shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET & Photo of Emerald I'm considering-Step cut lovers Help

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Calling all step cut pro's! I found an unusual emerald cut on James Allen and fell in love with the shape.
Here are the GIA specs:
Emerald
Carat weight: 1.11
Cut: Excellent
Color: K
Clarity: VVS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 63.3%
Table: 65.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.24*5.71*3.62
Ratio: 1.09

Here's the link to the page with the photo of the stone http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VVS1-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1465262.asp

Here is what they had to say about the diamond:
We've taken the liberty of having this diamond inspected by one of our graduate gemologists and they've confirmed that diamond 1465262 is bright and has very nice light performance. As you would expect, it's beautifully eye clean and will look stunning in any setting! It's a great option and I believe you'll be very pleased with it when you see it in person.

The ASET looks really good to me, but aside from obsessively reading PS i have never judged an ASET before.
Just to clarify, I'm an old married lady, this isn't for an engagement ring nor an upgrade. I have fallen in love with step cuts and would like to set this in a ring.

1465262aset.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: ASET & Photo of Emerald I'm considering-Step cut lovers

Pretty decent from the ASET. The one step might have an issue, but as long it flashes on and off it will be fine.

Now it's a K, which will show quite a bit of color in an Emerald Cut. I'm not saying that's bad. But if you haven't seen a warm step cut before it can be surprising. But JA has a fabulous return policy so... you should be okay. And I agree with you about the awesome performance.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Thank you for replying Gypsy! I was hoping you would offer your opinion. So performance looks good overall. That was my main concern.

Will the cut help the stone look whiter because of the performance?

I have only seen E-F-G emeralds in person, all at local jewelers but two had wonky cuts and none had Gia certs. I am far from a diamond aficionado but since finding PS I would like to only purchase great quality stones. This would be my first step cut and I really liked the photo.

It is under $3k and I'm considering a rose gold solitare setting.

I have searched PS looking for threads of K step cuts and had remembered Stacylikessparkles ring.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-my-custom-twist-setting-from-jamesallen-com.171325/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-my-custom-twist-setting-from-jamesallen-com.171325/[/URL]
Her ring is really lovely and she says the faceup color is white. Wish I could find more threads.

Anyone else have opinions on the K color? Any other threads you can point me to regarding warm colored steps?

I have 24 hrs to make a decision and look forward to additional feedback.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Even with a great cut a warm EC is still going to look warm. There just aren't enough facets to mask body color, period. I've seen J Royal Asschers and they've been warm. So my advice is get the stone unset and see what you think of it. Stacy's ring is lovely, but I would caution you from deciding on how you feel about body color from pics on the net.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

My asscher was an I, and I didn't notice body color in the face up position, but did through the pavilion. It certainly wasn't yellow or even what I would call warm, just not icy white. I'm not particularly color sensitive though and I've considered that it may have even been a high I, because I was quite surprised at the difference when I purchased a J RB. I recently saw an EC at a pawn shop that was quite warm, I'm guessing MNO, I didn't have much time so I didn't ask her to pull it out for me, and when I went back it was gone, :(sad but from a quick peak it looked very vintage and unique and beautiful, I would have wanted to set it in RG too. Can't wait to here what you decided!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

woofmama|1342589758|3235949 said:
I have searched PS looking for threads of K step cuts and had remembered Stacylikessparkles ring.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-my-custom-twist-setting-from-jamesallen-com.171325/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-my-custom-twist-setting-from-jamesallen-com.171325/[/URL]
Her ring is really lovely and she says the faceup color is white. Wish I could find more threads.

Anyone else have opinions on the K color? Any other threads you can point me to regarding warm colored steps?

I really and truly love my K colored asscher, but I agree that you should see one in person to make the decision about the color for yourself. I was able to schedule an appointment to view a few diamonds (all lower in color and unset) before I knew that I LOVED the K colored option best. While it does show a bit of warmth in some lighting (it gives a nice lemony tint about 2% of the time), my diamond faces white about 98% of the time. And it has so much personality! Thanks for noticing my ring!! :D

The good news is that you can return it if the K doesn't appeal to you.

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock

Looks like it will be a stunner, buy it and see it for yourself :)

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

StacylikesSparkles said:
woofmama|1342589758|3235949 said:

I really and truly love my K colored asscher, but I agree that you should see one in person to make the decision about the color for yourself. I was able to schedule an appointment to view a few diamonds (all lower in color and unset) before I knew that I LOVED the K colored option best. While it does show a bit of warmth in some lighting (it gives a nice lemony tint about 2% of the time), my diamond faces white about 98% of the time. And it has so much personality! Thanks for noticing my ring!! :D

The good news is that you can return it if the K doesn't appeal to you.

Thanks so much for posting Stacy =) I've been lurking around here for a year & loved your ring when you showed us the bling. Really cool setting,too. I appreciate your input and think I'm going to go for it!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Christina... said:
My asscher was an I, and I didn't notice body color in the face up position, but did through the pavilion. It certainly wasn't yellow or even what I would call warm, just not icy white. I'm not particularly color sensitive though and I've considered that it may have even been a high I, because I was quite surprised at the difference when I purchased a J RB. I recently saw an EC at a pawn shop that was quite warm, I'm guessing MNO, I didn't have much time so I didn't ask her to pull it out for me, and when I went back it was gone, :(sad but from a quick peak it looked very vintage and unique and beautiful, I would have wanted to set it in RG too. Can't wait to here what you decided!

Hi Christina :wavey:
Glad to hear of the performance you got from your asscher. I'm not sure if I'm color sensitive...just starting to dip my toes in the diamond pool =) Although this is an emerald cut, I imagine simply because it's a step cut it will show color the same.

Too bad you didn't get a closer look at the pawn shop EC. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy said:
Even with a great cut a warm EC is still going to look warm. There just aren't enough facets to mask body color, period. I've seen J Royal Asschers and they've been warm. So my advice is get the stone unset and see what you think of it. Stacy's ring is lovely, but I would caution you from deciding on how you feel about body color from pics on the net.

Thanks for the advice on having the stone sent unset. I know that is standard practice for PSer's. I know absolutely nothing about the logistics of sending stones to be set, but remember a recent thread where someone asked for instructions so I'll find it and read up.

I love your asscher in the SK setting and would love to work with him, BGD, VC or LM. Right now though I am a bling on a budget girl so a simple solitare will suffice. Providing I like the stone that will be a thread for another day :cheeky:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

JoeNewbie11 said:
Looks like it will be a stunner, buy it and see it for yourself :)

Hi JoeNewbie,

I watched this thread of yours with great anticipation:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-opinions-please-1-09-g-vvs2-aset-sarin.177411/

Holy C**P what a stone! Did you find it on James Allen? I have been saving EC's to my wishlist on there for over a month. Had that one saved, I think. Clicked on the wishlist and it was no longer available. It was a bit out of my budget right now anyway but good god I love it! Congrats to you on scooping that puppy up :appl:

So based on the asset you think this cool little K I found could be a stunner! Good to know and thanks for chiming in.

Looks like I'm going to give this a shot. I'm talking to them again in the morning & will make a final decision then.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please have it shipped out loose to inspect in-person.

RBs are easy to judge w/ tools because they're predictable... ECs aren't. Red is good - it means the stone will be very bright when held still face-up (red = stone is taking in and returning light from above, which is usually the brightest sort IRL). But equally important IMO is whether you like the facet pattern IRL, and how those facets change as you tilt the stone - how much tilt it takes to change from red to blue, for example.. to judge that you'd need an ASET video - a few hours to play with it in-person is even better :sun:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Yssie said:
Please have it shipped out loose to inspect in-person.

RBs are easy to judge w/ tools because they're predictable... ECs aren't. Red is good - it means the stone will be very bright when held still face-up (red = stone is taking in and returning light from above, which is usually the brightest sort IRL). But equally important IMO is whether you like the facet pattern IRL, and how those facets change as you tilt the stone - how much tilt it takes to change from red to blue, for example.. to judge that you'd need an ASET video - a few hours to play with it in-person is even better :sun:

Hi Yssie :wavey:
So another vote for loose. I know that is the general consensus with on PS. You all have such amazing rings and customize the most fabulous settings. 8) I love your threads on WG and would love to see unplated WG in person. Might end up going down that road someday.

Here's the thing though for me, chances very high that I will love the stone, the only question in my mind is the color. If I am happy with it...I will want to wear it immediately :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Plus the idea of shipping it off to be set makes me go :-o I buy alot online but never ship anything. If I love this diamond I won't want to send it off for a while.

Now eventually I will get over my angst & someday will get a cool custom setting. Perhaps not even for this stone, but for a future upgrade.

Thanks for your detailed explaination of interpreting the ASET. I think based on the ASet photo it will be very bright and can't wait to see the facets. I am so excited! Definately will play with it outside and every lighting source in my house.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

I ordered the diamond :appl: :appl: :appl:

I will post pics and a review when I receive it early next week.

Thanks everyone for your feedback :kiss:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

Can't wait to see it! No worries on shipping it back to JA - they'll give you a return label to do so. You just go to a Fedex center and add the label to the box. It's seriously SOOO easy - their insurance covers it, too! Good luck1

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, I'm confused now - have you decided to have it set first, or are you getting it loose? Ditto Laila - there's really no drama at all with return shipping, besides actually getting to a FedEx office, if that is a concern.

Can't wait to see what you think!! I agree it'll be very bright face-up :sun:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Hi Webdiva & Yssie,

I am having the stone sent unset. I should have it Wednesday. I spoke to the customer service rep today and she explained the return procedure in depth. Also found out they are adding a lot of new settings in the coming month. I'll update this thread when I get the diamond.

Thanks to all who replied for your help! You all Rock! :kiss:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

OMG-It's here & the stone is amazing! Really blinding bright and loads of sparkle, much more than I imagined it would have.
The cut on this stone is beautiful, to my eyes, all of the steps light up, it's so pretty. :love: :love: :love:

I really don't see the warmth at all, perhaps because it is so bright.
Here are some cell phone pics.

ec_w_tsav_band_black.jpg

ec_straight_ahead.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awesome!! Good to hear that you love it :appl: Now you can have it set with absolutely no worries about whether or not you'll love your rock :bigsmile:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

As you tell from my pictures I have no idea how to take good bling photos. Those were taken on my smartphone and it is the best I can do for now. The diamond is really amazing IRL. I'll start a thread about setting it soon. I'm thinking a solitare is the way to go so I can stack it with my Tsavorite band which I love.

Thank you to all who gave me advice. I was a bit hesitant to purchase this stone solely due to the color but can honestly say I have scrutinized it in every lighting situation possible in my home and outside (very bright sunlight) and it just screams gorgeous sparkly white. I will try to get better pics on here when I start a thread about settings.

edited for spelling

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love it! Looks great next to the green stones in your band.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

YAY! I'm glad you love it. A nice cathedral like the BGD Elegance or the Dimend Scassi Alessandra would be my solitaire of choice for that one.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

So glad you like it! :appl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Yah! :appl: I am so happy that you love it!! And I think it's interesting that you find that your not seeing as much warmth as you thought you might. I felt the same way about my I colored asscher. When viewed through the pavilion in some lighting conditions I could see some body color. I was amazed too with how bright and lively my asscher was. It seemed that when we shopped locally everyone tried to warn me away from the cut, telling me that it will look 'glassy'. I was very much relieved when we received the stone and it threw off the biggest bright flashes of colored light. It's spectacular to watch the steps light up with color. YUM! I can't wait to see more photos and hear how you decide to set this beauty!

Oh, as for settings, my asscher started out in a simple solitaire and it was lovely because it made the center the star, but it wasn't long before I felt that something was missing and I decided to set it in a pave band. It made an enormous difference to the overall appearance. I think that the little tiny flashes from the melee help support the large bold flashes of the center stone. I'm not sure if Gyspys was set as a solitaire in the beginning or not, but she could tell you how she feels her diamond halo visually supports her asscher. I'd set it similar to hers. :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Good Morning Everyone :wavey:

Upon further review & having slept on it, I can say 100% that I love this diamond :bigsmile:

When my DH got home from work I showed it to him in every lighting situation and he thought it was gorgeous.
He is very sentimental about the ring he proposed with and had it custom designed at a local jeweler.
My original engagement ring is a .42ct marquise which I had tweaked in the setting last year, bezeled & set E-W.
The sides are very substantial channel set tapered bags in kind of a bypass style. I've always loved the watching the steps light up
in the bags which is what I think led to my love of step cuts. It's overall a cool looking ring,I love the uniqueness of it & people notice it fairly often.
So based on that & the fact that I will still wear my original ring I guess I'm not going to refer to this as a upgrade. I'll refer to it as
my alternative ring =)
I know I will have setting issues. I can barely make up my mind about what to order for lunch :cheeky:

Christine: Thanks for relaying your personal experince with your I asscher. It really helped me make up my mind about ordering this stone. I have looked at your pics of your former ring and do think the diamond band was really beautiful & added alot of oomph.
I will really think about that. Wasn't your setting thru James Allen? If so what did you think of the overall quality?
I love Gypsy's halo, it screams understated elegance. I have a couple hundred pics saved to my computer of rings I love and her ring is one of them.
Two concerns though if I went that route (any type of halo really) 1.Will it bring out the color of the stone in a negative way? 2. Is this my final diamond, should I spend as much on setting it as I spent on the stone?

As much as I love this little pretty I may decide to trade it in for my big "5-0" b-day in two years. (GASP)
If I go up to a 1.5ct I would probably splurge on a dream setting. Hubby turned 50 this year and we celebrated by getting him(us)
a brand new Harley. So a bigger bling purchase wouldn't be out of the question for me :naughty:

Gypsy: You always suggest really fab settings! And I love your ring :love: So if I go the solitare route (which I think I am) those are the two you prefer. I'm a Chicagoan so I could make a trip to Dimend Scassi and check out their settings. They also have a whole page of asscher settings that I stalk regularly. I'm sure it would be a drooly, blingtastic trip :cheeky:
I also love the BGD setting you suggested and like the idea of skipping the sales tax (for now). I saved the pics from the poster who got an asscher set by BGD in a rose gold Grace with tab style prongs and think that looks great,too. What do you think?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Yssie: Yes I do love my rock! She is sparkly, bright and full of fire. The steps light up beautifully. I am quite smitten =)

Derbygal: Thanks for the nice comments. My band is tsavorites. Both of my sons are January kids so this is my "mothers" ring.
Next year I hope to get a 1-2ct tsav and have a custom ring made to wear with this band. The green stones have a glow to them that really isn't captured by my inept pictures. Have to bone up on bling photography if I'm going to be a PSer :)

Stacy: I really am very happy with the diamond and want to Thank you for the feedback & encouragement on buying a K.
Your ring is fantasic and was one of the diamonds that got me looking at warmer color step cuts. I'm thrilled with it & feel like I got a kick-ass stone for a phemonial price. Once a have it set I'll post better pics but I can say that this puppy looks very white :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

"Understated elegance" is the loveliest compliment I've ever received on my ring. Thank you honey.

I am going to percolate on setting ideas for a while for you. I have a couple questions though. First, since this is an 'alternate ring' will you want to wear bands with it or can it stand alone? How is your comfort with pave? I'm leaning toward something like the Pokey special but with lower color single cut melee from Steven Kirsch.

As for how much you should spend-- I think it depends. I wanted a larger asscher until I had the right setting. Once I got the right setting I was pleased as punch to leave it be and spend ling money on other pieces. I don't know if that would work for you. There is only so much a setting can do. If what you want is a large solitaire, then no setting is really going to give you that and you would need to upgrade.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here's what I mean in terms of design. Split Crown Setting. Single sided Pave on the shanks. About 1/2 pointers in each shank. Boxy gallery with pave. I think if Steven could get you single cuts in lower colors it would be just fine with your center stone. I would expect this to cost about 3.5k from Steven.

pearlmansdanielkcush2.jpg

file.jpg

pearlmansdanielkcush2.jpg

First one here is by Daniel K. Second one is Bridget Durnell.

03tt18.jpg

59aa18.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Charmypoo has a gorgeous Leon in this style. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-dream-come-true-leon-mege-and-avc.156139/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-dream-come-true-leon-mege-and-avc.156139/[/URL] Her's is either V-cut or U-cut pave and I would suggest Bright Cut like the settings above have instead for you, it is a more durable style of pave but also because I think the straight lines would suit your EC more. Charmy's is perfect for her cushions, but I think with a step cut I prefer the look of bright cut for the shanks. I would probably do less pave on the basket as well.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

woofmama|1343310386|3240464 said:
Stacy: I really am very happy with the diamond and want to Thank you for the feedback & encouragement on buying a K.
Your ring is fantasic and was one of the diamonds that got me looking at warmer color step cuts. I'm thrilled with it & feel like I got a kick-ass stone for a phemonial price. Once a have it set I'll post better pics but I can say that this puppy looks very white :appl:

I'm so delighted to hear that you started looking at K colored step cuts based on my ring! I just love it and you're absolutely right about the kick ass pricing for the K colored options! I was skeptical myself until I saw K colors in person and then I told my then BF (now FI!!) that I would be pissed if he paid for higher color. We both adore my ring! In fact, we're picking up my wedding bands tonight! I'll start a new thread once I have them in my hand (or on it!).

Congratulations on an amazing purchase! I'm ready to see more pictures lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results