shape
carat
color
clarity

At what carat weight...

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
It depends on the shape of the diamond, the finger size (including length) and the way it is set. Usually around 2.5 carats looks pretty large to me. I mentioned finger length because I have long fingers, and I think that because of this diamonds look smaller on me that on a friend who has the same finger size (5.25) and a much shorter fingers. Or maybe that is just because I think they look smaller on me! :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 1.5 + on other people. Probably smaller on myself.

Tmissy

Rough_Rock
2 ct+ makes my eyes open saucer wide. A relative of mine has a 3.5 ct round stone. I do not much like it in a round shape. I think larger fancy shapes look better in 2 ct+ weights.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
For my hand size [6] 3ct in rounds, 4-4.5ct in fancy cuts.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
1.0+

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On PS, 2 cts. or above.

In real life, I don't see many diamonds over a carat most of the time. I was never self-conscious about my 1 ct. diamond, but I am at times about my 1.6 ct. diamond.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For myself, probably about 3.5 carats. My ring no longer looks big to me. I wouldn't go bigger for myself, but when I see a ring it is
a really big one that makes me go WOW!

nararabbit

Shiny_Rock
We are in the palm springs area, before that santa monica, ca. Around here, lots of old biddies are rocking their dead husbands' money in the form of 5-10 ct diamonds (often yellow, cloudy, or poorly cut, heh), or swathes of diamonds on their necks and ears just for a run to the grocery. So 2-3 carats to me seems 'normal.' And Santa Monica, the same... I don't think I knew a single person who got engaged there with less than 1.5 carats. LOL!

Back home, my 1.5 got a lot of comments. Out here, it's only occasional. :)

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
For myself, any stone that looks like the size of a 1 carat looks big and anything after 1.5 carats looks huge!

We may have a lot of diamond mines way up here in Norther Ontario but the vast majority of us Northern girls aren`t sporting the big Canadian rocks that come out of them! :devil:

Cachette :))

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I don't count what I see on Pricescope because it all looks so huge on the computer screen.

I normally see diamonds ranging from .30-.75 so 1 carat looks huge to me, especially if the ring is pretty. In a nice way.

And I go to NYC a good deal; also I go to Palm Beach from time to time (relations in both areas). Idon't see huge diamonds in either place. There are one or two, and there are one or two I see at home, but it's not the usual thing to see.

I myself own earrings that are about 1 carat apiece and also a ring with a 1.19 marquise. But I don't see the earrings in my own ears and I have big hair so I don't think anyone else does all that much either. And I don't wear the marquise hardly at all. I always wear my .38 original engagement ring and I guess that makes everything else look huge in comparison. But I don't so much care if a diamond is large or not. Just if its pretty and seems to suit the wearer.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
On others? 2+. On me, 1 + (and I'm starting to understand DSS for the first time! The horror. It only took 2.5 months post engagement...)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe people think of a diamond as "big" when it is 50% larger than what they wear.

If you wear a 0.5 ct., then a 0.75 ct seems big.

If you wear a 1 ct., then a a 1.5 ct seems big.

If you wear a 1.5 ct., then a 2.25 ct seems big.

If you wear a 2 ct., then a 3 ct seems big.

If you wear a 2.5 ct., then a 3.75 ct seems big.

If you wear a 10 ct., then a 15 ct seems big.

If you wear a 100 ct;, then a 150 ct seems big.

If you wear a 200 ct., then a 300 ct seems big.

Queen Elizabeth is always telling me, "To me a 3-pound royal scepter diamond seems big."

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I think 2+ is big.

Outside PS, I do tend to wonder "is it real?" when I get a glimpse of a big rock. Tacky, I'm sure...but that's just what comes to mind.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
IRL, I get to see a lot of eye candy on other women's hands when they come shopping for antiques. I see some whoppers every few weeks I'd say. Usually I'll be sneakily eyeballing it if it's, say, 1.75 or over. Smaller if the stone is gorgeous (much smaller- sparkle catches my eye every time!) But to think WOW THAT'S HUGE, I'd say a bit under 2 cts does it.

I saw somebody with a HUGE round brilliant the other day, must've been well over 4 (it's hard for me to judge size much over that). And a huge pendant. And a huge pair of studs. All round, all sparkly. If she'd been even slightly more approachable while I was ringing her up I would've shamelessly asked to see it closer, but she was giving me the "you're just the help" treatment so I didn't. :(sad Shame. It was an amazing set of jewels and I'm pretty sure they were the real deal. Her mom was also dripping diamonds.

There's also a really sweet, very much older woman who I see regularly- probably in her 80s- and she comes in wearing sweat pants, kitty t-shirts, and all her awesome jewelry. And it's all fabulous- a 3+ ct center stone round three stone ring, a huge eternity band with it, and pendant and earrings and a bunch of bangles. I love her! (I hope i'll be doing that when I'm 80 :bigsmile:- rocking all my jewelry in my shlubby comfy clothes.)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChloeTheGreat|1314225485|2998526 said:
I think 2+ is big.

Outside PS, I do tend to wonder "is it real?" when I get a glimpse of a big rock. Tacky, I'm sure...but that's just what comes to mind.

I suspect a lot of people think mine is fake when they see it. Not big by PS standards, but big enough IRL to make people wonder I bet. No one has asked me though.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314228075|2998564 said:
I think 2+ is big.

I suspect a lot of people think mine is fake when they see it. Not big by PS standards, but big enough IRL to make people wonder I bet. No one has asked me though.

I am newly engaged and enjoy showing off my haloed 1.25. My sister said "it's so sparkly, it looks fake"...I think it was supposed to be a compliment? :???:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think 1.5 ct is 'big'. I agree with Kenny, it depends on what you have...I have a 1.1 ct.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think stones look big when they hit around 8 mm. I wear a 2.3 ct stone, and it looks ginormous to me. It measures 8.10 x 7.92, so that's why I say 8 mm.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
With a round, pear, heart, oval or marquise I'd say 3.00 carats. Step cuts I think 4.50-5.00 looks big.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Bigger than mine. LOL. 2+ carats.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1314225227|2998522 said:
Maybe people think of a diamond as "big" when it is 50% larger than what they wear.

Queen Elizabeth is always telling me, "To me a 3-pound royal scepter diamond seems big."

This formula seems eminently plausible to me ....

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
ChloeTheGreat|1314228527|2998572 said:
Dreamer_D|1314228075|2998564 said:
I think 2+ is big.

I am newly engaged and enjoy showing off my haloed 1.25. My sister said "it's so sparkly, it looks fake"...I think it was supposed to be a compliment? :???:

Remind me of the time when I was talking to my coworker. She told me her friend just got engaged with a half carat ring from Costco. She continued to say that it was a great size, and anything bigger just looks fake. I didn't say anything, but was thinking "WTF" because my center stone is 1.25ct. But to her defense, she doesn't know how my ring looks like since I don't wear it to work. I just chalked it up to her being young.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1314225227|2998522 said:

I think there may be merit in this....but I'm a bit on the smallish size I have a 0.3 center and 1+ is "big". For me, the largest would be like 1.5 (not that it'll happen), and I have larger hands.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes when Liz drops by for tea she gossips about those other tacky crown monarchies who upgraded to 3-pound D Flawless scepter diamonds.
She says, "You know, Kenny, they just think of them as status symbols, they DO. But me, I think a nice delicate 2-pound scepter diamond is just perfect for my understated persona. I hate putting on airs since we're all equal now. "

Of course I think to myself, well you know dear monarchs vary too, but I bite my tongue.
I really don't argue with the old gal anymore.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I would say anything 3+ carats or 9+ mm in diameter is big.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
platinumrock|1314239813|2998826 said:

that's huge!! :D

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1314241281|2998858 said:
platinumrock|1314239813|2998826 said:

that's huge!! :D

I know! But then your eyes get used to it and they start shrinking. :knockout:

Kenny is right, size is relative. Things look huge until they're compared to something larger. :Up_to_something:

It also doesn't help if you have large fingers. lol

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pre-PS I would've said 1 carat looked "big." Post PS ,and after having had a 1.5 RB and now a 1.3 oval...my eyes think 2+ carats is "big." My 1.3 oval looks very modest (not small, just conservative) to me. I have several friends who have over 2 carat center stones and my eyes are always drawn to those. Funny, though, anything larger I've seen I have always found it more of a curiosity than an attractive bauble. Not in a bad or judgmental way, I think my eyes just aren't used to seeing stones larger than 2 carats on a daily basis. No diamond or colored stone is too large for this girl's hand!
:bigsmile:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2+ ct! Also depends on the proportions of the finger to the diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results