gold's branded cuts.

Moissies are also sometimes cut shallow to minimize leakage which is another giveaway to someone who knows what to look for. C & C is always urging people not to think of it as an imitation but as a lovely alternative, but no one seems to be cutting it to enhance what it is instead of copying diamonds.

I wouldn't object to a knock out lab sapphire/ruby cut by an expert cutter, but all the really spectacular corundum cutters prefer natural stones, probably because it's easier to get people to pay a fair price. Look at Jeff White's stones, knock your socks off cuts that could never be used for a diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am super-excited at the possibilities MMDs open up, I can't wait to see what is coming! :))

Any bling of a substantial size is some way off for me :( so I will have to live vicariously on here, lol, and see if I can get something small for the good lady!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha I hear you @ChristineRose Geekette's LOL!!! :lol:

Just an FYI. I am no longer serving at Good Old Gold but am serving via August Vintage Inc. Perhaps in the future I may team up with them again. Time will tell.

Yoram and I are talking about the possibility of Octavia as well. While I've seen the precision of the vintage and brilliant cuts we want to ensure their precision and attention to detail is equally as impressive when it comes to step cuts so ... one step at a time. :halo:

m1918

Shiny_Rock
@Rhino is it possible to see a difference between the mined and lab grown diamonds?! i love the idea of getting something from you with the same amazing light performance for less $$ but i feel like i have a mental block against man made :confused:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rhino is it possible to see a difference between the mined and lab grown diamonds?! i love the idea of getting something from you with the same amazing light performance for less $$ but i feel like i have a mental block against man made :confused:
MMDs are the same chemical / physical structure as Mined diamonds - if they were not, they could not be called diamonds :)

There are subtle differences in their internal 'grain', which is effectively their growth patterns within the crystal as I understand it, but they can only be picked up with expensive laboratory equipment so it has no effect in person!

DeBeers et al are reliant on us emotion-based human beings retaining the notion that 'real is rare', and MMDs are 'not real' because they can be produced as required - I get the point, in that having something on the finger that took billions of years to form is pretty cool and kind of romantic, but the other side of the coin is that MMDs reflect just how awesomely skilled we are as a species, because we can create something that takes so long to make in nature!

So it depends on your point of view and, I think, who the diamond is for. If buying for myself, I would have no issue buying MMD. If buying for my good lady... I don't know, I will have to cross that bridge when I have some money for bling :D lol

Also, if you want high colour, high clarity and high carat size but only have low budget, MMDs are a potential option!

Last edited:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey m!

Believe me I sympathize with your mental block. When these first came out I felt the same. Many jewelers even feel threatened by them. So ... I wish there was some meaningful difference to show you between mined and lab but quite frankly there is none besides the brownish tone of the lower colors. The same elements that contribute to beauty in mined diamonds are the same in lab diamonds as well and particularly the cutting quality. If there's any particular comparison between earth and lab you'd like to see drop me an email and I'm happy to shoot a comparison for you. I just published close to 400 new fancy shapes too, some of which I'm dying to explore.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well said @OoohShiny

One notion that I would challenge is the time it takes to form diamonds in the earth. I mean... I don't think anyone has actually witnessed the "millions of years" thing. ;-) Ie. no empirical evidence. It may in fact only take the same time to produce in the earth as it does in the lab with science suggesting such. To my knowledge the millions of years thing has never been actually proven but is just a theory.

Warm regards,
Rhino

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just published close to 400 new fancy shapes too, some of which I'm dying to explore.
:o

Do you have a link??!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well said @OoohShiny

One notion that I would challenge is the time it takes to form diamonds in the earth. I mean... I don't think anyone has actually witnessed the "millions of years" thing. ;-) Ie. no empirical evidence. It may in fact only take the same time to produce in the earth as it does in the lab with science suggesting such. To my knowledge the millions of years thing has never been actually proven but is just a theory.

Warm regards,
Rhino
A very fair point ;-) lol

Can diamonds be carbon dated??

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
on "The Rocks" menu. 360's too! ;-) My video people recently did a tech upgrade so if you're not seeing the 360's you may have to clear your cache. the vids now have an "eye clean" and zoom option. :razz:

m1918

Shiny_Rock
@Rhino @OoohShiny thanks for your replies! i didn’t think there was a visual difference but just had to check ;)2

now i guess i’ll just be waiting for more antique cushions and for my bf to be ready!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One notion that I would challenge is the time it takes to form diamonds in the earth.

I have always thought it a sort of metaphor - with the timeframe referring to the geology of mines.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rhino,

Apologies for bugging you!

May I quickly check if the plan is to have pictures and videos for all the stones listed, even the smaller stones?

I only ask because that's my current budget range :( :lol: and there are a couple of small asschers listed that are catching my eye! (Come on, Santa, I've been a good boy this year... ;-) lol )

I have to say that I am liking some of the cuts a lot, though :))

For example, I thought all Heart shapes were cut terribly, but this one looks great!
https://www.augustvintageinc.com/co...t-d-vvs1-laboratory-grown-diamond-lg_m3a85006

Similarly, D, VVS2, big spread for small weight, minimal 'tilt-windowing' and lovely chunky facets with minimal 'crushed ice', for a crazy-low price - it's a lovely pear that would look impressive on the finger!
https://www.augustvintageinc.com/co...t-d-vvs2-laboratory-grown-diamond-lg_10719117

Keep up the good work! :)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi @OoohShiny LOL you can bug me all day long with things like this. :mrgreen:

I know there are some that don't have pix/videos. I'm sure I can get it upon request. Drop me an email with the links or sku's and I'll get.

And yes! I just sold a 1.41ct E VVS pear and the cut was really amazing. Your link above is actually the first heart shape I saw and dang it does look pretty awesome. Drop me an email if there are any you'd like to see images on.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @OoohShiny LOL you can bug me all day long with things like this. :mrgreen:

I know there are some that don't have pix/videos. I'm sure I can get it upon request. Drop me an email with the links or sku's and I'll get.

And yes! I just sold a 1.41ct E VVS pear and the cut was really amazing. Your link above is actually the first heart shape I saw and dang it does look pretty awesome. Drop me an email if there are any you'd like to see images on.

Kind regards,
Jonathan
Awesome, thank you for the kind offer! :))

I need to check out my finances and see where I am - I need to buy tyres for both cars, annual car tax for one of them, a new phone, pay for things on the long weekend away we've got booked... oh, and I guess I should buy some Christmas presents for people! :lol:

This is an annoyingly expensive time of year :D lol

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:lol:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I just published close to 400 new fancy shapes too, some of which I'm dying to explore.

I might have expected to see 400 new fancy shapes set up like pavement stones - this sort of pavement

Happy New Year!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Well said @OoohShiny

Warm regards,
Rhino

True, that carbon dating (diamond inclusions) could only go back so much, but there are evidences that diamonds are often over billions years old, not the actual time to form (probably formed quickly as @Rhino mentions), but nevertheless that old by linking to distinct tectonic events of the earth.

Billions or hundreds of millions old or not, etc, I think diamonds along with other natural gems such as opals (my latest obsession), are pretty cool. :love:

https://deepcarbon.net/feature/hist...on-cycle-recorded-2-billion-year-old-diamonds

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not specifically related to Rhino, I know, but Yoram is asking for comments on CVD rough vs Mined rough!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brfn5nJnG17/

If he receives positive comments regarding how people like the end, polished article, and how the original form is ultimately relatively irrelevant, hopefully he might be encouraged to cut some!!

*cough*octavias*cough* :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results