shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion for HW Inspired Halo ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Hello - I''m new here after reading a lot here for the past few weeks. I''m looking to have a HW Inspired Halo ring made - much like I have seen on this site from EricaGraceJewels and one that a member ''Winnie" had made from Mark at engagement rings direct (?) and I have kindly been referred to GOG (Erica Grace Jewells have been such a great help!!!). I am now really in love with this style of stone (was only looking at ''normal'' cushions before)... and I was hoping to gain any advice I can on making the right purchase. I''m financing this myself so the budget isn''t great. Was hoping to find a suitable stone for this setting, whitest within budget,(not a big fan of the tints) with the best cut for optimum sparkle (isn''t everyone?).. And of course as big as my budget can afford without compormising on the beauty of the stone (I think we would all agree on that one)..

I just looked at this one on GOG - a little nervous about the I grading however everything else seems to read well (in my novice opinion) so maybe this is a good choice! My original stone budget was $5k (before that I was staring down the barrel at a CZ!
emsad.gif
)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6931/

I was love anyone''s advice / opinions/ hand holding... It''s a little scary buying online (haven''t seen anything like it in Australia!) Thanks so much for such a great site. x
36.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ''I'' VS2 August Vintage looks lovely to me!

I think this cushion in a HW halo would look amazing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Given the present inventory, I like that choice! It is a nice elongated shape and it is spready for its weight.

If you really want a totally colorless stone, though, I wonder if you would be happy with an I? It will most likely show *some* color from the side in certain lighting, like the barest hint. If you want to never ever see color, this might bother you. I happen to think warmth compliments this cut (though I dislike it in an RB cut), so I think it would be very nice.

IwannaCushion

Rough_Rock
I have an I AVCushion. There is a little tint of color from the side and certain lighting, but otherwise...its white.

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Oh thanks so much everyone... I have been worried about the colouring, but was thinking that maybe the medium fluro would assist with the whitening????? I have heard that a sllllight tinge in the color is great for this type of stone... I have emailed GOG so I await their feedback.

Can anyone explain to me what I should be looking for when reading the ASET image?? I don''t know what makes a ''good'' or ''bad'' image...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally, you want to see lots of red in an ASET image, with some blue, and minimal green (leakage).

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love the Antique Vintage Cushion and I would find an "I" very acceptable in this type of cut. But I don''t mind a hint of warmth. I have an "H" and in some indoor lighting situations I see a hint of off-white. Color is really subjective, there is no "right" color. It''s all about what your eye wants to see everyday. Be prepared to notice a little creamy color in an "I". But I find that shade divine and a worth while trade off for the larger size.

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
thanks - and will the HW Halo setting help with the color? I was thinking that it might - and also the fluro, that should give it a little push too?? I believe a medium blue fluro should give the stone a little more white face up?? hmmm - i see some red in the image so that''s good... What is the other image for - DiamXray? As that is ALL red? I tried to upload this photo but i couldn''t....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 11:24:27 PM
Author: Laila619
Ideally, you want to see lots of red in an ASET image, with some blue, and minimal green (leakage).
black is leakage.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 1:10:34 AM
Author: CushionNovice
thanks - and will the HW Halo setting help with the color? I was thinking that it might - and also the fluro, that should give it a little push too?? I believe a medium blue fluro should give the stone a little more white face up?? hmmm - i see some red in the image so that''s good... What is the other image for - DiamXray? As that is ALL red? I tried to upload this photo but i couldn''t....
http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Color/Fluorescence/

Some information about fluorescence.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 7:17:50 PM
Author:CushionNovice
Hello - I'm new here after reading a lot here for the past few weeks. I'm looking to have a HW Inspired Halo ring made - much like I have seen on this site from EricaGraceJewels and one that a member 'Winnie' had made from Mark at engagement rings direct (?) and I have kindly been referred to GOG (Erica Grace Jewells have been such a great help!!!). I am now really in love with this style of stone (was only looking at 'normal' cushions before)... and I was hoping to gain any advice I can on making the right purchase. I'm financing this myself so the budget isn't great. Was hoping to find a suitable stone for this setting, whitest within budget,(not a big fan of the tints) with the best cut for optimum sparkle (isn't everyone?).. And of course as big as my budget can afford without compormising on the beauty of the stone (I think we would all agree on that one)..

I just looked at this one on GOG - a little nervous about the I grading however everything else seems to read well (in my novice opinion) so maybe this is a good choice! My original stone budget was $5k (before that I was staring down the barrel at a CZ!
emsad.gif
)

I was love anyone's advice / opinions/ hand holding... It's a little scary buying online (haven't seen anything like it in Australia!) Thanks so much for such a great site. x
36.gif
First off all of the August Vintage Cushions (AVC) are specifically designed for light performance especially those big bold mirrors under the table. You will not find a poor choice for any of them as GOG has very high standards in what cushions they allow to be called an AVC.

However the stone you have chosen is quite rectangular and is not as well cut as many of the others offered. For well cut example in your budget I'd suggest any of the following as alternatives:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6732/ (H and smaller than than your choice)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6463/ (G and significantly smaller than your choice)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6740/ (Its a K though and heavier)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6386/ (Smaller faceup and more square with a larger culet but much better cut than the one chosen above)

For HW inspired setting who did you decide on to make the ring?

One thing to keep in mind these cushions is that there will be a contrast in light return to the really bright white round brilliant melee used on a HW halo. I would suggest trying to match the melee color to the color of the diamond within one grade, but even so there will be some contrast as the RB melee will always look a little brighter than the cushion.

Very few of the AVCs have Fluorescence and those that do, really show their color, don't expect better faceup whiteness from an antique cushion cut due to fluoro. They don't faceup as white as the corresponding Round Brilliant with the same color grading and the benefits of Fluorescence and UV lighting are minimial. You may consider the G or H and sacrifice a little bit of size if you really prefer more of an icy white color.

I'd suggest taking a look at this video http://www.vimeo.com/6401615 and this one http://www.vimeo.com/7211664 to get an idea of how your ring might look. The melee (side diamonds) on tacori are very small in Harry Winston inspired settings they should be a little bigger.

If still undecided you can get Jon to do a video comparison of your final 3 or 4 choices.

Good-Luck,

CCL

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello - I'm new here after reading a lot here for the past few weeks. I'm looking to have a HW Inspired Halo ring made - much like I have seen on this site from EricaGraceJewels and one that a member 'Winnie' had made from Mark at engagement rings direct (?) and I have kindly been referred to GOG (Erica Grace Jewells have been such a great help!!!). I am now really in love with this style of stone (was only looking at 'normal' cushions before)... and I was hoping to gain any advice I can on making the right purchase. I'm financing this myself so the budget isn't great. Was hoping to find a suitable stone for this setting, whitest within budget,(not a big fan of the tints) with the best cut for optimum sparkle (isn't everyone?).. And of course as big as my budget can afford without compormising on the beauty of the stone (I think we would all agree on that one)..

emsad.gif
)

I was love anyone's advice / opinions/ hand holding... It's a little scary buying online (haven't seen anything like it in Australia!) Thanks so much for such a great site. x
36.gif
Hi cushionnovice

I would ask Jon to if he can do a comparison video for you with the diamond you have selected along with some others he could suggest, this could be very helpful.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 10:17:19 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi cushionnovice

I would ask Jon to if he can do a comparison video for you with the diamond you have selected along with some others he could suggest, this could be very helpful.

I agree 100%.

Color is a personal preference. My round was an H and I was perfectly content with the color. When hunting for an AVC, I originally expanded the color range to an I. Upon viewing an H and D side by side, I was immediately drawn to the D. I know a D is overkill but I loved the icy white color.

Express your desires and concerns to Jon and ask what he would recommend.

d-nice

Rough_Rock
Just a quick note
ASET=(shows how the entire diamond uses light that it pulls in through the crown)
Greens= light entering from about 0-45 degrees (the horizon)
Reds = light entereing from about 45-75 degrees(overhead lighting)
Blues= light entering from about 75-90 degrees (head and body shadow)
Whites = leakage

DiamXray(shows how the pavillion of the stone is functioning)

Blacks = same as head and body shadow in ASET
Reds = light return
Whites = leakage

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flor will only affect the color of the diamond when you are in bright sunlight, and in my experience that is not where any body color will show up anyways
4.gif
You will notice body color from a tilt angle in your car, or in diffuse indoor lighting the most. But if you play to halo the ring this is all moot really -- you will not see the pavilion in such a setting, and the high crown will mean nice light being reflected back even at tilt angles. I don''t think I would worry about the color, but you do need to know for yourself.

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again all - question for ChunkyCushionLover (sorry i haven''t learned how to respond in this forum to particular posts..) You have mentioned better cuts - thank you. Can you tell me how i can learn about what a better cut is and what to look for (or is that a lifetime task?)... I ask because the stone i choose was listed as ideal in symmetry and polish.... so to look at the ones you have listed, and to see they are just ''good'' in both categories, i wonder what it is that i''m looking for?

And to answer about who to make the ring - I have only spoken to Erica Grace Jewels - I wouldn''t even know where to start in Australia (I live in Melbourne)....and it was Erica that put me onto GOG (I was blindly looking up any random sites)...

Oh and I have emailed gog and asked for videos.

If you have a minute to let me know about what makes a better cut, that would be lovely..

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 7:18:18 AM
Author: CushionNovice
Can you tell me how i can learn about what a better cut is and what to look for (or is that a lifetime task?)... I ask because the stone i choose was listed as ideal in symmetry and polish.... so to look at the ones you have listed, and to see they are just ''good'' in both categories, i wonder what it is that i''m looking for?

The cut quality is determined by the numbers you see on the report and one way for you to tell is to look at the ASET. In simplistic terms, white represents leakage so it''s not something you want too much of. The funny thing is that symmetry and polish don''t really determine cut quality. Unfortunately, I am heading out and can''t explain more at this time.

Below are some links to give you an intro to these topics.
Click here to learn about ASET
Click here to learn more about Symmetry
Click here to learn more about Polish

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 9:55:38 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Hello - I''m new here after reading a lot here for the past few weeks. I''m looking to have a HW Inspired Halo ring made - much like I have seen on this site from EricaGraceJewels and one that a member ''Winnie'' had made from Mark at engagement rings direct (?) and I have kindly been referred to GOG (Erica Grace Jewells have been such a great help!!!). I am now really in love with this style of stone (was only looking at ''normal'' cushions before)... and I was hoping to gain any advice I can on making the right purchase. I''m financing this myself so the budget isn''t great. Was hoping to find a suitable stone for this setting, whitest within budget,(not a big fan of the tints) with the best cut for optimum sparkle (isn''t everyone?).. And of course as big as my budget can afford without compormising on the beauty of the stone (I think we would all agree on that one)..

emsad.gif
)

I was love anyone''s advice / opinions/ hand holding... It''s a little scary buying online (haven''t seen anything like it in Australia!) Thanks so much for such a great site. x
36.gif

First off all of the August Vintage Cushions (AVC) are specifically designed for light performance especially those big bold mirrors under the table. You will not find a poor choice for any of them as GOG has very high standards in what cushions they allow to be called an AVC.

However the stone you have chosen is quite rectangular and is not as well cut as many of the others offered. For well cut example in your budget I''d suggest any of the following as alternatives:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6732/ (H and smaller than than your choice)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6463/ (G and significantly smaller than your choice)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6740/ (Its a K though and heavier)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6386/ (Smaller faceup and more square with a larger culet but much better cut than the one chosen above)

For HW inspired setting who did you decide on to make the ring?

One thing to keep in mind these cushions is that there will be a contrast in light return to the really bright white round brilliant melee used on a HW halo. I would suggest trying to match the melee color to the color of the diamond within one grade, but even so there will be some contrast as the RB melee will always look a little brighter than the cushion.

Very few of the AVCs have Fluorescence and those that do, really show their color, don''t expect better faceup whiteness from an antique cushion cut due to fluoro. They don''t faceup as white as the corresponding Round Brilliant with the same color grading and the benefits of Fluorescence and UV lighting are minimial. You may consider the G or H and sacrifice a little bit of size if you really prefer more of an icy white color.

I''d suggest taking a look at this video http://www.vimeo.com/6401615 and this one http://www.vimeo.com/7211664 to get an idea of how your ring might look. The melee (side diamonds) on tacori are very small in Harry Winston inspired settings they should be a little bigger.

If still undecided you can get Jon to do a video comparison of your final 3 or 4 choices.

Good-Luck,

CCL

Thanks everyone again - i''m learning so much! I have a question about the HW inspired setting. I have noticed that the side stones are quite small and ideally i think i would like them to be a little bigger (was told they were .008 and i was thinking i would like them to be around .01 - .02) is this too big? or does that compromise the design? I would prefer the stones to be a little bigger and less of them. Will a ring designer mind me asking that? (I''m also not going to get the stones going all the way around the band - just stopping at the side (where they hit your other finger - i think this will assist a teeny bit to stay in my budget and eliminate the worry about loosing the stones due to the pressure on the side of the ring).. Does anyone have images of a HW ring with larger side stones (I think this is called the mellee
23.gif
)

30.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone again - i'm learning so much! I have a question about the HW inspired setting. I have noticed that the side stones are quite small and ideally i think i would like them to be a little bigger (was told they were .008 and i was thinking i would like them to be around .01 - .02) is this too big? or does that compromise the design? I would prefer the stones to be a little bigger and less of them. Will a ring designer mind me asking that? (I'm also not going to get the stones going all the way around the band - just stopping at the side (where they hit your other finger - i think this will assist a teeny bit to stay in my budget and eliminate the worry about loosing the stones due to the pressure on the side of the ring).. Does anyone have images of a HW ring with larger side stones (I think this is called the mellee
23.gif
)

30.gif
My wife has an HW inspired ring with 1.59 Ct centre created by ERD with 1 pointers in the halo melee.
You can see a picture of it faceup in this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-%E2%80%93-what-just-happened-and-why.136502/page-2.

The question of size really depends on the size of the centre stone in proportion to the halo melee, the size of the prongs used and the size of the halo bezel(the metal underneath). You will also see in the above thread that handmade designers like Ocean Pearlman and Leon Mege are able to create rings with small prongs where the diamonds are closer to the centre, whereas even with experienced CAD/CAM wax jewelers the prongs are a little larger and not quite as precisely placed.

A ring desinger whomever you choose should be happy to accept all of your input and try to design it to your wishes. I would put all of your ideas and fine details into a file and give it to them in writing so that there are no communication problems. The file on our ring was close to 10 pages and included a lot of marked up diagrams.

The best thing would be to look at diamond melee size in other rings and get a feel for the size you like in person, pictures can be deceiving and are very dependant on the size of the centre stone.
I'll answer your questions about cut tomorrow I am out tonight celebrating Canada's Olympic Hockey victory
36.gif
10.gif

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Enjoy hockey celebrations!
21.gif

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 10:32:19 PM
Author: IwannaCushion
I have an I AVCushion. There is a little tint of color from the side and certain lighting, but otherwise...its white.
Hi IwannaCushion - do you have any pics on here of you I AVCushion? I would love to see the color! Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results