shape
carat
color
clarity

Asschers on the mind

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer when the cutter gets the sides of all of the windmills to form a straight line from edge to center.

None of those 3 do that.
Not only are the windmill edges not straight, they are wonky (scientific term) and all four windmills are not even uniform in the same stone.

GOG has a cutter capable of doing this flawlessly.
This must be tough because they must have to compensate the edge of the windmill perfectly as the pavilion angles change.

When done right straight windmills enhance the symetry and balance of the asscher design.
When the windmills are wonky it distracts from that hall of mirrors effect IMHO.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 8:46:23 PM
Author: Moh 10
I prefer when the cutter gets the sides of all of the windmills to form a straight line from edge to center.

None of those 3 do that.
Not only are the windmill edges not straight, they are wonky (scientific term) and all four windmills are not even uniform in the same stone.

GOG has a cutter capable of doing this flawlessly.
This must be tough because they must have to compensate the edge of the windmill perfectly as the pavilion angles change.

When done right straight windmills enhance the symetry and balance of the asscher design.
When the windmills are wonky it distracts from that hall of mirrors effect IMHO.

Thanks for the opinion... I also am a huge fan of the straight windmill edges... The one from JA listed above has pretty straight all the way to the edge.. But I think it has too much leakage?

I know none of these stones are ''perfect''... but i do have a budget, and These are pretty much all the stones in my budget.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 8:38:24 PM
Author: plzhelp

So far I think #3 pops out the best to me in the tweezer pics..

Storm, what do you think?
agree, I think it is your best bet.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
ok... I got back the final IS for the following ring:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1216433.asp

I am down to this ring and #3 from above... I think I am slightly leaning towards this one, as it is almost $1000 less and the settings on JA that I like are about $600 less... So it looks like #3 above has a darker red showing in the Ideal Scope (but also has some black)... But is it worth $1600??? or is there TOO much leakage in this one from JA?

Thanks for all opinions!

1216433 - IS.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 2:26:00 PM
Author: plzhelp
ok... I got back the final IS for the following ring:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1216433.asp

I am down to this ring and #3 from above... I think I am slightly leaning towards this one, as it is almost $1000 less and the settings on JA that I like are about $600 less... So it looks like #3 above has a darker red showing in the Ideal Scope (but also has some black)... But is it worth $1600??? or is there TOO much leakage in this one from JA?

Thanks for all opinions!
crown height?
It looks good, the IS looks better than the pic.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
JA''s sarin machine is down... hopefully I''ll have CH by Mon-Tue. If it''s in the ''acceptable'' range, I''ll pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results