shape
carat
color
clarity

At what point would you decide that a piece of jewelry was too expensive to wear out and about?

How expensive does a piece of jewelry need to be for you to think it is too expensive to wear?

• $1000 and over

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5000 and over

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • $10,000 and over

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • $15,000 and over

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • $20,000 and over

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • $25,000 and over

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • $30,000 and over

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • $35,000 and over

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • $40,000 and over

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • $45,000 and over

• $50,000 and over

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • $60,000 and over

• $70,000 and over

• $80,000 and over

• $90,000 and over

• $100,000 and over

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I am happy to wear any value out and about. It doesn’t worry me.

Votes: 37 39.8%

• Total voters

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Hello fellow jewelry lovers,

Given my habit of admiring gorgeous pieces of jewelry both inexpensive and insanely expensive, it has often crossed my mind that even if I owned one of these pieces valued in the millions, I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing it. I live in a pretty safe place, but regardless, I think that a very expensive piece of jewelry turns you into a walking target or you might spend too much time worrying about losing it rather than enjoying it. It’s like over a certain price point, the piece of jewelry becomes a burden rather than a joy.

What are your thoughts on this topic fellow Pricescopers? At what price point do you draw the line?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for any amount, providing I am in control of my own transport as in I would drive to a venue and back, without lingering for too long in unfamiliar surroundings.

DK :))

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
The average person on the street would not know the price tag. I wouldn't flaunt it & I wouldn't go somewhere dodgy,but then I wouldn't go to those places anyway even if I was not wearing any jewellery. I voted any amount

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At no price point. If I can afford it and I love it I’m going to enjoy wearing it. I might not take it in the subway (though I doubt I’m ever riding the subway again) and I’ll be smart about where I wear it but heck yeah. I’m gonna wear and enjoy it. ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if you’re reading Anup yes please.:pray: May I? Thank you. Very much. ❤️❤️❤️
:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d also wear these babies. In a heart beat.
Yoohoo Grace :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me there is a limit as to the amount I would feel comfortable wearing. Not because of theft but because of my own self-imposed sensibilities.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me there is a limit as to the amount I would feel comfortable wearing. Not because of theft but because of my own self-imposed sensibilities.

Whaaaaat? Noooooo. What is this self imposed sensibility you speak of?o_O

:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my annoying practical side needs a swift kick in the arse! :lol:

Happy to oblige! :lol:

Anything for a dear friend❤
EAB70936-0BC8-489F-ACDA-D9C830224D8B.jpeg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hypotheticals are hard for me. I don't have anything worth THAT much. I would happily rock a humongous EC or Asscher or OEC IF I had one, which I don't. Most people think large stones are fake, and I don't go to any sketchy places, haha.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

@Slick1 - yes self imposed sensibilities figures in my calculations as well. I seem to limit myself partly because I don’t like drawing too much attention to myself, partly because I would not want to be injured in a mugging, partly because I think it would be a waste to lose a $40,000 ring....but yet I would feel comfortable wearing three rings, a watch and a pair of earrings that added together are worth more than $40,000. It’s not 100% logical, which I guess is why I was interested to read the opinions of others on this forum.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see the point of owning nice things and not wearing them. I don’t go to places where I fear my personal safety is at risk, so I wear my bling everywhere, including (when we could go) on holiday. It’s all insured, so if it were lost or stolen, it’s covered.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s what insurance is for. I would wear anything out.

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My experience is that in Canada, people have no idea what anything is worth.

And anyone who knows, isn't a threat.

My wife and I were watching a show where one character holds up the wrist of a murder victim saying 'he still has his $10k watch' I started laughing and said 'that's a $50k watch, but normal people wouldn't believe it!'

Same reason why the Mercedes AMG Wagon is the ultimate vehicle, $200k+ and nobody has any idea of how much it costs.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I have a modest budget, but if I can afford to buy it then I'll definitely be wearing it out otherwise what's the point if you can't enjoy your shinies

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I said $15,000 because I had one piece that cost nearly that much and I misplaced it. (I didn’t insure it because the rates were so high that in ten years, the cost of the insurance would equal the cost of the piece itself). While that amount might be considered small potatoes on a jewelry forum, I felt so sick over it that I wished I’d never bought the damn thing in the first place.

I did find the piece but I did not forget how horrible I felt when it was missing. (And besides the monetary loss, there’s the ugliness of wondering if someone you trusted stole from you). So I doubt I’d want anything that cost even more than that. Small, valuable items like jewelry are the easiest to lose or have stolen.

I don’t think there is any totally safe place when you go out in public, either. (And as a side note, you can just as easily become a target with fake jewelry that looks real too).

Anyway, the least worry would be whatever I’d leave in an unlocked, unhidden jewelry box, which for me would be pieces that only cost a couple hundred dollars. I don’t want to give anything up but I do at least keep it in mind with new purchases now and give more consideration to pieces that are less costly but still pretty.

Last edited:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I said $15,000 because I had one piece that cost nearly that much and I misplaced it. (I didn’t insure it because the rates were so high that in ten years, the cost of the insurance would equal the cost of the piece itself). While that amount might be considered small potatoes on a jewelry forum, I felt so sick over it that I wished I’d never bought the damn thing in the first place.

I did find the piece but I did not forget how horrible I felt when it was missing. (And besides the monetary loss, there’s the ugliness of wondering if someone you trusted stole from you). So I doubt I’d want anything that cost even more than that. Small, valuable items like jewelry are the easiest to lose or have stolen.

I don’t think there is any totally safe place when you go out in public, either. (And as a side note, you can just as easily become a target with fake jewelry that looks real too).

Anyway, the least worry would be whatever I’d leave in an unlocked, unhidden jewelry box, which for me would be pieces that only cost a couple hundred dollars. I don’t want to give anything up but I do at least keep it in mind with new purchases now and give more consideration to pieces that are less costly but still pretty.

I have had a similar experience and I think that is also a factor for me. I have ‘misplaced’ two rings (in my own home) on two separate occasions. It’s such an awful feeling to look at your hand and realise that the ring you put on in the morning isn’t there and then to do the mental backtrack to figure out where you put it. Now if I didn’t have playful cats who like to bat small things under the dishwasher and fridge (and into other small spots) or a small mischievous child, I probably wouldn’t have had such a strong emotional reaction, but small things can disappear in my house, only to be found under a piece of furniture months later.

I found my rings relatively quickly on both occasions because I took them of to cook/deal with dirty dishes, but it’s hard to forget the feeling.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
At no price point. If I can afford it and I love it I’m going to enjoy wearing it. I might not take it in the subway (though I doubt I’m ever riding the subway again) and I’ll be smart about where I wear it but heck yeah. I’m gonna wear and enjoy it. ❤

Bruce Springsteen still ride's the subway Missy ;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta show my ignorance here
is mugging the issue for most peeps ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bruce Springsteen still ride's the subway Missy ;)2

Hmmm well perhaps the subway in California is cleaner and safer. :kiss:
I haven’t felt safe on the NYC subways since DeBlasio wrecked the entire system. :/

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven’t felt safe on the NYC subways since DeBlasio wrecked the entire system. :/

Missy :mrgreen2:
What is Bruce doing in California? :lol:

No serously is your subway a bit grubby ?
We had trains so old in Wellington for so long but got these new Korean air conditioned things a few years back
i only ever took commuter services, i never went on the train alone at night but in Wellington the trains are still staffed by ticket collectors and they have cctv in the train and on all the stations
Our station was the only one of the line that was a bit isolated. We lived right on the boundary between Porirua and Wellington and one side was light industrial and the other residential but the track was in a cutting down by the stream without a carpark - i didn't really like getting off there alone in the dark (it had lights) there was an ally rather than street acess but also not many people got on or off at my station
Anyway i was always leaving stuff on the train - keys, phone, wallet, a bag of groceries - always got them back
But i would be worried about rings getting left behind - and yet on the odd day i went into town on a worker's train id see the office workers all sitting three in their finary

We lived up there one street back - becsuse it was so isolated it was always a target for vandels
The otherside had an equally spooky ally but at least was shorter and went out onto a main road and and the main driveway up through lots of spooky trees up to the local hospital

Attachments

• keneperu-tile.jpg
    keneperu-tile.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 24
  • N20081222_n20050422_224355-www.y23.com_pics-2008-wgtn2.jpg
    N20081222_n20050422_224355-www.y23.com_pics-2008-wgtn2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 21

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock

Tell me about it, I sometimes have to travel from Brooklyn to Manhattan and even though their aren't a lot of people in the trains (like 10 max in a cart) it's kind of scary.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me about it, I sometimes have to travel from Brooklyn to Manhattan and even though their aren't a lot of people in the trains (like 10 max in a cart) it's kind of scary.

Yeah. TBH I was feeling nervous taking the subway for a year plus before Covid. It’s sad. I used to feel super safe on the trains when Giuliani and Bloomberg were in charge. It’s amazing how one man can change the entire city in such a short time. I’ll refrain from saying more since we can’t discuss politics. Suffice to say I hope 2021 brings good change in many different areas. Including the end of the pandemic and a fresh new start for our country. And city.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy :mrgreen2:
What is Bruce doing in California? :lol:

No serously is your subway a bit grubby ?
We had trains so old in Wellington for so long but got these new Korean air conditioned things a few years back
i only ever took commuter services, i never went on the train alone at night but in Wellington the trains are still staffed by ticket collectors and they have cctv in the train and on all the stations
Our station was the only one of the line that was a bit isolated. We lived right on the boundary between Porirua and Wellington and one side was light industrial and the other residential but the track was in a cutting down by the stream without a carpark - i didn't really like getting off there alone in the dark (it had lights) there was an ally rather than street acess but also not many people got on or off at my station
Anyway i was always leaving stuff on the train - keys, phone, wallet, a bag of groceries - always got them back
But i would be worried about rings getting left behind - and yet on the odd day i went into town on a worker's train id see the office workers all sitting three in their finary

We lived up there one street back - becsuse it was so isolated it was always a target for vandels
The otherside had an equally spooky ally but at least was shorter and went out onto a main road and and the main driveway up through lots of spooky trees up to the local hospital

It’s more of a safety issue imo. Our subways are less safe than they were just a few years ago. Due to our mayor cutting funding that is necessary to keep them safe. And in true hypocrite form he never rides them but for a photo op. And then he has his men clear out the trains so he can travel comfortably. Most of the time he takes a huge fancy car with a driver that he takes everywhere. He drives to Brooklyn to use the gym at taxpayer expense instead of using the local gym near him in Manhattan. So much more than this but just a small glimpse into what’s going on. ‍

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for me it’s not so much the value but the size that would determine if I wore a certain piece of jewelry.
For example I wouldn’t be comfortable wearing a diamond over 4 carats in size. I’m pretty sure I would never wear it because I would just be embarrassed. It could be a gift, inherited, a diamond I mined, etc., but I just wouldn’t feel right wearing it and I know I would either turn it around, hide it in my sleeves or just never put it on.
I would gladly wear a 2.5 carat D FL though. Which I’m sure would cost a pretty penny! Hand that baby over!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s more of a safety issue imo. Our subways are less safe than they were just a few years ago. Due to our mayor cutting funding that is necessary to keep them safe. And in true hypocrite form he never rides them but for a photo op. And then he has his men clear out the trains so he can travel comfortably. Most of the time he takes a huge fancy car with a driver that he takes everywhere. He drives to Brooklyn to use the gym at taxpayer expense instead of using the local gym near him in Manhattan. So much more than this but just a small glimpse into what’s going on. ‍

:(2
We had a green mayor once
she caused a huge stink when the bike spaces weee already full on the train
when she took public transport the offical car and chuffee always followed here any way
Yeaterday it snowed real heavy (for us) down south and the PM had to drive to Dunedin because the airport was closed

These people forget quickly what its like to be the every man/ working man/ joe public

The people that run are commuter trains are now some French outfiot who are in Melbourne- they want to do away with the clickies - ticket collectors which would be to the detriment of not just public safety but also as a public service to out of town visitors, as i commuted aganist the flow i got to know alot of these people
Almost all of them wonderful people people who just loved their job often performed under alot of pressure
The Wellington commuter network is very beautuful - my line was through the tawa valley then up the coast, of peak services should be marketed to tourists,
the sunsets i saw over the years were postcard worthy

I do hope your trains are being cleaned really well right now

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If im going to take this question serously id say i need a $100 option
i have lost a few too many nice bracletes over the years,

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gotta show my ignorance here
is mugging the issue for most peeps ?

Not just mugging. Not far from where we live, a family was murdered in a horrific home invasion as a consequence of the wife's being followed home from the grocery store because she looked like she was wealthy. One of the the 2 killers noticed her car, specifically, but it could just as easily have been jewelry. I have often shopped at that same grocery store. But it could happen anywhere. Conspicuous consumption carries risks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results