shape
carat
color
clarity

ArkieB1's Sapphire Finally Set

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A while ago - more than a year, I think - I bought a 2+ carat blue sapphire (heat only) from @arkieb1. It has languished in my gem box while I came up with a multitude of different setting ideas based around old cuts. I ordered a suite (nearly 2ctw) of OEC diamonds from JBG - messed around with them in a daisy ring format before I ended up using them for a different project.

Then I sourced a lovely pair of OMC's cushions for a 3 stone ring but procrastinated and they were sold.

So the gem just sat there - looking sadly at me every time I opened the box.

My DH got sick of hearing me whine about it and how it was too pretty to just sit there and I really needed to make up my mind about what I wanted to do with it and pull the trigger. So, he pulled the trigger for me and I got this instead of an Easter Egg....

Sapphire 1.JPG Sapphire 2.JPG Sapphire 3.JPG

He found some "spare" diamonds in the gem box too and decided to use the baguettes on the side instead of all round diamonds. I think he did a great job of making something more modern than I usually go for but still with an antique vibe which is my "go to" look. It does look like more metal in the photos than is present in real life - there is no doubt it is a substantial setting with some heft to it but is really quite dainty in real life.

The sapphire is stunning and big - and the colour is gorgeous - my photos as always are rubbish. I have video which does it more justice but I haven't worked out how to upload that - I'll get my daughter onto it for me... I can't find the link to Arkie's original photos either - she captured the colour beautifully. Maybe if she sees this post, she can find her set and post them?

Anyway, thank you @arkieb1 for selling me the stone. Thank you to my friends in Australia for collecting it from Arkie and hand carrying it to Dubai for me. Mostly though - a huge thank you to my DH for taking the initiative and doing such a super job of the setting design. Waaay better than chocolate eggs :-o

Sapphire 7.JPG Sapphire 12.JPG

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Wonderful halo! I LOVE your (well in this case your DH's) creative halos!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Wonderful halo! I LOVE your (well in this case your DH's) creative halos!

Awww, thanks MellowYellow - that's very kind of you. I do love coloured stones but I also love the sparkle of diamonds so halos and clusters are my go to preference when it comes to settings. Predictable but whatever, I love them. I have said in a previous post that I'd halo my car if I could get away with it :Up_to_something:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone and setting! Your DH did such an amazing job in setting @arkieb1 ‘s beautiful stone. The ring looks stunning on you and I love the detailing. @arkieb1 has a great eye for stones and so do you!!! More pics please!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fantastic Easter surprise! :love: I love that your DH took the initiative and made somesting absolutely beautiful for you. I’m also a huge halo fan so this is right up my alley. The baguettes lend it a cool edge. :mrgreen2:

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, what a wonderful Easter surprise!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marvelous Easter gift. Your hubby has a great sense of halo style!

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow congrats on the present! Your husband is such a gem (pun intended)! The baguettes are a really nice touch to the halo - unique but still classic at the same time. Oh I love the ring in your avatar too. It's crazy glowy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous and bluelicious!!!:love:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way better than an Easter egg! It's gorgeous and your hubby did a fabulous setting job!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely Easter gift! Loving the Art Deco inspired side baguettes, and of course, gorgeous sapphire. You must be so happy...congratulations!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Congrats, so glad you got around to setting it!!! The stone is more blue and less purple than your pics IRL & you new ring is far cooler than an Easter egg :) ;
IMG_4292.JPG

Thank you so much @arkieb1 for posting your photo which shows the stone in all its glory.

It is a lovely stone and that little window - you really have to look for it now and it is only because I know it is there that I know where to look. Now I finally undertand the concept closing up of a window. It doesn't go away but it draws your eye less in real life.

Thank you again @arkieb1 ..... now a Jedi spinel or that pair of cushion rubies perhaps should come stay with me for a while??????

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooo pretty pretty :love:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love chocolate eggs! But I guess I'd rather have the ring! It's beautiful!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful! And you’re so lucky to have him! My boyfriend of almost 5 years thinks jewelry, gemstones, & diamonds are a waste of money & resources so he’d never do anything like that for me. :( I think your husband did a fantastic job! I like the baguettes on the side especially. This is such a lovely gift! Enjoy it and thank you for sharing!

A while ago - more than a year, I think - I bought a 2+ carat blue sapphire (heat only) from @arkieb1. It has languished in my gem box while I came up with a multitude of different setting ideas based around old cuts. I ordered a suite (nearly 2ctw) of OEC diamonds from JBG - messed around with them in a daisy ring format before I ended up using them for a different project.

Then I sourced a lovely pair of OMC's cushions for a 3 stone ring but procrastinated and they were sold.

So the gem just sat there - looking sadly at me every time I opened the box.

My DH got sick of hearing me whine about it and how it was too pretty to just sit there and I really needed to make up my mind about what I wanted to do with it and pull the trigger. So, he pulled the trigger for me and I got this instead of an Easter Egg....

Sapphire 1.JPG Sapphire 2.JPG Sapphire 3.JPG

He found some "spare" diamonds in the gem box too and decided to use the baguettes on the side instead of all round diamonds. I think he did a great job of making something more modern than I usually go for but still with an antique vibe which is my "go to" look. It does look like more metal in the photos than is present in real life - there is no doubt it is a substantial setting with some heft to it but is really quite dainty in real life.

The sapphire is stunning and big - and the colour is gorgeous - my photos as always are rubbish. I have video which does it more justice but I haven't worked out how to upload that - I'll get my daughter onto it for me... I can't find the link to Arkie's original photos either - she captured the colour beautifully. Maybe if she sees this post, she can find her set and post them?

Anyway, thank you @arkieb1 for selling me the stone. Thank you to my friends in Australia for collecting it from Arkie and hand carrying it to Dubai for me. Mostly though - a huge thank you to my DH for taking the initiative and doing such a super job of the setting design. Waaay better than chocolate eggs :-o

Sapphire 7.JPG Sapphire 12.JPG

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely better than an Easter egg! Very impressed your husband did this by himself!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire ring turned out gorgeous. It was worth the wait. :wavey:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely lovely! :love:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love:Beautiful! That’s a spectacular ring!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Your husband :love:

Love the stone and setting!!

Did you have any idea/input?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D7566347-EFA6-41AF-BEBC-5D26BF622FC5.jpeg I’m so love with your ring. The Art Deco feel is right up my alley.
Hang on, I do believe I might have a sapphire (or two) !!!
And I didn’t get anything for Easter.
Why is my Hubby like “nnnnnnnnooooooooo”

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just saw this... beautiful ring and so unique! Nice going!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow. Your husband :love:

Love the stone and setting!!

Did you have any idea/input?

Ringo - I usually trot off to the jeweler and get stuff made at fairly regular intervals which meant DH was feeling a bit left out and was unable to "surprise" me.

So now I keep my unset gems each in a zip lock baggie into which I put a range of sample setting inspiration ideas. He takes the baggie and the pictures and works with the jeweler to incorporate some of those ideas (or not - but that doesn't always end well :doh:) and comes up with something that he feels is "his" gift to me. So sometimes the inspiration pics will be just rings, other times pendants, rings and bracelets - he usually takes more than one baggie out of the box so I'm never certain what he's going to have set until I receive it.

The inspiration pics with the sapphire were all hexagonal in one form or another after I gave up on the old cut daisy or 3 stone setting ideas so that is what he worked with.

I believe this was intended for my birthday later this month but we have had some health issues lately and he just wanted to brighten my day (plus I think he forgot to get me an Easter Egg, :roll).

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
D7566347-EFA6-41AF-BEBC-5D26BF622FC5.jpeg I’m so love with your ring. The Art Deco feel is right up my alley.
Hang on, I do believe I might have a sapphire (or two) !!!
And I didn’t get anything for Easter.
Why is my Hubby like “nnnnnnnnooooooooo”

Hahhaha Bron - living in Dubai allows for relatively inexpensive setting fees (the standard isn't quite as lovely as some of the pieces we have had made by JBG, LAD or CVB but then the prices here are a fraction of the cost). I'm hoping to get as much set as I can before we potentially move from here later this year - wherever we end up - most likely Australia - my gem collecting / jewelry setting will come to a screaming halt.

But wait - weren't we talking about you having those pair of sapphires set as earrings? If you aren't - you need to give them to me cos they will match my ring perfectly!

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
Stunning! You and your DH have a great eye!

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Wow that's absolutely gorgeous! I actually just missed out on that sapphire! But it's always nice to see how a stone you missed out on ends up.;)2 Just stunning! Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results