shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET Scope Variations

lenteamd

Rough_Rock
Looking for more detailed information about reading ASET scope images with white vs black backlighting. I am having trouble distinguishing what is strong light return vs light loss in black backlighting. Would the black backlit image be good light return or loss of light?

3617462Aasetimage.jpg 3625841Aasetimage.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ASET with white background tends to exaggerate light leakage, whereas one with black background hides it. The ASET with blackground does not reveal minor leakage.

Follow the link for comparison.

lenteamd

Rough_Rock
So the top image would be considered a very good diamond and the bottom would be about good to very good? Is there a way to detect minor light leakages on blackground, or is it rather impossible in certain cases since good light return and light leakage look identical? I am trying to improve my ability to grade these types of images

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the top image would be considered a very good diamond and the bottom would be about good to very good? Is there a way to detect minor light leakages on blackground, or is it rather impossible in certain cases since good light return and light leakage look identical? I am trying to improve my ability to grade these types of images

Both diamonds are about equal in my book.

You cannot detect minor leakage with the ASET with black background.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The second stone appears to have a little upper girdle painting.
When the pointy bits I marked in red are longer then the blue marked bits that is a giveaway.
Digging happens when the bits marked red are very very short.

1580783931298.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results