shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Ideal Cut MRB

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of continuing to threadjack I thought I'd just start my own thread.
I ordered a 8mm Heart and Arrows ideal cut round from August Vintage after getting my 8mm OEC from Diamondrensu and realizing I prefer the MRB look after all. And if I'm going to get an MRB moissy, I wanted to get the closest to a "super ideal" one I can, because I spend too much time over at RockyTalk and have totally drunk the Kool aid haha. I waffled a bit at first, and was thinking of just getting a diamond from one of the PS recommended vendors, but when I saw the moissy in person, I can honestly say I'm not tempted to upgrade to a diamond.

I can definitely see the difference in optics between the moissy and my diamonds, but I rather like it, I find the extra brightness and rainbowness very pretty and not so much that it looks garish in this size.

I'm a little tempted to buy a hearts and arrows from Tianyu or Stargems just to compare. Don't know what I"d do with it afterwards though :/ If anyone is in the philly area and owns one and want's to a side by side comparison though, let me know! For me personally, I wanted the "mind clean" knowledge of having the most ideal cut MRB I could get in this material so the price was worth it.

That being said, I did order a moissy french cut band from Tianyu, because at 2mm x 2mm and 50-60% lower cost, I'll be ok with good and not great lol.

And now, lots of pictures:

F/G moissy next to F/G diamonds
CCD2D17D-12FC-4717-A3F4-59F0A0056476.jpeg

You can see the diamonds look more "steely" or deep if that makes sense
FA106E9A-81BD-47B4-9933-2F5A097E4A59.jpeg

96EE9B05-ADCE-4FAD-9E98-AE7648C4C5EF.jpeg
CD1AE13E-9CFF-490E-90D1-31B5E6B1D1CF.jpeg
94AB8796-25D8-453E-B5FE-E34CDC518D83.jpeg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inside Barnes and Nobles with the multipoint bright lights.

Looks most different from diamonds in this lighting I think, and is where I see the increased Rainbow light and slight softening of the sharp contrast due to (I assume) double refraction
5E5278F3-0518-44A9-B2BD-F0D2AACD8C74.jpeg 681F53F9-5E9D-44F4-B7A2-A908A4FA8AA6.jpeg EE5665EB-1BA6-43A9-899D-8B0113E00B79.jpeg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will go to the jeweler next week when I pick up my reset FLY diamond (yay!) to have this set into my RG floral setting which currently has the 8mm oec in it.

FF05047F-E20B-4273-AEC1-C113F143815F.jpeg 0861F3B7-9C07-4C95-A006-B2FF8B9664ED.jpeg

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone is absolutely stunning!! :love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see it in the new setting, pretty stone. It's interesting to see the difference in optics next to the five stone.

It is cold here but no snow (CT) I know my son wishes it was snowing.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowza! That’s one gorgeous moissy! :love: I’m not gonna lie..my favorite pics are the ones inside Barnes & Noble. Those rainbow flashes make my heart sigh. :kiss2:

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Ah!! I was wondering when this would arrive. What a sparkle bomb! I'm glad it got the MTG stamp of approval :) I don't own any moissy (yet), so can't comment on the comparison vs. other vendors, but this looks great!

(And you must like it enough, because I see you are now contemplating an AVEC ;-) That sale needs to end so I stop being tempted!)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may sneak over to a forever one store over the weekend to compare it to their MRBs :p

Yes I actually love the extra rainbow sparkles!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! I may have to purchase one myself.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But what if I like it more than my real diamond?!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah!! I was wondering when this would arrive. What a sparkle bomb! I'm glad it got the MTG stamp of approval :) I don't own any moissy (yet), so can't comment on the comparison vs. other vendors, but this looks great!

(And you must like it enough, because I see you are now contemplating an AVEC ;-) That sale needs to end so I stop being tempted!)

It IS great. Truly. Wore it around all day in the ring holder. In diffuse daylight you really can’t tell it’s not a diamond. In the multipoint indoor lighting is where the double refraction effects are a bit more obvious (and honestly might only be obvious to PS people or other who spend a lot of one staring at diamonds). But the effect of rainbow colors doesn’t at all bother me, in fact I find it really beautiful and prismatic and still subtle enough to be glitter and not disco.

And I pulled the trigger on an Avec. Oops?

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
And I pulled the trigger on an Avec. Oops?

Haha. Living vicariously through you! And returning a real diamond means you must deserve two mossies, right? Which size/color did you get? (Excited to see it!)

Also, I def LOLed when I finally realized that you were just casually wearing the moissy in a ring holder and Barnes and Noble hahahaha

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha. Living vicariously through you! And returning a real diamond means you must deserve two mossies, right? Which size/color did you get? (Excited to see it!)

Also, I def LOLed when I finally realized that you were just casually wearing the moissy in a ring holder and Barnes and Noble hahahaha

That was my logic too :p. Certainly the moissy cost much less!

I ended up ordering a 1ct G/H. The MRB is a F and I find it whiter than my F diamonds lol. I decided to go small due to the style of band I want it in.

I’m slowly building a collection of ering alternatives to my 5 stone diamond ring. The 2ct MRB for when I’m feeling like a big solitaire. The 5 stone most days and when I’m feeling flashy. And an AVEC semi bezel band for low key situations. Maybe even do a two ring stack for step cut glam.

The ring in the picture has a .6ct emerald that’s 5.6 x 4.1. The Avec will be a bit bigger at 6x5.

application_assets_catalog_products_all_PD373W-33_IMG_5948 copy.jpg

application_assets_catalog_products_new_PD373W.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @MakingTheGrade Sorry I went MIA on you and your beautiful new stone! I’m actually in the hospital so I’ve been loosely following along, but couldn’t reply.
I realllly love your AV H&A. Almost makes me want one instead of the AVR I have. Lol. Fickle aren’t we? And I see you’ve ordered an AV EC. I can’t wait to see it and that setting you have chosen for it is really fabulous. I’m a bezel gal myself. What are you planning for the H&A?
Oh...and I also agree spending a bit more to have easy returns (who am I kidding, we’re not returning these gorgeous rocks), and knowing the cut is optimal makes it money well spent in my humble opinion. Have fun!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @MakingTheGrade Sorry I went MIA on you and your beautiful new stone! I’m actually in the hospital so I’ve been loosely following along, but couldn’t reply.
I realllly love your AV H&A. Almost makes me want one instead of the AVR I have. Lol. Fickle aren’t we? And I see you’ve ordered an AV EC. I can’t wait to see it and that setting you have chosen for it is really fabulous. I’m a bezel gal myself. What are you planning for the H&A?
Oh...and I also agree spending a bit more to have easy returns (who am I kidding, we’re not returning these gorgeous rocks), and knowing the cut is optimal makes it money well spent in my humble opinion. Have fun!

No worries at all. I hope you’re feeling better!!

The HA is going into the rose gold setting. I realized I didn’t really love the oec Moissy i have in there now. There’s something too “perfect” about it that I don’t like in an oec cut as it turns out. An MRB though...there I need perfect!

Yes. The avec has to be custom cut though so may not see that for another 4-5weeks. I’m ok waiting though :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries at all. I hope you’re feeling better!!

The HA is going into the rose gold setting. I realized I didn’t really love the oec Moissy i have in there now. There’s something too “perfect” about it that I don’t like in an oec cut as it turns out. An MRB though...there I need perfect!

Yes. The avec has to be custom cut though so may not see that for another 4-5weeks. I’m ok waiting though :)

Oh yes, the beautiful rose gold setting. I remember now. Sorry, pain meds make my mind fuzzy. I do so love that setting! Can’t wait to see it set!

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Just when I thought I was over moissanite...this stone has pulled me back in. It's gorgeous!

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So is this pretty close to ideal cut that PS likes to rave about? I really wanna get one but if i am paying that price, i want to make sure its really really ideal lol.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is this pretty close to ideal cut that PS likes to rave about? I really wanna get one but if i am paying that price, i want to make sure its really really ideal lol.

You could probably ask Johnathan at Aug Vintage to take ASET and idealscope pictures for you to know for sure.

My understanding is the line was created to be able to offer ideal cut HA moissy

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Oh no. I hope you get much better quick!

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Your moissy is gorgeous @MakingTheGrade. Thanks for the moissy and diamond side by side comparison. Super helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results