shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher from JamesAllen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Could I get some people''s opinion on the Asscher posted here at james allen

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=862533

It looks pretty enough but, to me but I am no expert.

I have been reading the forums and see that is has a good table percentage (high 50s low 60s)

Depth looks to be a little shallow but is between 65 and 75

Polish and symmetry both VG

My only issue is that it is an S2 and from what I hear clarity is pretty important when it comes to asschers. I am sure it would jump out at anyone who knows something about diamonds but, where is (are) the inclusion(s)?

All feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
w
30.gif
w

i think that stone looks awesome!
18.gif

great find! who says you can''t get an eye clean ''si'' graded asscher!?

well done.
2.gif

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Some other stones I was considering ( I will list them with letters)

A. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=859418 (the windmills look a little too narrow for my tastes, then again it might look better without the magnification)

B. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=992167 (I dont know if its that the steps are too close but for some reason the image looks....I am not sure...cluttered maybe. i have a hard time visualizing this one without the magnifier.

C. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=859548 (Is the table percentage too low?)

I am basically looking for a ring between .7 and 1 carat. I have got pretty short fingers, size 5.5. I am absolutely in love with the asschers but, being that it is a squarish shape, i do not want to get a very large one because the larger ones tend to make my hands look smaller. I know that asschers can appear smaller because they are usually cut deeper so i could probably go up into the 1.25 area without issue.

Ideally I would want a stone between E - G in color, No lower then VS2 clarity, No lower then Very Good polish and symmetry. Of course, the look is the most important and if the stone that I like falls above or below those specs then I am all for it.

I would like to keep the cost of the stone under 5,000. And I already have a band for it in mind (a solitaire asscher on a platinum trellis band with double claw prongs - If I can find someone to make it)

Again, any feedback would be appreciated.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Ooops, Meant to type magnification not manification.....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 8:50:59 AM
Author: belle
w
30.gif
w

18.gif

well done.
2.gif
who said it was eyeclean? there is a big booger of a feather on the edge of the table thats going to reflect all over the place.
33.gif
33.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 9:02:25 AM
Author: Gwyn
Ooops, Meant to type magnification not manification.....
i''ll have a look at the others gwyn..... i just wanted to let you know that you can always edit your posts to make corrections. just click on the ''edit topic'' button above your own post to make changes, then click ''submit'' once you''re done.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 9:01:25 AM
Some other stones I was considering ( I will list them with letters)

A. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=859418 (the windmills look a little too narrow for my tastes, then again it might look better without the manification)

B. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=992167 (I dont know if its that the steps are too close but for some reason the image looks....I am not sure...cluttered maybe. i have a hard time visualizing this one without the magnifier.

C. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=859548 (Is the table percentage too low?)
1st one your right on the windmills, some like em but they are too small.

2nd is crapola 70% table and miscuts

3rd one is a tad deep at just over 71 but it looks like it is worth looking into.
I didn''t check the price but if its near the lower end of that weight/clarity/color class then the depth would be acceptable to me.
Need better pictures and preferable an aset image.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Ill take that as a "woof" feedback =)

For the first one I meant.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
pricing on that 3rd one is $5470.

I just started my search about a week ago so I dont have the best gage when it comes to price spectrums to know what end that is on. But I will learn =)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 9:14:34 AM
pricing on that 3rd one is $5470.

I just started my search about a week ago so I dont have the best gage when it comes to price spectrums to know what end that is on. But I will learn =)
use pricescope your diamond above and enter a .2 ct weight range around it and that color and clarity and it will give you an idea on price for simular weight stones.
I havent bothered doing so yet.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

A. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=859418 (the windmills look a little too narrow for my tastes, then again it might look better without the magnification)
they are narrow. i tend to like the look of the windmills on the first one you posted better.

this one is not so very pretty either.
boy, that magnifier is irritating! there really should be an option of looking at the stone without it.

yeah, not loving this one either. it looks too dark.

i still think the first one is a very nice pick.
18.gif

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, went and did that after you said check for pricing. Looks like it is somewhere in the middle of the range. they start as low as 4068 and go up to 9000 but the majority seem to be in the high 4K Low 6K range.

I'll have to keep shopping, not that I would not have anyway =)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 9:04:07 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 1/20/2007 8:50:59 AM
w
30.gif
w

18.gif

well done.
2.gif
who said it was eyeclean? there is a big booger of a feather on the edge of the table thats going to reflect all over the place.
33.gif
33.gif
you''re right, jamesallen would have to make the eyeclean judgement since they have the stone.
i think it looks like a great option and absolutely not worth ruling out because of the ''si'' grade.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can move the magnifying glass off of the image!
40.gif

just drag it all the way to the left.
2.gif

here is the photo of the very first asscher that i love
as you can see, the inclusions are very hard to spot. also, keep in mind, that feathers are ''white'' so they are harder to see.

jaasscher.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i put a HUGE black line (''inclusion'') in this one so you can really see how obvious it is on the big picture.
keep in mind, an inclusion this big would never ever, ever be an ''si''. not even from a less strict lab!

asscherinclusionbig.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
here it is smaller

asscherinclusionbigerthan.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
and finally, a little more realistic for a 5mm stone

asscherinclusionaboutright.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can see how even that huge black inclusion is hard to see when you look at in a more normal size. add to that the dynamic sparkle of a moving stone and even that big black line is going to be hard to spot!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i also took pics of each size pic posted above with my hand, so you can see the relevance.

asscherhandsize1.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
and the next size
for reference, my stone is 7mm

asscherhandsize2.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
and this correlates to the last relevent size pic which i think is about right

assherhandsize_3.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ll take a white feather any day.
2.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gwyn. How about this one from James Allen: 0.83 G VVS2, 59 Table, 67.5 Depth $3200 The L/W is 1.04 - not sure if that's a problem for you. Also, it's a 4-step, rather than 3-step. For the additional stones you posted, I noticed that A & C are 4-steps, while B is a 5-step. I saw a weird yellow spot in the magnified image, but I'm assuming it's a reflection or something. I'll let Storm comment - I'm just throwing one out there....

I think JA charges for additional images like Idealscope and ASET images....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 10:58:35 AM
and the next size
I''ll take one this size please.
3.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 11:38:26 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/20/2007 10:58:35 AM
and the next size
I''ll take one this size please.
3.gif
the asscher?

hahahaha.....that''s a leeetle too big for you ellen
27.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol give it up belle no one wants an asscher with a big bugger in it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 11:51:59 AM
the asscher?

hahahaha.....that''s a leeetle too big for you ellen
27.gif
Yes.

This is ONE time when I''m not sure even I could say, too big.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay i didn't even see an inclusion at first and then when belle drew the big black caterpillar in the stone i went back to the first image to look and STILL DON'T SEE IT. hmm how odd??

it'd be interesting to ask james allen, maybe an actual expert could chime in! that would be FAB for the original poster.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 11:31:22 AM
Author: starryeyed
Hi Gwyn. How about this one from James Allen: 0.83 G VVS2, 59 Table, 67.5 Depth $3200 The L/W is 1.04 - not sure if that''s a problem for you. Also, it''s a 4-step, rather than 3-step. For the additional stones you posted, I noticed that A & C are 4-steps, while B is a 5-step. I saw a weird yellow spot in the magnified image, but I''m assuming it''s a reflection or something. I''ll let Storm comment - I''m just throwing one out there....

I think JA charges for additional images like Idealscope and ASET images....

I too see the Yellow dot in the lower corner. I am not sure what that means. I saw one diamond on JA that had a whole step on one side that was yellow...

The thing about this diamond is that the top part of the two left windmmills look rather dark. Is that normal? I have been avoiding pics where one side looks darker then the other.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking on WF's website today, For some reason I cannot find the actual pics of any of the diamonds they show. my search returned a total of 199 diamonds, but I did not see one real pic among them. Is this something that you need to call in for?

According to most of the posts JA, GoG, and WF seem to be ammong the favorites. Also NiceIce and dimendscaasi, so those are the sites I am currently looking at. I live in the Los Angeles area, If anyone knows a somewhat local dealer please let me know. I would consider flying out to Tx, Boston, and NYC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results