shape
carat
color
clarity

Auction ring - easy to change?

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t looked at the local auction house for a long time but saw an advert so had to take a look…. I have seen this a diamond and petal ring with the description:
Yellow gold, pearl and diamond ring of a foliate design, the pearl within a diamond petal surround, to diamond shoulders, ring size L.
I am a K1/2 so coukd be resized. I like the design but not the pearl, see if I can get the ring and swap out the pearl for a coloured stone? Or too much work and just get custom made?
It has opening offers of GBP 300 and an estimate of GBP400/450.
IMG_2611.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If you’re in the U.K. the work to swap out the Pearl might be prohibitively expensive. But if you have a bench you use and know well that doesn’t cost the earth I would give it a shot. I could certainly get that sitting made here in UAE for £300 (minus Pearl). But then it wouldn’t be vintage.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
If you’re in the U.K. the work to swap out the Pearl might be prohibitively expensive. But if you have a bench you use and know well that doesn’t cost the earth I would give it a shot. I could certainly get that sitting made here in UAE for £300 (minus Pearl). But then it wouldn’t be vintage.

I am in Guernsey so our prices can be lower than the UK as no VAT.
I do use a local jeweller who is reasonable.
The auction house is open for viewings tomorrow so I may go and take a look.
Could you get the setting inclusive of the diamonds for GBP300?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearl is probably on a stem post and glued in. Removing it will be easy enough but to set another gem you will need prongs made and added.
As I’ve discovered almost anything is possible but is the expense worth it?
It should be cheaper to modify an existing ring rather than have a jeweller make it for you, but the most economical way would be to buy a ring with a prong set centre gem.
And with auctions, check first what the buyers premium is (can be up to 25%), if you bid using an online platform like Live Auctioneer they charge up to another 3% and if you use a credit card or PayPal for payment, expect yet another fee. Also, you often only have a short time period to pay and collect or the Auction house reserves the right to charge storage fees. Finally, if you need the Auction house to ship there can be a handling charge in additional to the shipping and insurance cost you’ll have to pay.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
The pearl is probably on a stem post and glued in. Removing it will be easy enough but to set another gem you will need prongs made and added.
As I’ve discovered almost anything is possible but is the expense worth it?
It should be cheaper to modify an existing ring rather than have a jeweller make it for you, but the most economical way would be to buy a ring with a prong set centre gem.
And with auctions, check first what the buyers premium is (can be up to 25%), if you bid using an online platform like Live Auctioneer they charge up to another 3% and if you use a credit card or PayPal for payment, expect yet another fee. Also, you often only have a short time period to pay and collect or the Auction house reserves the right to charge storage fees. Finally, if you need the Auction house to ship there can be a handling charge in additional to the shipping and insurance cost you’ll have to pay.

Thank you. I didn’t manage to go and view it yesterday but they are open for viewings on Monday and Tuesday so I will go and take a look at lunchtime.
They charge a 18% buyers premium and I will be able to collect as it’s really close to me. I live on a small island so nothing is far:)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I didn’t manage to go and view it yesterday but they are open for viewings on Monday and Tuesday so I will go and take a look at lunchtime.
They charge a 18% buyers premium and I will be able to collect as it’s really close to me. I live on a small island so nothing is far:)

completly off topic but id love to see some pictures of Guernsey-it looks very pretty from what ive seen on the internet
when you have some spare time after this ring auction and possible alteration id done and dusted

Genas

Rough_Rock
Trade
I haven’t looked at the local auction house for a long time but saw an advert so had to take a look…. I have seen this a diamond and petal ring with the description:
Yellow gold, pearl and diamond ring of a foliate design, the pearl within a diamond petal surround, to diamond shoulders, ring size L.
I am a K1/2 so coukd be resized. I like the design but not the pearl, see if I can get the ring and swap out the pearl for a coloured stone? Or too much work and just get custom made?
It has opening offers of GBP 300 and an estimate of GBP400/450.
IMG_2611.jpeg

That sounds like a beautiful ring! Swapping out the pearl for a colored stone could give it a unique touch, but make sure to check with a jeweler about the feasibility and cost. Sometimes customizing an existing piece can be more affordable than getting a new one made. Have you thought about what type of stone you'd like to replace the pearl with?

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
completly off topic but id love to see some pictures of Guernsey-it looks very pretty from what ive seen on the internet
when you have some spare time after this ring auction and possible alteration id done and dusted

Yes, Guernsey is lovely and I may be biased:) I will have to try and take some photos, most of my photos are of the plants in the garden, dogs, baking for work and woodworking!

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
That sounds like a beautiful ring! Swapping out the pearl for a colored stone could give it a unique touch, but make sure to check with a jeweler about the feasibility and cost. Sometimes customizing an existing piece can be more affordable than getting a new one made. Have you thought about what type of stone you'd like to replace the pearl with?

I am annoyed with myself as I forgot to go and view the ring and now I don’t know what to do…… The jeweller I use is reasonable and will always give you an honest answer. Maybe I should send him a quick email to see what he thinks about swapping the pearl out.
I would replace with a pink sapphire or something pink. Ideally I would like a cheap costume ring to give the look a test run before going to the expense of having a ring redesigned.

Genas

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am annoyed with myself as I forgot to go and view the ring and now I don’t know what to do…… The jeweller I use is reasonable and will always give you an honest answer. Maybe I should send him a quick email to see what he thinks about swapping the pearl out.
I would replace with a pink sapphire or something pink. Ideally I would like a cheap costume ring to give the look a test run before going to the expense of having a ring redesigned.

That sounds like a good plan! Sending a quick email to your jeweler for advice is a smart move. A pink sapphire would look stunning in that setting. Testing the look with a costume ring first is also a great idea. It gives you a chance to see how you like the design before committing to the changes. Let me know how it goes!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't---- here's why: the pearl halo base likely is more of a dome shape unless it's a button pearl. That's going to look a little weird when a new stone is set. Secondly, it's actually much harder than you think to find a natural gem that's a specific size, unless it's calibrated, and even then, so many calibrated gems are stinkers. I'd pass on this and instead search for "scalloped halo" pink sapphire rings. If you added up your budget to what the true cost might be (let's optimistically say, $350 for the ring, $850 for a pink sapphire, and then $350 for labor... that's $1500 for a "cheap" ring)

Edit, nice sapphire for $795, same ballpark--https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-518

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Adding a comp of a ring that's similar (scallop halo) but already done. $1000 USD OBO on ebay

1716460406012.png
Note, this one is M size. When you're doing resizing, last time I did it in the US it was $100 USD.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
That sounds like a good plan! Sending a quick email to your jeweler for advice is a smart move. A pink sapphire would look stunning in that setting. Testing the look with a costume ring first is also a great idea. It gives you a chance to see how you like the design before committing to the changes. Let me know how it goes!

I didn’t have time to email the jeweller today and decided not to place an unseen bid. The ring did go for £320 only £20 over the estimate.
I will look for a costume ring and then make my decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results