shape
carat
color
clarity

At what size does a 3-stone lose it's lovely aesthetic?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ask this because I have been toying with the idea of resetting to a 3-stone (thanks a lot, @mrs-b... LOL ;-) ) OR having Caysie or DK make a custom wrap... but I feel like my center's size, combined with my smaller finger size wouldn't give the same aesthetic as I love in a 3-stone - that it would just be big.

I have a travel (i.e. fake) ring that looks absolutely stunning on my hand, but is much smaller with an approximate 2-2.25 ct center. I have even photoshopped a three stone onto my finger, but didn't love it... why??

Is there a point that the combo of center/finger size takes away the beauty of this style?? Am I being a crazy person??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need to see pictures of your travel ring and your photo shop to make an informed decision :cool2:

WHat proportions are you thinking about? And remind me how large your center stone is?

In the 10 years I spent pining for a three stone, I started about 15 million threads on this topic :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to see pictures of your travel ring and your photo shop to make an informed decision :cool2:

WHat proportions are you thinking about? And remind me how large your center stone is?

In the 10 years I spent pining for a three stone, I started about 15 million threads on this topic :lol:

Ya know... I was just looking through my phone for the photoshopped one AND CAN'T FIND IT! But I guess I can do it again... UGH!! I'm at work, so I can't get a pic of my travel ring right now...

My center is a 3.33 ct (9.8 mm) and finger size is a 4.75.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would actually like to have larger sides, but it seemed impossible unless they were a lot more tilted... and I really couldn't do that via photoshop. Now, if anyone is more skilled and wants to give it a go, then I would be good with it! ;-)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you can totally do a three stone and it would be freaking amazing.

What mm are the photoshopped sides?

I actually think you need smaller sides than in the photo shop and they need to be tucked more -- I think the angle and tuck is what you don't like about your photo shop. I'm going to @yssie because that queen loves a three stone and remember she was trying to desperately to make it work with her 4ct honker and her, like, size 2 finger :lol: But she couldn't! But you can!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK I tried a little photo shop but I suck lol

Here is the same size as your original image but tried to tilt/tuck the sides
msop1.jpg

Here is with smaller tilted/tucked sides (which I like better!)

msop2.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can totally do a three stone and it would be freaking amazing.

What mm are the photoshopped sides?

I actually think you need smaller sides than in the photo shop and they need to be tucked more -- I think the angle and tuck is what you don't like about your photo shop. I'm going to @yssie because that queen loves a three stone and remember she was trying to desperately to make it work with her 4ct honker and her, like, size 2 finger :lol: But she couldn't! But you can!

I know I could do a three stone, but my issue is that making the side stones pretty small kinda negates my idea of what makes a 3 stone lovely... (not that I don't like the ones with small sides - I do - but not for this [potential] project). I just can't decide how I feel about how it looks on my hand..

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I tried a little photo shop but I suck lol

Here is the same size as your original image but tried to tilt/tuck the sides
msop1.jpg

Here is with smaller tilted/tucked sides (which I like better!)

msop2.jpg

Actually, you did a GREAT job with it! Can you make them a little larger and tuck them?? #challenge

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what? I just read back through Yssie's thread where she was trying to make a three stone and she could not make it work with a 4ct center and .16ct sides on her size 4.5 so you may be in a pickle is you want bigger side stones...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @msop04! :wavey:

Here's my thinking on this....

With a 3 stone, I feel that if you don't see a little band either side of the outer stones, you lose the full taper from top/bottom center of the middle stone, all the way out to the thinness of the shank. I like seeing that full taper - including the drop from outer stones to band. I think if you don't see a little band, it makes it look out of proportion to virtually any wedder. But this is personal preference and all taste is subjective, so....

Given all of that, I decided a 4ct center - which I considered - was too big for me, and my fingers are about 6.75 - ergo way bigger than yours. It just gets too far off the finger, y'know?, and to my mind that's one of the things that makes it look too big.

I do agree with you, tho - with your photoshopped version, the sides need to be a smidge bigger and more tilted. I've had 3 stones of ALL proportions, and for the ring that will be worn as your e-ring, 20% ct of the center stone for each side is the max I'd do - and is exactly what they are on my current ring. However, when I go up to a 3.5ct center, I won't be enlarging the sides, and I think I'll like the ratios even more. At that point, the sides will be a smidge under 18% of the center stone each (ie 3.5ct center, .625 each sides).

And - to put my cards on the table - I dislike wraps. That don't sit perfectly, you often get a gap between wrap and solitaire as you move your hands around, and you end up with one extra random looking band.

But having said aaaaalllll of that....

I still think you should come to the light on the whole 3 stone thing! The way they hug your finger (if they're done propoerly on a hard curve) is....<swoon>.... :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what? I just read back through Yssie's thread where she was trying to make a three stone and she could not make it work with a 4ct center and .16ct sides on her size 4.5 so you may be in a pickle is you want bigger side stones...

I actually thought of yssie's journey... of course, I don't have her lovely fingers. LOL Another option is to trade for a smaller (gasp!!! ::faint::) center stone and go from there. God, I'm sick at the thought. HAHAHAAAA... #reallysobbing

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Putting them all here for easy comparison...

Smaller
msop2.jpg

Medium

msop1.jpg
Bigger

biggies.jpg
Biggest

biggest.jpg

But I am pretty sure these won't fit without seriously overhanging and sacrificing comfort.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @msop04! :wavey:

Here's my thinking on this....

With a 3 stone, I feel that if you don't see a little band either side of the outer stones, you lose the full taper from top/bottom center of the middle stone, all the way out to the thinness of the shank. I like seeing that full taper - including the drop from outer stones to band. I think if you don't see a little band, it makes it look out of proportion to virtually any wedder. But this is personal preference and all taste is subjective, so....

Given all of that, I decided a 4ct center - which I considered - was too big for me, and my fingers are about 6.75 - ergo way bigger than yours. It just gets too far off the finger, y'know?, and to my mind that's one of the things that makes it look too big.

I do agree with you, tho - with your photoshopped version, the sides need to be a smidge bigger and more tilted. I've had 3 stones of ALL proportions, and for the ring that will be worn as your e-ring, 20% ct of the center stone for each side is the max I'd do - and is exactly what they are on my current ring. However, when I go up to a 3.5ct center, I won't be enlarging the sides, and I think I'll like the ratios even more. At that point, the sides will be a smidge under 18% of the center stone each (ie 3.5ct center, .625 each sides).

And - to put my cards on the table - I dislike wraps. That don't sit perfectly, you often get a gap between wrap and solitaire as you move your hands around, and you end up with one extra random looking band.

But having said aaaaalllll of that....

I still think you should come to the light on the whole 3 stone thing! The way they hug your finger (if they're done propoerly on a hard curve) is....<swoon>.... :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

GAWD... you are soooo right on this, @mrs-b! It is the lovely curvature and slight hint of the band on either side that makes me swoon! I do agree with you on the wraps... I just keep that in the back of my mind, because I know I'm fickle and am afraid I would regret it and miss my soli.

I keep thinking of Bliss and her "3-stone" via wrap. Of course her stone is ginormous and her fingers teeny tiny... but I did prefer the solitaire to the wrapped trilogy. It just looked very large. Sorry, Bliss!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bigger
biggies.jpg

Biggest
biggest.jpg

But I am pretty sure these won't fit without seriously overhanging and sacrificing comfort.

I love the last two... but as you mentioned, I'm not sure they'd look right on my finger.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
upload_2019-6-29_9-47-6.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the last two... but as you mentioned, I'm not sure they'd look right on my finger.

I don't even think it's about looking right on your finger, I think it's about the physics or rock to finger ratio! You don't want diamond between the fingies, not comfy.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BIL's sister has a really beautiful three stone... her fingers are tiny, which makes it even prettier. :kiss2: I had to zoom in on these, so not great, but you can tell it’s lovely (as is she). :))

537FC0E2-6415-4248-A05E-BF7E052982FD.jpeg 5BD39BDC-04EA-43EB-A52B-94D457C358C5.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so those pics were crappier than I thought... sorry.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the 62% (or maybe a bit smaller)... dang, I wish I had my fake ring to show ya'll. I feel like there's no way to do those proportions without it looking crazy. :(

Yup, I think the 62% looks more balanced.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this proportion best, but as dreamer mentioned, I don't know how it would fit.
biggies-jpg.699378

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a three stone would be stunning. And yes a little bigger on the side stones would be fun too!

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
My solution: Trade ME for my 2.53 as I have a size 7.25 finger and can accommodate larger side stones:twisted2::lol: (I like the 3rd pic from the left, or 2nd from the right, of the 4 proportion pics lined up). I am already considering a 3 stone, and I just received my ring in April. Great minds....:mrgreen:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My solution: Trade ME for my 2.53 as I have a size 7.25 finger and can accommodate larger side stones:twisted2::lol: (I like the 3rd pic from the left, or 2nd from the right, of the 4 proportion pics lined up). I am already considering a 3 stone, and I just received my ring in April. Great minds....:mrgreen:

That's the one I preferred as well... I wish I could find one at a jewelry store to try on, so I could settle this once and for all!! LOL

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the minority here, but I would keep it as a solitaire. I think your "gasp" thought of sizing it down to do a three stone is probably what would allow you to have that ring which also shows the curvature to the band. I think your finger size makes it difficult to do that with your big beautiful diamond on your small finger. I wish I had that problem!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results