shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut, questions on stone and setting options

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you got that asscher too-it's beautiful and a simple setting would be lovely!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ndtyler333|1318381988|3038194 said:
I may have... ;-)

GOOD. It's a beauty. I really like it and think you will too in real life.

Setting costs... hmm. What do you want to get and what's your budget if you keep the GOG stone?

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
Well if I go with a diamond for 6,000 I have to keep the ring close to $1000.

These are the types of rings she will like...

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/petite-diamond-engagement-ring-773.htm

So it looks like I have options.

So how about square shouldered rings? Should I look for rings that have that feature or is it not as important with thinner bands?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's that important. I like that sleek line, the first one you posted. It's quite beautiful. Do you mind if I look around and see what else I can find that you might like?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my favorite ring of this style in your budget. Dimend Scaasi will only set outside stones from Pricescopers so if you do want it be sure to tell them you are a pricescoper. They have lovely settings. When I wear my rings the profile is the view I see the most so it was really important to me that I have a lovely profile for my ring... this ring has is gorgeous all over but the profile is the best part: http://www.dimendscaasi.com/build/step1.asp?prodID=1-2BA It's 1300 so a wee bit over budget. But it's so gorgeous I had to post it.

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
Thats really nice, like a Tiffany. She would wear that in a heartbeat. I would like to find rings like that with a separate crown. Mounting would have less issues and upgrades ( you never know ) would be much easier if the mount is not integral to the ring. Pave vs channel set any difference other than look. 14k white gold is preferred for durability.

On that issue are all white gold rings plated? Its my understanding that the rhodium wears off, so what is the point?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ndtyler333|1318426832|3038485 said:
Thats really nice, like a Tiffany. She would wear that in a heartbeat. I would like to find rings like that with a separate crown. Mounting would have less issues and upgrades ( you never know ) would be much easier if the mount is not integral to the ring. Pave vs channel set any difference other than look. 14k white gold is preferred for durability.

On that issue are all white gold rings plated? Its my understanding that the rhodium wears off, so what is the point?

most white gold rings are rhodium plated because white gold is not 'white white' but more of a creamy color. some people prefer unplated white gold (and you can request it) but the majority is plated.

the point is to make it look white. the rhodium will wear off, so you would need to take the ring in to get replated occasionally (frequency depends on body chemistry...everyone is different).

I strongly prefer settings where the head is integrated (like the one Gypsy posted) because I think the ring looks more elegant. however you are correct in that if you were to upgrade, you would most likely not be able to reuse the setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really dislike peg heads. I understand the upgrade concern though. Would you be okay with her setting it with a lovely colored stone if you upgraded? Integrated heads just look so much nicer and more refined.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ndtyler333|1318453161|3038792 said:
James Allen sent me the ASET image today.

not bad, looks like it was a little to far in the scope. over green compared to the real image. do you have the crown height?

James%20Allen.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1354593.asp

Here is the GOG stone
this stone is an challenge the video and real life views from long discussions with Jon look better than the aset shows. This is one of the stones that demos that aset isn't a tell all. Since we have video in a known environment it tops ASET
aset_5.jpg

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4169/

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
I don't have the crown height. I did ask for some more detailed information on this stone and all they sent me was the GIA report. I would have to ask them.

I am falling for the GOG stone. I looked at many of the the vidoes on Vimeo and learned quite a bit. I wish more online sellers would do that. Fancy shapes are new territory for me.

I will have to experience this stone for myself. Looking in this price range not much really "shines" like this one as far as I can find.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ndtyler333|1318426832|3038485 said:

That one isn't channel set. It's like a bright cut bead set, since it has walls. It is safer than the exposed stones in the fishtail style pave you were looking at before.

14 or 18 are both durable. 18K will be more yellow under the plating.

Not all... all my antique heirloom white gold pieces are unplated. There are alloys. One of those is by Stuller and I think it's called X1 comes in 14K and 18K and doesn't need plating. Both Whiteflash and Dimend Scaasi makes each setting to order per your stone's measurements so you can ask them what it would cost in the stuller X1 alloy if you are interested in that . It's a good option if you want to avoid plating issues.

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
I think the color of the GOG stone will be safer too, unless you know that she's ok with warmer colors (or isn't color-sensitive). From what I've seen, stepcuts really show their colors. I know I was bothered by H's and because of that wouldn't consider going under G. (But I love G's.)

If the GOG stone doesn't end up being "the one", I would also encourage you to look at fat asschery-like emeralds. They can give you the best of both worlds, IMO.

Good luck in any case. :)

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
She isn't color sensetive at all. I can tell she can't. I agree about the G range and above. The first stone was very clever at hiding color face up. In dim light at shallow angles it still looked very white and clear dispite being a J. I have been looking at sme emeralds as well, eveny a few chunky cushions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE AND ADORE the first and dislike the last one. That one would snag on everything. Your skin, your hose, you sweaters, and your kids. Seriously, not a good choice, even with the cut corners of an asscher.

Your last choice though... winner!

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
That first solitaire is a Scott Kay, its available in Palladium.

I haven't seen palladium jewelry (nor did I know it existed). However, I work with industrial catalysts and palladium is very inert and much harder than gold or platinum. Can jewelers work with palladium rings like thay can with gold or platinum. Or are these rings not resizable?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think fewer jewelers work with palladium but i don't see why it couldn't be resized.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1318574195|3040025 said:
LOVE AND ADORE the first and dislike the last one. That one would snag on everything. Your skin, your hose, you sweaters, and your kids. Seriously, not a good choice, even with the cut corners of an asscher.

Your last choice though... winner!
I'm sorry. I reversed it. The first is snaggy (Scott kay) the last is perfect.. ritani.

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
I have that one on hold untill Monday, I will have the GOG stone in my hands tomorrow. Like I said if the GOG asscher dosen't blow me away I have this option. These two stones are nearly the same wieght, same clearity, simialr spread, and only a few shades differnt in color. A side by side comparison would be best. It would probably cost me about $50 in insured postage to send either stone back. I wonder if it is worth it just for curiosity's sake.

Responce from James Allen...

It's overall light performance is nice and appropriate for a step cut diamond like an asscher as you'll see a fair amount of green (reflected light) in the attached ASET image and a limited amount of red (direct light return). It will stunning in any setting with very good fire and I believe you'll be pleased when you see it for yourself.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ndtyler333|1318628780|3040533 said:
I have that one on hold until Monday, I will have the GOG stone in my hands tomorrow.
kewl, view it in as many lighting conditions as possible,

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
Its here.... WOW where do I start? http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4169/

There is A LOT going on in this stone. A direct view gives a field of stars appearence, tilt just a bit and you get a view of the gemoetry of the asscher cut. Dispite having a little smaller spread than the first this stone, this diamond looks huge. I love the the high crown, it really makes it look like a diamond that should cost much more. It also makes the stone look very deep, you would think its 1/2" deep peering through the table. The windmills are pronounced, as I expected to see, but thay have the appearence of floating in the middle of the diamond. I feel fortunate to have found this stone, its exeptional. Dispite streaching my budget I feel this is a very good diamond for the price.

GOG's appreasial is a bit high though, $10,600 is a bit generous. With a complete ring I'm looking at a an insured value around 12-13K.

Whats a ball park cost for insurance?

Getting back to the setting discussion it appears to me that mounting this stone is going to be critical. If thie were bezel set in low ring it would like like a completely different diamond than if it were set up high on a 4 prong. Anyy suggestions as to gewt the most of mounting a diamond like this?

I will post some pictures when I can get away with it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The right asscher for you steals your heart.
Sounds like you found the one!
Congrates!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a winner. I think prongs would be best. I've had my stone in three different heads and strong but delicate prongs and a pave shank will make your stone shine.

That one from Dimend Scaasi I posted is really the best setting. Trust me.

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
What matters most is that it steals hear heart, that is can take her breath away. So I have to ask is this the diamond for her...

Yeah this is the "one". No doubt.

Feels good to have that part figured out. I am very greatful for the advice I've gotten.

Gypsy, I agree, the pave diamonds with a trellis style setting is the way to go. I am more than likely going to have a local jeweler set the ring for me. There is a nice family owened place near by that carries the major designer rings. Last time I was in thier the owner told me to e-mail her any thing I find.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, looking forward to seeing the completed ring. Shank should be at 2-3 mm not over or under for the best look with that diamond. :) I like the settings without the cross bar across the pavilion because you see more of the diamond from profile, but that's a personal preference.

ndtyler333

Rough_Rock
Warning!!!! Gratuitous Pictures!!! :bigsmile:

LED Light from Behind

IMG_1920.jpg

Light from above

2_32.jpg

Side Profile

9_10.jpg

Bottom

10_1.jpg

This is the field of satrs I was referring to, in diffuse sunlight all I can see is sparkles the center pattern gets hidden.
This light is a bit dramatic but it shows the effect.

7_12.jpg

Some more "fire"...

4_19.jpg

5_14.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results