shape
carat
color
clarity

AUFTA - No 5% customs duty for Aussie Buyers

DylanAU

Rough_Rock
I just came across this thread explaining Aussies buying our diamonds from the US can apply for concessional rate of duty  as per the Australian - US Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA), under shedule 5 of the Tariff Act.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ia-without-customs-import-duty-yeahhh.135724/

My diamond is already on its was with FedEx and should arrive early next week... Does anyone know whether it's too late for me to apply for this? I will call customs on Monday but would like to hear if any Aussie PSers has had a similar experience?

Frankly I am a little disappointed that JamesAllen.com didn't even mention this to me, as I pretty sure they get a few Auisse sales.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
James Allen should have informed FedEx and provided documents that the ring is exempt, you should get a call from whoever is handling your ring when it goes through customs that you need to pay GST before they'll release the ring and you can check with them if the 5% has been charged. If it's too late, you can apply for the refund retrospectively as I understand it. I didn't have to, I just paid GST on my ring amount. I didn't fill in any documents I just paid over the phone by credit card.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
DylanAU|1348328252|3272833 said:
Frankly I am a little disappointed that JamesAllen.com didn't even mention this to me, as I pretty sure they get a few Auisse sales.

Dylan,

You have no reason to be disappointed. We have an electronic AUSFTA on file with Fedex and all packages to Australia include a Shippers Export Declaration and a big sticker on the box stating the contents are covered by the Free Trade Act and that no duty should apply.

With that said, Australian Customs are notoriously bad for ignoring the documents, sticker, electronic AUSFTA, etc and there is a reasonable chance they'll ask you to pay the fee's anyway. If that happens you should send us an email and we'll work with Fedex to get things cleared up.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

Wow! That is very good of you. Other vendors usually leave the customer to deal with it on their own after the package has been sent.

Dylan, there is a very high chance that the customs officer will ignore the paperwork and charge you the full 15%, if it happens you will have to pay it but you can then apply for a refund.

If the package is already in transit I would call FedEx ASAP and get them to mark the tracking as having AUSFTA paperwork on the packaging and hopefully someone will process it correctly.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know for when I eventually make some purchases. Also very nice of the vendor to fill you in. Hope it all goes well :wavey:

DylanAU

Rough_Rock
hawaiianorangetree said:

Wow! That is very good of you. Other vendors usually leave the customer to deal with it on their own after the package has been sent.

Dylan, there is a very high chance that the customs officer will ignore the paperwork and charge you the full 15%, if it happens you will have to pay it but you can then apply for a refund.

If the package is already in transit I would call FedEx ASAP and get them to mark the tracking as having AUSFTA paperwork on the packaging and hopefully someone will process it correctly.

Thank you James Allen for your quick response!

It is great to know that JA is happy to take responsibility for this type of thing for us downunder because we usually get the rawer end of the deal because we are so far away... Yes our customs are notoriously bad and it's very reassuring that I have purchased from an online retailer that is with me all the way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results