shape
carat
color
clarity

Atrocious behaviour at Tiffany NY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 9:17:32 PM
Author: Kaleigh
First thing is you should never have taken your ring off in the first place. Tiff's or not. The SA should never have handed it off without your permission to his sales manager either. I would have glady showed my ring while safely on my finger, but that's water over the bridge.
Lesson learnt. No more scolding, pretty please?
1.gif

Carats,
I will keep you posted.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 9:06:14 PM
Author: diamondfan
Well. insults aside, handing your ring off to a stranger is not a good thing to do. That is what I would really focus on. I am sure they will be most apologetic.
Am I the only one who would hand a ring to a tiffany''s employee? I don''t see anything wrong with handing your jewelry to a store employee - I DO see a problem with them handing it to someone who doesn''t work there. To me that is the #1 issue and really the only thing that needs to be followed up on. The employee''s rude and catty behavior is just that - tacky, disrespectful, rude, and if the store wants to do something about it... fine... if not... whatever. But on the security issue... I would absolutely follow up on that. I would also find out who would have been liable had the other person taken off with it which since you handed it to a store employee, I imagine it would leave the store liable, and THAT is an issue that would be in their own best interests to keep their staff trained on.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 9:29:52 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 3/4/2007 9:17:32 PM
Author: Kaleigh
First thing is you should never have taken your ring off in the first place. Tiff's or not. The SA should never have handed it off without your permission to his sales manager either. I would have glady showed my ring while safely on my finger, but that's water over the bridge.
Lesson learnt. No more scolding, pretty please?
1.gif

Carats,
I will keep you posted.
I wasn't scolding you at all!!!
2.gif
Just saying it as I always do. Hey my ering is from Tiff's I know many of the SA"s . But do I know their customers??? Nope. But not that you knew that was going to happen... I worked for a high end jewelry store for years and never would have done that. So was speaking from my experience.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, I would not hand it over in the middle of a crowded store to a SA I did not know. I take my ring off at my Tiffany''s for cleaning etc, but I either go back to customer service or hand it to my salesguy, the one person that I deal with exclusively in the store. I would not just take it off and hand it to someone at a crowded counter.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra,
Liability depends on whether or not a reasonable person would have foreseen that the SA would hand the ring over to a non-employee. I think I'm a pretty reasonable person.
2.gif

Kaleigh,
Of course I know you weren't really scolding me!

DF,
The original SA sold us my original e-ring.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t read all the responses in the thread, but I do agree that the salesperson''s behavior was not appropriate. I hope she is reprimanded for her rude behavior. It just goes to show how stupid a salesperson can be. It reminds me of two stories.

Story #1.
I was shopping in Nordstroms and was browsing all over carrying a handful of clothes and strolled through the petite section and I picked up something that was appealing to me. A salesperson yelled at me from about 12 feet away and said, "Mam, your in petites". I am not a petite size, but I was just looking. I was so pissed, I hung up what I had in my arms and walked out. She caused her store to lose out that day.

Story #2.
Many moons ago, I was shopping at a jewelry store and was looking at rings. I saw another customer looking at her hand with a very pretty ring and wedding band and I wanted to take a closer look. I asked the salesperson if I could try it on after she was finished. The salesperson said sure. I was looking in the cases and the salesperson brought me the ring I wanted to see. I put it on, but then it hit me that this was not a new ring. I had just tried on someone''s engagement ring. I took it off immediately and gave it back. I watched her take it back to it''s rightful owner. I was so embarressed, I apologized profusely to the ring''s owner and left.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew that, I was thinking you were dealing with someone you knew and there was someone else there.

Diamond, the thing with Nordstrom, again, she was rude, but who really lost in the end? Nordstrom does not know you did not buy that day, and she does not know she caused it. And you might have missed out on stuff you wanted, though it probably was of benefit to your wallet! That is a punishment that really does not accomplish punishing the intended person...in mho.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 9:19:36 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/3/2007 9:02:06 AM
I let the first SA, who was very nice, handle my ring because he was genuinely intrigued by it. Also, he sold me my original e-ring, a Lucida.

Btw, the awful SA is a manager of the e-ring floor.
Maybe not for long if she keeps that kind of behavior up...
ditto

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The fact that she''s a manager makes it worse, doesn''t it?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, one would hope her training would have eliminated the chance that she would be argumentative with customers and hand their personal items to total strangers, but just because she is in management does not mean she is not prone to making a mistake. Certainly, if I were her superior, I might spend some time going over some key things. Who knows? Maybe this is not the first time that she has made a blunder like this. I am sure it is something that the higher ups will frown upon. ALL customers, even those just browsing who will never spend a dime there should be treated with decency and respect.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
As a retail manager I'd like to say it is typically more effective to contact the corporate office when something like this occurs. Most employees in retail stores are a direct reflection of the manager of that particular location. Usually what that means is your concern is more likely to be laughed off in the back room rather than be addressed. This is especially true if the offending SA is a manager (Which I think you said she was). If your motivation behind your complaint is to really let the company know what is going on in their store, I don't think the manager there is your best bet, he/she is typically already aware.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I''ll try the corporate office. Anyone have their contact info?

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
wow, it sure seems like she was rubbing the fact that you didn't have a tiffany brand name ring in your face! and in some ways implying that tiffany was better than your ring in order to make a sale and offending you at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!! thats really rude and unprofessional and immature!!!!!!!!!!! i hope she got fired, she deserves it.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Mr. Michael J. Kowalski is the CEO,
Ms. Beth O. Canavan is Exec. VP of Retail Sales

Tiffany & Co.
727 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update:
2 of the offending SA''s directors (1 is her direct superior) just called me. They claim (i) that she never handed the ring to the client, that it was the original SA who did so; (ii) that the client was actually a Tiffany employee; (iii) the offending SA made the comment she did because she was put in an awkward position. They say it is Tiffany''s policy to not comment on non-Tiffany items.

A number of points:
1. I accept that I was mistaken as to who handed the ring to the client/employee.
2. I accept that the offending SA was put in an awkward position.
3. But, she could just have said "I can''t comment."
4. Also, given that the client was ostensibly an employee, there was no sale she had to save.
5. I waited to speak to her in private. She could have explained her position then. Instead, she categorically denied ever having made her offensive remark.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 10:40:43 AM
Author: Nicrez
If this was in the NY, their Director is brand new. You may NOT want to contact Kowalski on this one. You won''t get even close to the block near his front door..

I will see if I can get you the number for someone better, give me a bit. Out of curisoity, was she petite, dark hair, likely pulled back and did her name start with an R? I think I know who you mean... (there are only 2 females managers of the 2nd floor that I know of...) I am VERY sorry to hear they treated you like that. Personally, I think I would have made stink right then and there. I would have walked up to her, and very politely asked that she accompany me to her superior.
Thanks, Nicrez. Her name is Rosalie A.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, know her. Although she has always been nice to me, I can see why this all happened. Super Pro-Tiffany person. Very agressive sales, but hey that''s why she is manager...

Sorry to hear that! That sucks...some people can make mistakes, and I suppose this one was hers. Although you know it''s a pervading ideology you are fighting and not a stupid mistake...it''s almost a corporate culture. Imagine that a company with a decent hold in high end sales employs people with enough gemological or secondary education to know the difference between a TCO diamond and a Zales. The history and name brand is what they latch onto, and to them, on the whole their company is better than most copetitors. The know nothing of the smaller brands that can compete in other arenas. To be honest, most people don''t know...

So, with that, you get people who are so bolstered up to be working at TCO that they act this way toward others because they truly believe they work for the best company EVER...they would not be good sales people otherwise...but perhaps sometimes they make crappy human beings... Sorry again...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nicrez,
What would you consider a satisfactory resolution?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 11:15:26 AM
Author: Nicrez
it''s a pervading ideology you are fighting and not a stupid mistake...it''s almost a corporate culture. you get people who are so bolstered up to be working at TCO that they act this way toward others because they truly believe they work for the best company EVER...

Interesting ... I imagine there''s quite a bit of drama betwixt arrogant/superior-feeling salesfolks -AND- the wealthy, perhaps entitled/discriminating clientele in all kinds of luxury stores. MEOW!

Remember how peeved OPRAH got at Hermes??

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oprah was peeved at Hermes because they wouldn't let her shop after hours, a situation which is entirely distinguishable from mine.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Well, at least they called you. This is a non starter. Nothing more to do, IMO. At least you did not suffer any damage to your ring. Now it''s up to you if you ever want to shop there again.

It''s too bad it all happened this way. It is confusing, even now, to understand what really did happen.

Best to just let it go and forget it - and avoid Ms. Rosalie!

Interesting comments Nicrez about how the Tiff employees see their store. I have noticed some Tiff sales people stay for years and years - I guess this is why.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s always my dear Whiteflash plus Harry Winston and Cartier.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 12:02:35 PM
Oprah was peeved at Hermes because they wouldn''t let her shop after hours, a situation which is entirely distinguishable from mine.

Obviously different situations & I wasn''t comparing them. I was extrapolating from Nicerez''s point that perhaps ONE store''s "snooty internal manefesto & resulting lack of common courtesy" might actually be a PERVASIVE problem that even affects CELEBRITIES. But back to you.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No offence meant, fellow dog-lover.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think that if you have an issue with sales, there is no point is fussing about something if you don''t want an action or resolution. You might want to point out to the manager of said snooty person and say, "Listen, I know TCO is a wonderful company and all but in all honesty, it is a well known fact with consumers that TCO is very rude and sales people lack a certain tact. This situation is an excellent example, so why don''t you consider a training in tract for these sales people. There are statement customers from all walks of life, SPECIFICALLY in New York. You can''t descriminate ANYONE, never knowing who is who and who KNOWS who. You treat ever customers as if they are statement because you are NOT selling the best product alone. You are selling the history and the luxury and the entire feeling of Tiffany & Company. You do your history and luxury name a disservice with rude and snobbish sales people."

Because nothing happened per se, I would leave it at that. Let her get a bit annoyed, but know she was rude and feel the slap of righteousness.

Often times at Christie''s many people walk in looking bedraggled. They could be the mother, wife, sister of a wealthy client or even be a quite serious buyer, and you won''t know. I actually saw a famous women''s clothing designer looking very non-descript and bedraggled ON PURPOSE. She was browsing and didn''t want to be seen. You treat everyone like they will spend a million and you never know who will!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one wants to be treated poorly or have anyone, a clerk or otherwise, be rude to them. But we need not go overboard either. Personally, I would not let anyone deter me from shopping where and when I wish, that is ultimately the best "revenge". If they work on a percentage of their sales, she will have done herself the most harm. (not sure if managers do at Tiffany''s or not). Holding my head high, after making a simple point that I found her behavior to be obnoxious, would make me feel better...who wants to get into a she said she said scenario? (even though in retail the customer is always right and there should be no discussion...) I would know what REALLY happened, as does she, and I would go in there and bypass her quite clearly. It is like saying, I can take the high road here, you and your inappropriate behavior do not affect me.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 10:08:51 PM
Cehra, I would not hand it over in the middle of a crowded store to a SA I did not know. I take my ring off at my Tiffany''s for cleaning etc, but I either go back to customer service or hand it to my salesguy, the one person that I deal with exclusively in the store. I would not just take it off and hand it to someone at a crowded counter.
I thought in the OP she handed it to the guy she got her engagement ring from (the first one) and HE handed it to another employee and then she handed it to a client? I don''t think the OP did anything wrong here... I don''t even think she had a lapse in judgment.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Since we''re bashing a snotty salesperson at TIffany''s, I''ll throw my story into the mix. I had some friends visiting who had never been to NY before, so of course I took them to Tiffany''s. At the time, none of us were engaged, but I already had my eye set on getting an asscher someday. I think that the Legacy rings were new, and when I saw them, I pointed them out to my girlfirends and said, "ooh, I think that''s an asscher, just like the one that I want!" The saleslady came over to me and said in a snotty voice, "Actually, those are cushions, we don''t carry asschers here." (If you guys have seen the legacy cushion, it sort of looks like a hybrid between a cushion and an asscher). I had wanted to try it on, but I was so turned off by her dismissive attitude, that I didn''t. The following year when I got engaged, my fiance wanted to take me to Tiffany''s to pick out a ring, but I decided to go to a local diamond dealer instead that has an excellent reputation (and that carries asschers ;-) Not only did they spend hours showing us diamonds, they also got my fiance''s business - not a small chunk of change for my 2.2 carat ring! We will continue to go to the dealer that sold us my beautiful ring, and Tiffany can keep their attitude ;-)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 1:03:34 PM
No one wants to be treated poorly or have anyone, a clerk or otherwise, be rude to them. But we need not go overboard either. Personally, I would not let anyone deter me from shopping where and when I wish, that is ultimately the best ''revenge''. If they work on a percentage of their sales, she will have done herself the most harm. (not sure if managers do at Tiffany''s or not). Holding my head high, after making a simple point that I found her behavior to be obnoxious, would make me feel better...who wants to get into a she said she said scenario? (even though in retail the customer is always right and there should be no discussion...) I would know what REALLY happened, as does she, and I would go in there and bypass her quite clearly. It is like saying, I can take the high road here, you and your inappropriate behavior do not affect me.

I think thats a good idea diamondfan. Sorry to hear about what happened Harriet. For me personally, I would probably just let it go at this point. She''s lost out on any sale that she may have got from you, and I am heading to NY in July to purchase a lucida and I will be sure to avoid her too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results