shape
carat
color
clarity

Argh help please - some workout advice?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like yogawithadriene.com. She has tons of free videos on YouTube and a subscription option.

go.dancechurch.com is on demand for $19/mo. It’s something different which I like. HAVE to mix it up as I don’t enjoy exercise and get bored easily.

Good luck on your journey!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty obsessed with Josephine on Gymra. Google her name and workout and they should pop up. They are short workouts, most with weights, and I find her personality really engaging.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night I set up My Fitness Pal & started to use it this morning. My husband downloaded it in January last year because he wanted to lose around 20lbs & over the course of the year, he managed to shed 24lbs & has kept it off. Although he doesn't have hormones at play, he is a year older than me & found his middle age spread very annoying. He now looks great & still logs all exercise & food, though can be a bit slack with food over the weekend as that's when we relax a bit. But he runs a 10k every Saturday morning, so he can afford it.

My exercise is great, so I'm thinking I really need to focus on calories in versus expenditure. I've never been a calorie counter so thought it might be interesting to monitor. I may surprise myself at how much I actually eat? Will keep you posted.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like yogawithadriene.com. She has tons of free videos on YouTube and a subscription option.

go.dancechurch.com is on demand for $19/mo. It’s something different which I like. HAVE to mix it up as I don’t enjoy exercise and get bored easily.

Good luck on your journey!

Oops sorry somehow I missed your reply! I tried yoga with adriene back in January and found it too painful on my hips. But since then I have been doing a lot more exercise and stretching so maybe I need to give it another shot.

I will have a look at dance church, the name alone is intriguing!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty obsessed with Josephine on Gymra. Google her name and workout and they should pop up. They are short workouts, most with weights, and I find her personality really engaging.

Again sorry for the late reply I missed seeing that you had responded. That’s really interesting mreader, I haven’t found anyone I have found that engaging yet on a personal level so I will definitely take a look at Josephine! Thank you

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last night I set up My Fitness Pal & started to use it this morning. My husband downloaded it in January last year because he wanted to lose around 20lbs & over the course of the year, he managed to shed 24lbs & has kept it off. Although he doesn't have hormones at play, he is a year older than me & found his middle age spread very annoying. He now looks great & still logs all exercise & food, though can be a bit slack with food over the weekend as that's when we relax a bit. But he runs a 10k every Saturday morning, so he can afford it.

My exercise is great, so I'm thinking I really need to focus on calories in versus expenditure. I've never been a calorie counter so thought it might be interesting to monitor. I may surprise myself at how much I actually eat? Will keep you posted.

Your husband did really well Alex! 24 pounds is a lot to lose and keep off. Mine has really piled on the pounds over winter. I think kids home every day and doing lunch for them didn’t help either. Luckily as the weather is better he is doing more skateboarding now and our dog is well enough to be walked properly again.
I’ve not heard of my fitness pal before but it’s great that you have narrowed down calorie intake as area to look at. Fingers crossed it comes down to making some small tweaks.
I’ve had a reasonable week exercise wise but did indulge in a Maccie Ds yesterday. My birthday is later this week and with Mother’s Day in Sunday I think I might be stalling a bit over the next 7 days
House feels very strangely empty today with my littleys back at school for first time in months. Going to take the dog out shortly for a brisk walk l!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Tracking helps me a lot, I think the act of having to faithfully record everything I eat makes me re think snacking. My husband lost about 70 lbs using my fitness pal!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops sorry somehow I missed your reply! I tried yoga with adriene back in January and found it too painful on my hips. But since then I have been doing a lot more exercise and stretching so maybe I need to give it another shot.

I will have a look at dance church, the name alone is intriguing!

Doyogawithme.com might be worth checking out. Different levels and can target different areas. Lots of different instructors so it’s hit or miss to you find one you like. Good luck!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tracking helps me a lot, I think the act of having to faithfully record everything I eat makes me re think snacking. My husband lost about 70 lbs using my fitness pal!

Wow! That's a fantastic weight loss! And yes, the only person I will be cheating by not being honest on the app is myself, so I'm very determined to see how i get on.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your husband did really well Alex! 24 pounds is a lot to lose and keep off. Mine has really piled on the pounds over winter. I think kids home every day and doing lunch for them didn’t help either. Luckily as the weather is better he is doing more skateboarding now and our dog is well enough to be walked properly again.
I’ve not heard of my fitness pal before but it’s great that you have narrowed down calorie intake as area to look at. Fingers crossed it comes down to making some small tweaks.
I’ve had a reasonable week exercise wise but did indulge in a Maccie Ds yesterday. My birthday is later this week and with Mother’s Day in Sunday I think I might be stalling a bit over the next 7 days
House feels very strangely empty today with my littleys back at school for first time in months. Going to take the dog out shortly for a brisk walk l!

Don't get me started on what we ate at weekend. It was my daughters birthday & she chose homemade breakfast pizza (no oil & relatively healthy, but still.... pizza at breakfast...) and a Maccies for dinner on Saturday night, plus cake. And then last night I was exhausted & really could not be arsed standing in the kitchen cooking, so ordered Indian takeaway. And I think logging my calories is going to tell me something I don't know??! Although in fairness it was a very atypical weekend for us food wise. I always cook from scratch & make healthy meals.

I had my youngest at school today but the oldest had to go in for her lateral flow test then come home again. She has learned online today but her test is negative so she starts back tomorrow. So tomorrow is the day that my house will be truly quiet, but I will be much busier, dropping them off early at different schools, then running, then going into school myself to work, then home for an hour, then back out to go & collect them both again. I have actually enjoyed getting up at 7.30am instead of 6.45am these last weeks!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow that’s an awesome result!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Doyogawithme.com might be worth checking out. Different levels and can target different areas. Lots of different instructors so it’s hit or miss to you find one you like. Good luck!

I will have a look, thanks. I’m bored of what I am doing at the moment need to switch up.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don't get me started on what we ate at weekend. It was my daughters birthday & she chose homemade breakfast pizza (no oil & relatively healthy, but still.... pizza at breakfast...) and a Maccies for dinner on Saturday night, plus cake. And then last night I was exhausted & really could not be arsed standing in the kitchen cooking, so ordered Indian takeaway. And I think logging my calories is going to tell me something I don't know??! Although in fairness it was a very atypical weekend for us food wise. I always cook from scratch & make healthy meals.

I had my youngest at school today but the oldest had to go in for her lateral flow test then come home again. She has learned online today but her test is negative so she starts back tomorrow. So tomorrow is the day that my house will be truly quiet, but I will be much busier, dropping them off early at different schools, then running, then going into school myself to work, then home for an hour, then back out to go & collect them both again. I have actually enjoyed getting up at 7.30am instead of 6.45am these last weeks!

Ah well it’s only one weekend and an atypical one at that. Having said that ‘oh it doesn’t matter it’s only one it won’t do any harm’ Is what my husband always says when I am trying to work out if I am going to indulge! If I had something every time he said it I would be vastly bigger!
Pizza for breakfast sounds AMAZING I have had pizza for breakfast before but it was leftovers so not so magnificent. We are having pizza on Thursday for my birthday and I am having a box of guylian to myself because I want to but I will exercise as usual. Sunday we will have a meal for Mothering Sunday and I know chocolate fridge cake is going to be made. Saturday I’ve culled my husband’s planned curry because let’s not be greedy eh?! I will also have some wine both days!
Then I will be better behaved until Easter!
How was your first ‘quiet’ day? I had back/hip pain and didn’t manage a walk today but still managed to clock 12000 steps. Didn’t realise walking to and from my car at school would clock so many! Tomorrow husband is doing school run so going to exercise first thing. Thinking I might try some Davina I think I am over hiit training for the moment I feel like I struggle so much with squats/one hand pushups/burpees that I just cannot see me really progressing past beginners. I could try someone else of course but I don’t feel my heart is in it.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been doing HASfit on YouTube. It’s a husband and wife trainer and they’re pretty good. He is motivating and she does modifications. They have a bunch of different levels starting at beginner, even over 60, even “injured”, and also offer strength, cardio, HIIT, which I alternate throughout the week.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been doing HASfit on YouTube. It’s a husband and wife trainer and they’re pretty good. He is motivating and she does modifications. They have a bunch of different levels starting at beginner, even over 60, even “injured”, and also offer strength, cardio, HIIT, which I alternate throughout the week.

I saw them before actually didn’t go for them but maybe I will now. Do you feel like you are making good progress?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah well it’s only one weekend and an atypical one at that. Having said that ‘oh it doesn’t matter it’s only one it won’t do any harm’ Is what my husband always says when I am trying to work out if I am going to indulge! If I had something every time he said it I would be vastly bigger!
Pizza for breakfast sounds AMAZING I have had pizza for breakfast before but it was leftovers so not so magnificent. We are having pizza on Thursday for my birthday and I am having a box of guylian to myself because I want to but I will exercise as usual. Sunday we will have a meal for Mothering Sunday and I know chocolate fridge cake is going to be made. Saturday I’ve culled my husband’s planned curry because let’s not be greedy eh?! I will also have some wine both days!
Then I will be better behaved until Easter!
How was your first ‘quiet’ day? I had back/hip pain and didn’t manage a walk today but still managed to clock 12000 steps. Didn’t realise walking to and from my car at school would clock so many! Tomorrow husband is doing school run so going to exercise first thing. Thinking I might try some Davina I think I am over hiit training for the moment I feel like I struggle so much with squats/one hand pushups/burpees that I just cannot see me really progressing past beginners. I could try someone else of course but I don’t feel my heart is in it.

Happy Birthday for tomorrow! There are NO healthy eating or diet rules on your Birthday. It's the law!

My house does feel very quiet, but it's nice because the girls are SO much happier to be back than they were sitting at their desks in their rooms all day.

I hear you re the HIIT. I think I have done it SO much that I need a break. Yesterday I did 30 minutes yoga, showered, then went out for a 50 minute brisk walk. It all counts!

So far, I am getting on quite well with My Fitness Pal. I have set myself 1,800 cals per day, which in theory allows me a 1lb weight loss per week. But I have exercised every morning & that is giving me between an extra 350 - 500 cals per day. I have decided not to eat them & keep them as a buffer. I haven't felt hungry really, so I don't feel like i am dieting & therefore my brain is doubtful this will have any impact. Time will tell. Though I will admit that I have been really strict with the no nibbling, so for example usually when I make my daughters packed lunch, a chunk of cheese or a few cherry tomatoes will find their way into my mouth in the process, but the thought of having to then grab my phone & be accountable puts me off!

I am keeping my buffer calories for my Saturday night Prosecco, unhealthy dinner & Mothers Day =)2

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I’m down one more lb. Slow going but at least it’s the right direction! My husband had to travel this week so my exercise has been limited but I’ve stuck to healthy eating.

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
I went up by 2 lbs this week. I hope it's from water retention, my rings are spinning less. I am doing more strength classes on the peloton app

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw them before actually didn’t go for them but maybe I will now. Do you feel like you are making good progress?

I like them because they have so many different options. I liked to alternate HASfit full body strength one day, with a cardio the next, and then a Pilates day (except for having recently developed an incisional hernia from my DIEP flap surgery, I’ve backed off the core work until that is repaired :().

I’m substituting the pilates day (not HASfit) with arm/shoulder or legs/butt workout.

I do feel like I’m making progress, and I’m only doing a 30 minute video five days a week and walking a couple miles a couple days a week.

I started out fresh after recovering from surgery at the end of September to now. I have definition on my abs (upper abs) and in my arms, both look slimmer, though I haven’t lost much weight. Posture is so much better and clothes fit better and I really notice when I have to lift stuff or hold heavy things for prolonged periods.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them because they have so many different options. I liked to alternate HASfit full body strength one day, with a cardio the next, and then a Pilates day (except for having recently developed an incisional hernia from my DIEP flap surgery, I’ve backed off the core work until that is repaired :().

I’m substituting the pilates day (not HASfit) with arm/shoulder or legs/butt workout.

I do feel like I’m making progress, and I’m only doing a 30 minute video five days a week and walking a couple miles a couple days a week.

I started out fresh after recovering from surgery at the end of September to now. I have definition on my abs (upper abs) and in my arms, both look slimmer, though I haven’t lost much weight. Posture is so much better and clothes fit better and I really notice when I have to lift stuff or hold heavy things for prolonged periods.

This is fabulous - well done you!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
If you are still considering recommendations, I found Jessica Valant Pilates during our big shutdown. I had done yoga for years but knew little about Pilates. Bottoms line: I’m hooked. I’ve never enjoyed any kind of exercise more. She’s and excellent teacher, also a physical therapist, so everything is modifiable. She has free videos, periodically does free week long boot camps (I think one is going on right now) and has a very reasonable pay site should you decide to go that way. It requires no equipment. I can’t recommend it enough.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am almost at the end of Wk 3 using My Fitness Pal and..........

IT'S WORKING!!

It's a bit of a pain in the arse to weight & log my food & all of my exercise, but it has certainly kept me focused & very strict. Any extra calories I accumulate each day through exercise I note in my diary, then I can eat & drink them on a Saturday night without guilt. I haven't weighed myself, but I am no longer over hanging my jeans at the hip, can see my abdomen is flatter & feel very much less bloated than I did.

So far I would highly recommend it & will keep you posted.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

IT'S WORKING!!

It's a bit of a pain in the arse to weight & log my food & all of my exercise, but it has certainly kept me focused & very strict. Any extra calories I accumulate each day through exercise I note in my diary, then I can eat & drink them on a Saturday night without guilt. I haven't weighed myself, but I am no longer over hanging my jeans at the hip, can see my abdomen is flatter & feel very much less bloated than I did.

Great to hear! Those results are so motivating - congratulations!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are still considering recommendations, I found Jessica Valant Pilates during our big shutdown. I had done yoga for years but knew little about Pilates. Bottoms line: I’m hooked. I’ve never enjoyed any kind of exercise more. She’s and excellent teacher, also a physical therapist, so everything is modifiable. She has free videos, periodically does free week long boot camps (I think one is going on right now) and has a very reasonable pay site should you decide to go that way. It requires no equipment. I can’t recommend it enough.

Wow that sounds like an excellent recommendation! I will check her out.
I’ve been off exercise for a few weeks now - I had a nightmare couple of weeks and wasn’t feeling it and then my husband injured himself so I was doing all the dog walks/running around.
So now I need to get back on it!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

How is it going, are you still progressing? Sounds like you have seen great results.
What’s the prognosis on the incisional hernia?

I have been in a bit of a slump with my exercising and consequently didn’t visit this thread as it made me feel guilty so I’m sorry for the late response!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I went up by 2 lbs this week. I hope it's from water retention, my rings are spinning less. I am doing more strength classes on the peloton app

What a pain :(. How are you doing a few weeks later?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m down one more lb. Slow going but at least it’s the right direction! My husband had to travel this week so my exercise has been limited but I’ve stuck to healthy eating.

Yes slow but in the right direction is key! Have you managed to get back to doing more exercise now? Ive pretty much only been dog walking (5-8km a day though) but I’ve also struggled with my eating, although I’ve generally been healthy if I have chocolate or something sweet more than one day in a row I totally fall off the wagon and that’s happened a few times last few weeks!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

IT'S WORKING!!

Alex this is great news, I’m pleased you have found something that works for you!
I’ve not done so well the last few weeks although I haven’t put on weight I’ve definitely stagnated and I’m not feeling so healthy or energetic.
I am going to some sort of workout later and kick start myself again

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex this is great news, I’m pleased you have found something that works for you!
I’ve not done so well the last few weeks although I haven’t put on weight I’ve definitely stagnated and I’m not feeling so healthy or energetic.
I am going to some sort of workout later and kick start myself again

We all have off times & I think occasionally we need that. Whilst exercise is vital, it's also good for your mental health to rest sometimes & just sack it all off. Instead of running today, my eldest daughter & I our going for a long walk through the fields in this beautiful sunshine. Youngest daughter is on her last day of 10 days isolation, due to her school class being closed on the back of a positive child. Thankfully she hasn't shown symptoms & my eldest & i have to test twice weekly (she's at High School) & have remained negative throughout. So a nice walk to chew the fat of high school drama will be my Good Friday exercise.

You'll pick up your pace & soon get back into it. Listening to your body is really important.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results