shape
carat
color
clarity

At what age did your toddler switch from crib to a bed?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies,

About how old was your toddler when you switched him/her from the crib to a big boy/girl bed? How did you know it was time?

I have NO idea when toddlers generally are done with a crib, so I'm curious. When my second baby is born, DS will be almost 2 and so I'm wondering if he'll be ready for a bed or if I'll have to buy a second crib.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sophia switched from a crib to a "bed" (convertible crib) at 19 months when she jumped out of the crib.

She is tall and the height limit was 35". She was able to jump out when she hit 35".

I will say that even though converting the crib wasn't too big of a deal and we haven't had issues since, I would have kept her in a crib if she had not jumped out. The only way I would have converted was if I wanted to use the crib for another LO, was doing night potty training or if she was huge for the crib and therefore uncomfortable.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My oldest son was about 2 1/2 because he was jumping out of the bed, my youngest was around 3 to 3 1/2 (cant remember) he wasnt a jumper lol

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my sister and I are 15 months apart and my parents moved me to a full sized bed so they didn't have to buy another crib, and it doesn't seem to have scarred me too badly. :lol:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We converted her crib when she was 3.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I think it very much depends on the child. We changed Neve's cotbed into a bed when she turned two and it was a disaster - it hadn't occurred to us get her used to a duvet in her cotbed first (she was still in a grobag at that point) and the fact that she wasn't very good at keeping it on her, it was winter and cold at night, and that she LOVED her new found freedom meant a few months of very disturbed nights and early mornings for us. We put her back in her grobag and she used to waddle around in it like Maggie from the Simpsons, we then put a stairgate on her bedroom door, bedguards on the bed and got her a clock that turned from night to day when she was allowed to get up - it was a bit of a battle to be honest but you would never know it now - she loves bed!

I am not trying to scare you - we have family and friends who have not had any problems at all and some that have had a similar experience to us, I predict that our son will be a little easier on this front than Neve was and obviously we are more experienced now - I think we jumped in too early with Neve, another six months would have been better.

I would definately recommend putting a stairgate on their bedroom door for a while though.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lottie UK|1332586409|3155554 said:
I think it very much depends on the child. We changed Neve's cotbed into a bed when she turned two and it was a disaster - it hadn't occurred to us get her used to a duvet in her cotbed first (she was still in a grobag at that point) and the fact that she wasn't very good at keeping it on her, it was winter and cold at night, and that she LOVED her new found freedom meant a few months of very disturbed nights and early mornings for us. We put her back in her grobag and she used to waddle around in it like Maggie from the Simpsons, we then put a stairgate on her bedroom door, bedguards on the bed and got her a clock that turned from night to day when she was allowed to get up - it was a bit of a battle to be honest but you would never know it now - she loves bed!

I am not trying to scare you - we have family and friends who have not had any problems at all and some that have had a similar experience to us, I predict that our son will be a little easier on this front than Neve was and obviously we are more experienced now - I think we jumped in too early with Neve, another six months would have been better.

I would definately recommend putting a stairgate on their bedroom door for a while though.

Hahaha, that's so cute, I can totally picture it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Sounds like 2 - 3 years is the usual time frame then.

I think I may have to buy a second crib after all. I just can't picture my kid being ready to switch in another 7 or 8 months.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This discussion is all very interesting because I was/am(?) hoping to move 14 month old S out of our bed soon. I was thinking she should transition to a bed of her own very easily, right? Since she prefers beds, right? She moves around like a nut all night, and we just aren't getting good quality rest. :snore: Maybe one of the reasons I've been so sick lately. I don't know! But, we are going to try it soon, and I hope she likes it!! :errrr: We'll probably have to put her bed in our room because I already know there is no way she is going to sleep in her own room. :twirl:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1332616410|3155694 said:
This discussion is all very interesting because I was/am(?) hoping to move 14 month old S out of our bed soon. I was thinking she should transition to a bed of her own very easily, right? Since she prefers beds, right? She moves around like a nut all night, and we just aren't getting good quality rest. :snore: Maybe one of the reasons I've been so sick lately. I don't know! But, we are going to try it soon, and I hope she likes it!! :errrr: We'll probably have to put her bed in our room because I already know there is no way she is going to sleep in her own room. :twirl:

Good luck! D is nearly 3 and feel exhausted at the thought of evicting her from our bed any time soon! She's always slept there so is ultimately going to be interesting...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1332618245|3155702 said:
Loves Vintage|1332616410|3155694 said:

Good luck! D is nearly 3 and feel exhausted at the thought of evicting her from our bed any time soon! She's always slept there so is ultimately going to be interesting...

Haha, I'll let you know how it goes! Somehow, I am not too hopeful, but won't know if we don't try, right?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
We converted my sons crib to a toddler bed at 22 months. And at 34 months we moved him into a full bed with rails. We have a baby on the way so I didn't want to evict him from his crib/toddler bed too close to baby arriving. I didn't want him to feel kicked out. He sleeps pretty good in the full bed. Sometimes he yells for me to come in and I do and it is nice to be able to lay down next to him in the full bed.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it was at 20 - 22 months, when he climed out of it!

Postpone as long as possible. Once they can get out you have a whole other host of sleep issues to confront.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1332606353|3155637 said:

I think I may have to buy a second crib after all. I just can't picture my kid being ready to switch in another 7 or 8 months.

Laila do you have a pack and play or similar? Like a co-sleeper or something for new baby to sleep in the first 3 months or so? Don't buy a second crib until you NEED to. It is possible your son will climb out of his crib before your second baby is ready for a crib anyways, saving you buying a new one.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

If you do go the second crib route, would you consider buying an inexpensive one from IKEA? DS has an IKEA crib and while it's certainly not heirloom quality, it works just fine and was very inexpensive. And, b/c it's short (might not work if you're tall), it's so much easier for me to use. My husband is 6'1", so tall, but not overly tall, and he has no problems with the height.

To answer your question, we switched our daughter at around 2.5. She wasn't climbing out or anything (too short to even try it), but we needed to switch up her overall night routine, plus she was potty trained. We've never had a single issue with her getting out of bed or her room. Our son, on the other hand, is about to turn 2, and we'll keep him in there until college if we can. He's totally going to be the type who's going to make a break for it every chance he gets.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1332790066|3156703 said:
Our son, on the other hand, is about to turn 2, and we'll keep him in there until college if we can. He's totally going to be the type who's going to make a break for it every chance he gets.

LS - This is going to be us too! I hope LO never figures out how to climb out of his crib because I want him in there forever!! As it is, he plays in his crib, walks around the edges, generally rolls around like a crazy baby, before he finally goes to sleep. There is no way he would stay in a bed! I'm not even tempted to move him so the new babies can have his crib. I would have to put his bed in an empty room and he'd probably end up falling asleep on the floor :cheeky:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don't think the conversion thing is too bad. There are new issues that come up because obviously they now walk around but there are things that help. Like a gate at the door, an alarm clock that tells them when it's ok to get out of bed, etc. But overall not too bad.

Now potty training...what a mess ;-)

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
congrats on #2 Laila!! :appl: Thats wonderful!! Wish you all the best!!

I had a similar debate (my kiddos are 16 months apart). We decided to get another crib since both convert to toddler beds and we figure they will use them for a couple years when they outgrow their cribs.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1332738197|3156457 said:

Laila do you have a pack and play or similar? Like a co-sleeper or something for new baby to sleep in the first 3 months or so? Don't buy a second crib until you NEED to. It is possible your son will climb out of his crib before your second baby is ready for a crib anyways, saving you buying a new one.

Hi Dreamer,

We do have a Pack and Play, and a bassinet (Fisher Price Rock and Play), so we'll probably have the new baby sleep in our room for the first 4-5 months. By then, L will be 27 or 28 months. So maybe we will be able to hold off on buying a second crib after all.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you do go the second crib route, would you consider buying an inexpensive one from IKEA? DS has an IKEA crib and while it's certainly not heirloom quality, it works just fine and was very inexpensive. And, b/c it's short (might not work if you're tall), it's so much easier for me to use. My husband is 6'1", so tall, but not overly tall, and he has no problems with the height.

Hehe, that's what we already have LS! We have the IKEA Gulliver crib and we love it! Is that the one you have too? Cheap but the thing is surprisingly durable and really well-made. We will buy another Gulliver if we have to. It really is a great buy.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucy.lucy.80|1332798327|3156805 said:
congrats on #2 Laila!! :appl: Thats wonderful!! Wish you all the best!!

I had a similar debate (my kiddos are 16 months apart). We decided to get another crib since both convert to toddler beds and we figure they will use them for a couple years when they outgrow their cribs.

Thanks, lucy.lucy!!

How are your little girl and boy doing? I bet it's lots of fun having two so close (but also chaotic)!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1332800177|3156837 said:

Hehe, that's what we already have LS! We have the IKEA Gulliver crib and we love it! Is that the one you have too? Cheap but the thing is surprisingly durable and really well-made. We will buy another Gulliver if we have to. It really is a great buy.

Yes! We have the Gulliver in white. We had a dropside crib for DD and I like the IKEA one sooo much better.

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
Hi Laila! everything is going well! my daughter loves helping me take care of her little brother... its very cute! Definetly never a dull moment though! I've found it to be easier the second time around and nursing is much less painful too (thank god!) how are you feeling? Do you have a due date yet? Hope all is well :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results