shape
carat
color
clarity

Audit of jewelry, how do you display?

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Hi pricescopers,

I'm currently doing a jewelry audit/making a record of my gems - trying to work out what I could sell & what I desperately can't etc

I realized that I don't display my jewelry at all (all stored in wooden jewelry boxes) which probably makes me less likely to rotate items. I end up wearing my ACA diamond studs & just basic wedding ring.

How do you keep a record of your items & how do you present them in good personal space ? Looking for inspiration

(And trying hard not to buy new stuff / "shop your jewelry box" etc)

Thanks in advance

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I made plans for all this then forgot about them so I will say what I WANT to do. :lol-2:

I would like to put my jewelry for the week in a smaller jewelry box that's easy to get to while the rest is either put up or locked up. Rotate each week so I wear everything I have and notice what I no longer want to wear.

I would also like to have a folder with the info. on each piece. A photo, the receipt if I have one and whatever other info. I have that might be useful, and review it once a year. It would be good for if I ever need to file an insurance claim or for my heirs. Not that I have the crown jewels but I'm sure the one who would have to sort it all out would appreciate the help in identifying it. :)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Well I have a few different places for mine. But for the pieces that aren't daily drivers I have a couple of cute acrylic storage boxes. One is a straight jewellery box, but it's pretty small. Just 3 small drawers. So I tend to use it for my silver and my titanium since my allergies mean I don't wear it for too long. Just short trips like to groceries or out with my husband and daughter. So it has a nice place to go after I take it off and I can see what's in there through the top.

I also have another also see through but a little less, acrylic box that's meant for makeup right next to it. It's green with two larger drawers and has a clear removable tray on top but I use it to store my necklaces so I can see what's in there and they can be laid out with plenty of space. It also stores some other silver.

I also like to store things in velvet boxes on occasion. But I love them a bit too much. I have a whole basket of empty velvet storage boxes and not enough pieces to go in! But I don't mind a bit xD

As far as records go I don't currently have any other than a few appraisals since most of my stuff is silver and what isn't silver is usually on my person. But eventually I might get a folder or something for them and take some pictures to put with it.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, I don't "display" my jewelry because there are occasionally people in my home who I don't know very well and you just never know. I've had things go missing before and it was upsetting to have to wonder if this person or that person may have taken it. I keep it out of sight if not locked up. That also goes for the "fun" (cheap lol) jewelry but that's because I just prefer to keep surfaces clear.

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
@seaurchin - that folder / pic idea sounds so good. When I went through it all (I just made note for each thing briefly) but having it organised and with pics is good way to remind myself what I might want to wear. I will put that on my to-do list (also good point re having a record for future).

I did find a few things I had forgotten - mostly un-set stones. And luckily located the one or two things I had worried I had lost.

Yes, probably best to have anything very expensive insured/tucked away well. (None of my things are really very rare/expensive).

@MeowMeow that's a good idea - see through drawers - I could do that with earrings I might rotate. I love velvet toooooo (if i ever get something in a nice box, it tends to stay in it).

thanks!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@seaurchin - that folder / pic idea sounds so good. When I went through it all (I just made note for each thing briefly) but having it organised and with pics is good way to remind myself what I might want to wear. I will put that on my to-do list (also good point re having a record for future).

I did find a few things I had forgotten - mostly un-set stones. And luckily located the one or two things I had worried I had lost.

Yes, probably best to have anything very expensive insured/tucked away well. (None of my things are really very rare/expensive).

@MeowMeow that's a good idea - see through drawers - I could do that with earrings I might rotate. I love velvet toooooo (if i ever get something in a nice box, it tends to stay in it).

thanks!

Yes! Velvet is so pretty! I love all the colour combinations and styles the boxes can come in! I'm always on the lookout for more too. So i'll need a bigger box for my empty boxes eventually

And yes an acrylic box would be great for that! I grabbed mine from Amazon. My only wish would be that it came with more ring (also useful for studs!!) spots xD but I'm working on trying to find some pre made ring holders that might fit my green one since it has lots of space in one drawer still.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I got the Stella Ultimate jewelry box from Pottery Barn last year. I had previously had rings in one Wolf box, earrings in another, and it was getting annoying.
1705598008165.png
It really does a good job of holding most of my collection, and displaying it in a way where I can see everything. I did have to get a little resourceful however, because it doesn't have any ring rolls. So I found these sheets of velvet foam mat on Amazon that I was able to cut to fit in the tray, and it now has more than enough ring slots.
20240117_210803-EDIT.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the Stella Ultimate jewelry box from Pottery Barn last year. I had previously had rings in one Wolf box, earrings in another, and it was getting annoying.
1705598008165.png
It really does a good job of holding most of my collection, and displaying it in a way where I can see everything. I did have to get a little resourceful however, because it doesn't have any ring rolls. So I found these sheets of velvet foam mat on Amazon that I was able to cut to fit in the tray, and it now has more than enough ring slots.
20240117_210803-EDIT.jpg

Wow this is gorgeous!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do y’all display and organize stuff at home without fear of things getting disappeared (either on accident or stolen)? We have house cleaners weekly as well as other family/house support vendors irregularly come through.

My struggle is how to keep pieces accessible at home to wear when I want to when the mood strikes on a whim vs. keeping it safe at the bank safety deposit.

Unfortunately my safety deposit is not conveniently close by nor easy to access post-pandemic as we now need appointments in advance. Ugh.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do y’all display and organize stuff at home without fear of things getting disappeared (either on accident or stolen)? We have house cleaners weekly as well as other family/house support vendors irregularly come through.

My struggle is how to keep pieces accessible at home to wear when I want to when the mood strikes on a whim vs. keeping it safe at the bank safety deposit.

Unfortunately my safety deposit is not conveniently close by nor easy to access post-pandemic as we now need appointments in advance. Ugh.

I keep a heavy AF in room safe. Nothing super fancy but nothing anyone just passing through around the house would be able to get into. It's also fireproof so I prefer that for safe stuff keeping in general.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results