shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring delivered to Australia without customs import duty - yeahhh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

Just an update for fellow aussies. The wonderful thread below started by Lestat highlighted that it can be possible to get rings shipped to australia without having to pay import duty ( a saving of 5%) due to our free trade agreement with the US

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-ring-ausfta.130164/

Well following everyones adivce I rang customs ( the first guy disconnected me - the questions was too difficult
26.gif
), but the second guy was wonderful, he took me through the process and said that my ring would not require customs duty and that WF needed to state to FedEx that I wanted to:

apply for concessional rate of duty as per the Australian - US Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA), under shedule 5 of the Tariff Act.

He took me through the act over the phone confirmed all was OK.

Which leads to .... my fed ex call that my ring was in transit and could I please pay GST , but no customs duty..... yeahhh.

So thanks again to Lestat and arjuane and everyone else who posted, the key is perserverence and getting the right person at customs who can take you through the process.

So to any other aussies, go for it...I cant believe that we are entiteld to this and it just isnt readily known.

Thanks
D2b
Ring shots to follow once I have received it, but the preview from WF and Joe looks fantastic and I cant wait.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

stci

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Now.... how about inssurance if they don''t declare the price of this item? Could you explain for me please?

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! I''m glad it worked out for you!
36.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
That`s great!!!
36.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
STCI,

The price of the item needs to be declared as GST (our Goods and Services Tax) is 10% of the price. Which I still need to pay.

So it doesnt affect insurance. It just means I dont need to pay an additional 5% on top of GST, total cost and any shipping fees, which in my case was a nice little saving.

36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Congrats D2B!

I just updated that thread as I got my first refund for duty application approved the other week - woot!
I am now in the process of tracking down ppwk to get refunds for the rest - I know you and others are likel in the same situation as I with a number of prior purchases, so I can vouch that it works!

I think one of the really good things about this is the awareness it is raising with vendors too, so hopefully eventually not just PS''ers will benefit from the knowledge.
I know GOG and BGD are going to inform their Aussie clients after I explained it to them, and apparently WF is currently working on something to put on their site
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done AJ and Lestat!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2010 3:12:09 AM
Author: arjunajane
Congrats D2B!

I just updated that thread as I got my first refund for duty application approved the other week - woot!
I am now in the process of tracking down ppwk to get refunds for the rest - I know you and others are likel in the same situation as I with a number of prior purchases, so I can vouch that it works!

I think one of the really good things about this is the awareness it is raising with vendors too, so hopefully eventually not just PS''ers will benefit from the knowledge.
I know GOG and BGD are going to inform their Aussie clients after I explained it to them, and apparently WF is currently working on something to put on their site
36.gif
Can you send me an email with detailed information too please? I have clients in Australia that I need to contact about this, but would like to know more.

Wink

stci

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 2:38:15 AM
Author: D2B
STCI,

The price of the item needs to be declared as GST (our Goods and Services Tax) is 10% of the price. Which I still need to pay.

So it doesnt affect insurance. It just means I dont need to pay an additional 5% on top of GST, total cost and any shipping fees, which in my case was a nice little saving.

36.gif
Great! Thank you for helpful information!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome D2B! I can''t wait to see some real life pics of the ring!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 8:47:34 AM
Author: Wink
Date: 2/6/2010 3:12:09 AM

Author: arjunajane

Congrats D2B!

36.gif

Can you send me an email with detailed information too please? I have clients in Australia that I need to contact about this, but would like to know more.

Wink

Hi Wink,

getting onto this now;
good stuff for helping out your Aussie clients
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 5:57:00 AM
Author: Lorelei
Well done AJ and Lestat!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thankyou Lorelei!

Just as soon as I can find some personal time away from Uni and work, I would sincerely like to put all of the info into a journal article so a wider audience can benefit from it..

Hopefully I can have that done soon.
1.gif

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Leon Mege is also onto this - when I spoke to him yesterday he actually brought it up before I had a chance to, and I see today that he has added Lestat''s helpful summary of info to his website!

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 10:05:41 AM
Author: pancake
Leon Mege is also onto this - when I spoke to him yesterday he actually brought it up before I had a chance to, and I see today that he has added Lestat's helpful summary of info to his website!

Hey, that's good news
21.gif
I sent e-mails to both Whiteflash and Leon Mege, Leon asked permission to quote me on his webpage. I haven't been able to see where he added it, could you please post the link for me?

ETA: I've just found it
1.gif
Unfortunately he edited the e-mail a bit, and removed the link to the Pricescope thread, and the credits to the other members here. Oh well, at least it will notify Aussies that the free trade agreement exists
1.gif

Maggie May

Rough_Rock
AWESOME !!!!

I''m awaiting a ring from ID Jewelery so I''ll get onto this straight away.

Does anybody know if ID Jewelery are aware of this ?

A lovely savings would help me buy my earrings
36.gif
31.gif

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
My sister was also successful with this after purchasing her engagement ring from BGD.

After 8 (!) calls to Customs, she was told that she could submit the paperwork herself by email/fax (it''s the declaration that Lestat posted late in the other thread) without vendor involvement. Might work for those of you who have just purchased from vendors that are not yet aware of the policies? She called Customs as soon as Lesley told her it was on the way, and eventually struck a good Customs agent that she suspects resubmitted the paperwork to exclude the duty.

I will be testing this again with BGD in the next month or so
36.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Just an update - WF has put the information for their australian customers on their FAQ section on their website, lots of info - yeahhh got to be good to get the vendors on board

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/faq.aspx?articleid=831&zoneid=11

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results