shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher engagement ring setting - experiences

Rend

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am keenly waiting for my asscher from the US and seeing a jeweler next week in Sydney to help set it. I was reading PS and came across a really old thread where people whre discussing using satin finish on asscher cuts so they highlight the cut more. Thought I would start a new thread to share asscher settings and touch on others are experiene's to get the best out of their asscher and their setting

Old thread

My setting and thoughts:
1606460568034.png 1606460532928.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a white Asscher stone of any type, however, I have 2 Asscher cut CSs waiting to be set.

I believe the surface finish of a ring, be it with a stone or without, is down to personal preferences.

Shiny white metal suits me best, and the only exceptions would be well-worn and loved Platinum pieces that have developed their own natural patina.

The satinised set as seen in the link in the original post does not do anything for me, sorry!

As mentioned, personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

CindyZ

Rough_Rock
Is there a photo example of satin finish? Does that just mean high polish? Congrats on the Asscher. That's an amazing cut.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Do you mean matte or brushed? I am looking at having a brushed band and collet for my Asscher but shiny prongs for something different. I don't think any metal finish will make an Asscher 'pop' more or less though.

Rend

Rough_Rock
I believe the surface finish of a ring, be it with a stone or without, is down to personal preferences.

The satinised set as seen in the link in the original post does not do anything for me, sorry!
I agree with you, it was interesting to read that and wonder if really made a difference or was just a personal pref. I prefer the look for a "shiny" / brushed finish than satin

Is there a photo example of satin finish? Does that just mean high polish? Congrats on the Asscher. That's an amazing cut.
Something to similar to this colour I imagine
1606609505548.png

Than you :) I just hope it looks big enough in real life

Rend

Rough_Rock
I’m an asscher person and I love the setting you chose! Would you explain what you mean by satin setting? For the band?

Lovely ring :) I do like the split band look

I think that post was talking about the satin finish to make the assche "pop" more just on the band.

Nothing my personal preference tbh

Do you mean matte or brushed? I am looking at having a brushed band and collet for my Asscher but shiny prongs for something different. I don't think any metal finish will make an Asscher 'pop' more or less though.

Yeah I think it meant a more matte / brush look.
That's really interesting to have a brushed look for the band and "shiny" prongs

Do you have a photo concept?

What I had in mind was narrow and pointy prongs in 4 prong setting to maximize "light" and surface area of the Asscher,

Narrower band potentiality 2mm

Getting size of the side trapazoids rights so it complements the centre stone and does not detract from it. I'm leaning towards 15 points on each side as oppose to 20 points each side. Really hard to decide this, natural instinct is to go bigger hhaha

Rend

Rough_Rock
With any luck I'll have the ring on finger by the end of this week or next. My jeweller has my job scheduled for this week :D I'll post pics!
Exciting!! Share pics once you get it :D

Looks like you are an aussie too monipod, where did you get your ring set?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The word your looking for is a brushed finish.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is what a lightly brushed finish looks like up close.
brushedfinish.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heavily brushed finish.
heavy.jpg

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like you are an aussie too monipod, where did you get your ring set?

I am indeed! :D I have a local jeweller (Jackson & Tait - I'm in Perth) who's done a couple of jobs for me. If you're in Sydney, I'd visit Bert. She's done some lovely rings including an Asscher or two I'm fairly sure.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
2B54EA7F-0726-435A-BAC9-42C03F254C7D.jpeg

Sorry the picture isn’t that clear and it’s one that have on hand to show.... but the asscher solitaire has the brushed look. It is a comfort fit. Joey did that for me.

asscher semi bezel eternity is high polished.

Attachments

• C11FF9D7-71D9-48EE-8030-E836FD5EC37A.jpeg
    C11FF9D7-71D9-48EE-8030-E836FD5EC37A.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 18

Rend

Rough_Rock
2B54EA7F-0726-435A-BAC9-42C03F254C7D.jpeg

Sorry the picture isn’t that clear and it’s one that have on hand to show.... but the asscher solitaire has the brushed look. It is a comfort fit. Joey did that for me.

asscher semi bezel eternity is high polished.

I personally really really like the brushed look. It is a very solid band
E1650FA1-7288-4CB5-A675-C1569B7946FC.jpeg
Here is my asscher in a satin finish. I originally had the ring in platinum, but there wasn’t enough contrast and the stone got lost. When we added the finish, I didn’t like how grey to plat looked, so remade it white gold.
I love the finish and your asscher. What size is your asscher

Rend

Rough_Rock
I was talking to couple of Jewelers yesterday and some of were trying to sway me away from Traps on the side saying it makes the fingers look "chubbier" and better suited for an emerald cut given it is longer. Anyone have asscher with traps on the side? My GF is very petite

I've been recommended go instead with something like this as it flow on the finger better and highlight the stone.
1607125477190.png

I am still trying to find a way to have small prongs as possible so asscher does not look like square and you can see octagonal shape

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up my ring yesterday and I'm in love. I think we're after different looks for an Asscher but just to give you an idea, please visit this post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/completed-asscher-3-stone-ring.262097/ (I won't post pics here as the Asscher is a lab stone). I have a size 5 ring finger and I don't feel the side stone treatment makes my finger look chubby. If anything, the opposite it true and if your GF is petite, huge side stones might overwhelm her finger. I like the pic you posted above and the size of the side stones are just right. Also depends on what size Asscher you're getting.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I like the trap sides. I also like Cadillac sides for asschers.

I think it is all about proportions to suit the stone and finger.

to me your inspiration pic has the right proportions. It also has more bang for

Bullets(like the one they showed you) work well too. It would accentuate the asscher. It’s all about proportions.
Ask the jeweler to show you the set up of the 3 stone usually on foam in a jewelry box. It will give you the concept and see the proportions.

also ask if they have similar examples in their collection to “see and feel” the ring and proportions, might be tough as asschers are not as common a shape as rounds

double prong work, in my opinion for larger stones. I think you have jsut over 1 ct, and the doubleprongs may be overwhelming for the stone, unless-the prongs are super dainty. Once again, you need to see examples of their work.

I also like ribbon/ tab prongs... which sits along the corners info the asschers. This will highlight the corners. A lot of vintage rings have them set this way . This is the ribbon/tab prongs. 384D00A0-8C70-4872-82F5-4BF71AF1FEE1.jpeg
And this is the double prongs at work on a larger stone.. though I think there are vendors out there that can do better than what this picture shows. I Woudl prefer for them to be more claw like... it gives it a better feel.
I just can’t find any at the moment.... 57D41ECE-BB7B-46BC-93BB-0C37D868C135.jpeg

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
I personally really really like the brushed look. It is a very solid band

I love the finish and your asscher. What size is your asscher

Sorry, just seeing this! Happy New Year!

My Asscer is a 2.32

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results