shape
carat
color
clarity

At what age should a kid get a cellphone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:59:32 PM
Author: asscherisme
I bought my son one last summer for elementary school graduation. BUT that being said, its just as much for me so I can feel more secure with allowing him more freedom as he is getting older. For example, right now he is not home, he is at our local library. His favorite place to ride after school on his bike. He knows the rule is he has to call me when he gets there and call me when he leaves. I have him take his cell with him when he goes to a firends house or out to ride his bike. Also to school even though there is a no ''ON '' rule at school and it must stay in his locker at school but he does take the bus and it makes me feel safer about him on the bus. The Jr. high bus these days is VERY different that when I took the bus.

I don''t allow him to text though and told him if I see he texts he will pay me for it. But that will change in the future I know. I also told him he is only allowed to call friends or family. He is really responsible with it and it makes me feel safer knowing he has it.

Also, during his activites that he does, after school, weekends, etc its nice that he has it. For example, if he wants to stay a littlle later, or go home with a friend or even if I get stuck in traffic and am a little late picking him up. Its nice to be able to stay connected with him.

I have found the more independence he craves, the more secure it makes me feel knowing he can reach me.

edited to add, my son does not have a fancy phone, just a basic phone that can take photos.

It amazes me that some jr. high kids have iphones and blackberries. I don''t even have one!
I feel the same way you do...it''s nice to be able to stay in touch. When I was a kid your son''s age, I would roll out on my bike in the morning and not come home until dark and my mom had NO IDEA where I was or what I was doing. Times have changed...

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 3:37:08 PM
Author: Haven
I just don''t see the need for a kid to have a cell phone.

And as a high school teacher, I can say that I wish none of my students had cell phones. They are huge distractions, and it''s scary to see how little students communicate in person nowadays. Instead of a conversation: ''Hi! Wanna come to the movies with us tonight?'' it''s a text: Ima go 2 da moveez 2nite u in?
I agree; the texting thing is nuts with teenagers. My 14 year old niece talks to me in text terminology. The downfall of the English language....
7.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I got my first cell phone when I was 16. I really didn''t get my social streak until about that time. Usually I was at friend''s houses, and back then people had land lines. Almost everyone I know has disconnected their land lines now.

I think it depends on the child, and what their need for a cell phone is. I personally don''t think an 11 year old has any use for one. 14 MAYBE. If they are involved in a lot of extracurricular activities or if they like to hang at the mall with friends then I can see getting one. But if they don''t drive, then you usually know where they are. Hopefully.
3.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
There''s an irony in me voicing my displeasure the other day over my 10 year old stepson having a cell phone (his mother''s BRILLIANT idea)...when we picked him up this past weekend, he was complaining about how his cell wasn''t working so well. I asked him what was wrong with it, and he goes, "Oh, I''m not really sure. The display''s looked kinda weird ever since I found my phone in the washing machine." R.I.P. Cell Phone Number...3...4?
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results