shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dboy

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
Well, I have to admit that I never imagined buying a diamond would be such a challenge! She''s set on an Asscher, and I can see why. I decided to go online when I figured out that most local jewelers don''t stock this cut... and because another friend had a good online buying experience for a great price (princess). So after I learned the basics about diamonds, I bought one online... 1.24 E VVS2 Ex/Vg 65.1/63.0... It seemed like a nice stone... the first Asscher I had ever seen in person, but THANKFULLY I found this site a few days later, and spent several hours reading threads about Asschers. I learned that going as high as E or VVS2 is not necessary. I learned that generally a deeper cut with a smaller table is desirable. But most importantly I learned that Asscher cuts vary quite a bit, and that it''s a real crap shoot trying to buy one sight unseen. So I sent that one back, and I have continued my search. I''m frustrated by how few actually have pictures posted online, but I can understand the time/work involved.

Anyway, I decided tonight to enlist your help... or at least support. I''m looking for an eye clean Asscher in the 1.10-1.40 range (nice size and price balance for me), G or better color, Ex polish and symmetry, and a preference for wider corner cuts. After reading threads here for several days, I''ve gotten with Tim at GOG who has been extremely pleasant and helpful. They currently have one stone in house in this range...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1048/

I was disappointed to find that 3 others in this range from the same cutter (supposedly one of the best Asscher cutters) were sold. He''s pullling 2 or 3 others for me, but at least one of them is SI1. So here are my questions...

I''m not in love with the picture of this stone... do you think it''s a good picture (as in, could the stone look better than the pic represents?)?
What are your opinions of the stone itself?
Is there such a thing as an eye clean SI1 Asscher?
Are there other sites with pictures and analysis of their in house stones (so far I''ve checked out GOG, WF, NI, JA, and DBOF)?

I will post other stones that I come across as well... THANKS!
mark
21.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I think it looks wonderful!!! G VVS2 is very nice. I honestly wouldn''t consider an SI1 in an asscher, but I am pickier than most around here on clarity.
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I certainly would consider an SI-1 asscher, particularly one which has passed muster with a reputable vendor like GOG...

widget

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
finding an eyeclean si1 asscher is a major needle in a hay stack and with having to have them called in not worth the hassle.
Id stick with vs2 or above.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the ASET image for that stone from the gem file.
Its a good one but if it doesn''t appeal to you keep looking it could be that you prefer a different style of asscher.

dboyASET.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also you could have the folks at gog take some pictures of it in a stone holder and on someones finger if that would help your decision.

dboy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts and for that ASET picture... it makes me feel better about putting that stone on hold. I''m really in love with this one, but unfortunately I missed buying it by about a week...

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/2608/

I''m not versed enough in the terminology about diamonds to really express why I like this one better than the one I originally posted... it just looks ''sharper.'' I will ask TIm to take another pic for me of the VVS2 that I originally posted... and I wait to see what he pulls for me, and post them here for you helpful input.

mark
21.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats a good one also, asscherman06 bought it.

If that one doesn''t talk to you after seeing more pictures have Tim call some more in if you have time.
Is my advise.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1st one is bigger and the last one you posted has slightly more red in the ASET so might be just a tad brighter.
If they were the same price it would be a pretty fair toss up.
2 choices....
1. Ask Tim or Jon which they prefere in person.
2. buy the cheaper one and let money decide
3. go for size and get the bigger one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results