shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET and Ideal Scope ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaxPow3r

Rough_Rock
These 2 things are a new concept to me, can someone explain to me what the pictures represent and how to determine a good/bad diamond from the pics?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MaxPow3r

Rough_Rock
I could have sworn I read somewhere that there''s some software out there that allows you to plug in the stats on a diamond and it will draw up the ASET, is this true? If so, where can I download it?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/29/2008 1:53:26 PM
Author:MaxPow3r
These 2 things are a new concept to me, can someone explain to me what the pictures represent and how to determine a good/bad diamond from the pics?

The short version is that the ideal scope will reveal any reflector images such as arrows, and also where the leakage in a diamond takes place.

The ASET will tell you the above, plus where the light returning to the eye is coming from and how intense it is likely to be. The green areas are side lighting and normally less intense, the red areas represent overhead light that is normally more intense, and the blue obstruction pattern represents the area that light is obscured just by our looking at the diamond.

While initially that sounds like a negative thing, it is actually a good thing as we are genetically hard wired with the ability to detect edges and to like contrast. It has something to do with the fact that our distant ancestors were hunter gatherers, and had they not been able to discern the edge of a deers rump, or the contrast of a solid body in a leafy background they would have gotten too hungry to pass on the genetic material that we are now blessed with. Besides if the light return was uniform rather than sparkly, we could all put little mirrors in our rings for a lot less money and know when we needed a shave or had a pimple, yech.

The nice thing about the contrast patterns is that they blink on and off as our diamonds are moved, even a tiny bit, making them seem alive with sparkle and movement.

One other color can be observed in the ASET, either white or black depending on the background used, and that represents leakage.

Thus in my opinion, the ASET gives you a more complete picture of what the gem is doing and where the light doing it is coming from. It can give you an instant opinion about any shape of diamond as to where it is returning light from, and you can compare it against other diamonds of the same shape to see which one is working best according to what you like.

Wink

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:15:28 PM
Author: MaxPow3r
I could have sworn I read somewhere that there''s some software out there that allows you to plug in the stats on a diamond and it will draw up the ASET, is this true? If so, where can I download it?
Though it''s possible something like Diamand Calc or AGS PGS will do this, it defeats the purpose. To the extent the numbers you have are not precisely descriptive of the diamond, the ASET is designed to "read it for real," and correct that, as much as it''s available to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results