shape
carat
color
clarity

Art Deco Halo - Custom Ring Woes

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The major difference I see between your ring and the inspiration ring is that your gallery looks like it is sitting on top of
the shank instead of like the inspiration ring which looks like it is built into the shank. That would make your ring sit a lot
higher.

As far as the fleur de lys. The sides look like they point as much down as the inspiration ring to me. The whole fleur de lys
does look a little bit bigger to me but not that much. I think with milgrain it will look a lot daintier. I'm thinking that the
fleur de lys look like they are thicker from the side view but then again the milgrain may (or may not) fix that.

I cant say much about the halo without the stones in it. I honestly don't feel like it's that far off. I think with a little bit of
tweaking it could be there.

I think the price he gave you for that setting in plat is amazing!

rosediamond

Rough_Rock
I am thinking about making a ring with David. How much does each cad change and wax model cost? Did you loose money as your ring was cast and your center stone was set? What is the deposit for a ring made in this style?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
rosediamond|1423593530|3830360 said:
I am thinking about making a ring with David. How much does each cad change and wax model cost? Did you loose money as your ring was cast and your center stone was set? What is the deposit for a ring made in this style?

David does not charge until your ring is done to your liking. I have never paid him before seeing a picture of my final ring, set. I've never cancelled a project with him prior to that point.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
That's incredible! No deposit either?

rosediamond

Rough_Rock
For the poster who had her piece "murdered" by David and a bad inspiration ring made, did you have to buy the rings? He sounds like the perfect jeweler if he will remake a band/ring if you are not happy with it and you have no obligation to buy anything or put a deposit down. If he is not creative enough I guess I will just have to get creative for him as I am designing my own ring.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
RandG|1423598161|3830406 said:

I don't recall having paid a deposit for either of my pieces. Granted, the last time I had a piece made with him was 18 months ago, but I did not pay a deposit for either of those rings. It was one of the reasons I chose him, because I was really not sure how the piece would come out.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1423600369|3830435 said:

I don't recall having paid a deposit for either of my pieces. Granted, the last time I had a piece made with him was 18 months ago, but I did not pay a deposit for either of those rings. It was one of the reasons I chose him, because I was really not sure how the piece would come out.

I've had multiple pieces made by him, and also by other jewelers. Your centrestone is the deposit.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1423601562|3830456 said:
kb1gra|1423600369|3830435 said:

I've had multiple pieces made by him, and also by other jewelers. Your centrestone is the deposit.

well, in the case of one of my rings, that would have been a terrible deposit because I had the empty setting sent to me and the stone set locally.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I must know the wrong vendors. All the vendors I know look for a meaningful money deposit in advance of commencing work, particularly if they're ordering materials specifically for a custom piece. If this vendor is willing to do that, he's putting a very nice chip on the table, at his expense.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
RandG|1423603354|3830484 said:
I must know the wrong vendors. All the vendors I know look for a meaningful money deposit in advance of commencing work, particularly if they're ordering materials specifically for a custom piece. If this vendor is willing to do that, he's putting a very nice chip on the table, at his expense.

I find David to be very honest and accommodating. He really wants to be sure you're happy. I have been pleased in my dealings with him-- but I am not nearly as picky as some on this board.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Great information and very much appreciated!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the midst of a project with Dk and he did not require a deposit. He only wants to be paid after you are satisfied with final photos of your completed ring and he understands that sometimes a design that you thought of in your mind might not turn out just right irl so he is happy to work with you. All the CADs and rough cast has not been extra charges. My husband thinks he is a saint for putting up with all my crazy request and questions. A previous designer I worked with made me pay everything in full even before starting CADs so I was so thrown off by DK's policy. I couldn't wait to get an invoice and paid him within the hour!! After getting the ring, I was not totally happy with MY design so it is back to him to be rethunk!! I already have a second ring in the works with DK and I will definitely use him again. In my personal experience he has been awesome.... he doesn't say much, he just mostly says yes and ok.

rosediamond

Rough_Rock
I am really excited to start to work with David. I just spoke with him on the phone and my center stone will not be used as a deposit on the ring. If I do not like the pictures he will unset my stone and send it back to me, also he will work with me if I am not sure when I see the ring on my hand. I have looked but I can't find any pictures of rings he has made that I don't like. I am so happy I found this thread, thanks for the information.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results