shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET Scope Reveals Cutting Quality Flaws

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA is meant to be the regulator - they are paid a lot of money that eventually comes from consumers to do it. But alas! The are paid first by the vendor.
And I think AGS standards have slipped.
I have seen some stones run through their software that score AGS 0 that were not far off the steepest deepest GIA Excellent cuts.
Garry, Did AGS changed their 0 cut standards lately?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a different but similar 1.06ct stone with a PGS score of AGS0.
If anyone want the .stl or .gem file contact me as it is not an acceptable file to upload on PS.
1623559397681.png

This stone is a colander.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a different but similar 1.06ct stone with a PGS score of AGS0.
If anyone want the .stl or .gem file contact me as it is not an acceptable file to upload on PS.
1623559397681.png
Wow! AGS 0 cut? :o:knockout:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! AGS 0 cut? :o:knockout:

To be precise - these diamonds have not been graded by AGS lab.
They have been run through AGS PGS software.
I hope someone has the AGS PGS and can verify the result - although I trust the source that listed these two diamonds and the PGS results- it is always best to confirm.
Attached again

Attachments

• AGS bad HCA.stl
    56.7 KB · Views: 9

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
@DRSAMURAI , as you may have guessed, this place is a lodestone for jewelry lovers. Many of the veteran members who contribute are passionate observers with lots of experience, and diverse opinions. Also interestingly, people see things differently - as in they literally may see things differently. Logically, all of this makes PriceScope fertile ground for granular discussions. If you like those, you'll continue enjoying PS. It's always nice to see new members engaging.

Humans see things that are not there — like distinct colors — and fail to see things that do exist — like ultraviolet and infrared. Nothing beats seeing a diamond in person and deciding whether you like it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How many people -interested diamond buyers- will notice slight leakage under the table ?
How many of those people will notice .2mm spread difference?
How many will notice the price of each of the diamonds?
Of course, as a lifelong diamond trader/grader I understand the value of Aset/ IS.
But it’s also important to put things in context.
Many buyers will choose a stone based on spread and price. Even away from deceptive lighting.
My point is that the discussion quickly turns into how buyers are getting ripped off.
Many are.
I agree that the majority of cutters have rushed to fill the “steep deep” pattern and increasing yield when doing it. But don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. There’s plenty of well made , non super ideal stones with slight leakage that will appeal to many buyers. And they’re not “wrong”. There is taste involved and other priorities.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond I agree about tastes and other priorities.

The catch being the buyer is cognizant of their preferences and/or the sacrifices being made.

It’s my opinion that most buyers don’t even know how nuances can develop a preference, let alone what those preferences are and how to successfully repeat them. Sadly, most local jewelers I’ve spoken to can’t dive into details either. Sure, you and others here can, but are you the exception or the norm? I’m going with exception based on my experiences as a consumer.

So it does come across as slimy when someone biased to make a sale is spouting their diamonds are the best. Literally everyone makes the same claim. They generalize 3X to be the standard to ensure “excellence” but we know point blank that all 3X’s aren’t excellent. When the buyer leaves the enhanced lighting environment they sometimes realize the snake oil they were sold and some find their way here trying to discover why.

Are super ideals the only awesome diamond? Nope. Is ASET going to ensure greatness? Nope. But both empower the buyer to have a better shot at greatness. I don’t see GIA, AGS, IGI or any other acronym or local jeweler stepping up to properly educate the consumer so they can make truly informed decisions.

I guess that’s not entirely true. Many jewelers here are masters and take time to educate. And PS is an acronym of sorts. Sadly neither has world wide reach of a magnitude similar to GIA.

And herein gets me back to GIA. If they were to truly educate & push cut quality, wouldn’t their loose grading system come to light? Creating a possible riff in consumer confidence and angering many jewelers along the way as they may be stuck with hard to sell inventory to a more advanced buyer?

Every stone doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful, but why can’t we just be honest about it? This stone is VG but meets preference ticks of my own and I would buy in a heartbeat. I care much less about the VG grade, then I do about my desire for the industry (as a whole) to be transparent and honest about what is being sold.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great points Sledge. Without a doubt there’s a lot of ignorance regarding cut among jewelers and of course consumers. This site has been amazing educating consumers and jewelers.
I find that it’s difficult to strike a middle ground.
Are many diamond sellers pushing goods irrelevant of cut quality ? Absolutely.
is it possible for a trained eye to pick amazing diamonds. Some of which might not look great in ASET?
Absolutely too.
So, many jewelers are pushing bad stones, not caring about or even aware of the tools.
But there’s also a segment of the trade working by eye. And they are not necessarily wrong.

Now that we’re carrying lab grown stones, we have focused more on round diamonds than in the past. I feel like I’d be limiting myself and our clients by sticking only to HCA/ ASET. Diamonds can really surprise you. It’s part of what I adore about them.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one has access to AGS PGS?

Would love to have a look Garry. But no software. :cry2:

Currently, everything I do & share is based on visual conception in my brain (yeah, that's scary, lol) or Excel spreadsheets after I figured out the math & wrote a formula.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
No one has access to AGS PGS?

The software isn't recognizing my security key. We moved houses and computers since I used it, though. I've emailed AGSL. If it's a quick fix I'll let you know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results