shape
carat
color
clarity

Argh help please - some workout advice?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It affects my confidence too. I was obese in my late teens / early 20's, then lost 8 stone over 2.5 years by sheer bloody mindedness, willpower & hard work. I reached my goal weight & size 12 when I was 24 (I'm quite tall & broad, so this is the ideal size for me otherwise I get too bony) & was lucky to have continued to work super hard & stayed trim & fit. I only gained 25lbs & 23lbs with my pregnancies & was one of those annoying people who were back in their jeans after 3 weeks.

So at this stage now, I am realising how much our hormones play in the shape of our bodies as women age. This isn't a normal thing for me - I'm a size 14 now & feel chubby, even though I don't really look that way to other people. I don't like it.

I love gardening & I love my garden, but since the winter hit & I cleared away the last of the fallen leaves, there's nothing to do out there. And man alive, it's been cold! I also walk a lot. We live really rural & I drag the kids & Mr T out most days for fresh air. When I look at what I do on paper, i'd expect to see a six pack :lol:

I have always said that I wanted to be in the shape of my life when I hit 50, just because, and now I'm realising why us ladies get a bit bigger at that age instead. I hugely admire Davina McCall & how she looks. Her face is a little drawn, but I think she's amazing & to think she only started to get fit at my age inspires me.

I'm feeling focused & if nothing else, I just want to still be fit & strong. Having said that, I've been on PS since earlier, sat here in my runners, so I really need to get outside & into those fields before the kids start asking what's for lunch!

Did you manage your run Alex?

I totally get you, 14 isn’t big and nobody else is thinking it but it isn’t your happy weight. I am a size 12 at the moment. For a good 10 years before having children I was a 10 though and that’s where I would like to get back to.

I think davina looks amazing, that furore over her dress the other day was hilarious :lol-2:. I did a thread a while back when I was trying to get a string of turquoise beads to recreate her necklace look so I even aspire to her jewellery!
Have you tried any of her workouts? I know someone recommended them earlier in the thread, think they might be my next port of call.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's rubbish, isn't it?! I'm also finding that even though I recover from my runs relatively quickly, I stay red faced, hot cheeked & flushed for about 30 minutes. I've not started with the dreaded sweats or anything yet, but this flushing for so long after running started around August, the same time everything else was turning to shit & I ended up at the GP's for all the blood work.

But we will keep chipping away. Going for a long walk with the girls after lunch whilst they're not tied to their desks & then will find 15 mins later on to lift some weights.

Keep us posted on how you get on. It'll be good to have someone my age with a similar battle to keep motivated.

Re the flush red thing that has always been me after any form of high intensity exercise all my life!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a similar age to you and @Alex T and am also struggling with under arms and stomach flab as I age. All these lockdowns certainly haven’t helped but I think the underlying issue is definitely ageing. So I’m joining you all in upping the exercise and (trying to) eat better. It’s hard work!

I feel a real temptation to hold my bingo wing with my other hand as I wave. I would look seriously weird but at least it wouldn’t flap :oops:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My mum and I try Joe Wickes every now and then, we both choose which YouTube video to watch, press start at the same time, while doing a WhatsApp video call, so we can see/hear each other. But then I end up shouting "me and mum are doing Joe Wickes in the kitchen" which doesn't sound quite right:oops:

It does sound like you are having far more excitement than the rest of the country though :lol:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I totally get you, 14 isn’t big and nobody else is thinking it but it isn’t your happy weight. I am a size 12 at the moment. For a good 10 years before having children I was a 10 though and that’s where I would like to get back to.

I think davina looks amazing, that furore over her dress the other day was hilarious :lol-2:. I did a thread a while back when I was trying to get a string of turquoise beads to recreate her necklace look so I even aspire to her jewellery!
Have you tried any of her workouts? I know someone recommended them earlier in the thread, think they might be my next port of call.

The Davina recommendation was probably me - I’ve got years worth of her dvds from since I had kids, as they were cheaper and easier than getting to the gym. I prefer the more recent ones - body buff and toned in 10 - as you can cut sections together yourself to make a tailored workout that fits into whatever time you’ve got available. The toned in 10 is quite similar to Callanetics (blast from the past & the early 90s) or barre, so you might not enjoy that based on what you said earlier.

(and I’m giggling at your holding your bingo wings while you wave comment - if you can work out a surreptitious way to do it, please share!)

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did manage a quick 7k run & for a change it was really warm at 10c. I ended up taking my jacket off & tying around my waist! And to think that when I ran last Friday it was -6c & blowing an icy hooley is unreal :-o

And this afternoon the girls & I walked down the bridle tracks for 30 minutes, then turned around & headed home. I don't wear a FitBit, but my youngest clocked up 6.5k steps on our walk, so I've done well today & been carb free, except for the few wedges i had with dinner. Hopefully if i can keep going this week with activity & no carbs, i might feel a bit less bloated by wkend.

Thanks for the Davina workout recommendations & I'll definitely check them out. I crush her jewellery too! You know what i'm like with bracelets - i LOVE the heavy yellow good ones she wears. I loved her wedding set (even zoomed in to examine on several occasions & I'm pretty sure they were Cartier) & the eternity she wore on her RH. I just crush her completely.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did manage a quick 7k run & for a change it was really warm at 10c. I ended up taking my jacket off & tying around my waist! And to think that when I ran last Friday it was -6c & blowing an icy hooley is unreal :-o

And this afternoon the girls & I walked down the bridle tracks for 30 minutes, then turned around & headed home. I don't wear a FitBit, but my youngest clocked up 6.5k steps on our walk, so I've done well today & been carb free, except for the few wedges i had with dinner. Hopefully if i can keep going this week with activity & no carbs, i might feel a bit less bloated by wkend.

Thanks for the Davina workout recommendations & I'll definitely check them out. I crush her jewellery too! You know what i'm like with bracelets - i LOVE the heavy yellow good ones she wears. I loved her wedding set (even zoomed in to examine on several occasions & I'm pretty sure they were Cartier) & the eternity she wore on her RH. I just crush her completely.

Oh wow check you out. I’ve done an hours walk, 10 mins on the bike and planning a joe wicks beginners hiit (I tend to do them late otherwise I get disturbed) but I’m also about to eat a slice of chocolate fridge cake which has been winking at me seductively from the fridge all day. That’s it then for the rest of the month promise.
Re davina only had eyes for her turquoise necklace will now try and find her wedding set and heavy yellow gold bracelets!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Davina recommendation was probably me - I’ve got years worth of her dvds from since I had kids, as they were cheaper and easier than getting to the gym. I prefer the more recent ones - body buff and toned in 10 - as you can cut sections together yourself to make a tailored workout that fits into whatever time you’ve got available. The toned in 10 is quite similar to Callanetics (blast from the past & the early 90s) or barre, so you might not enjoy that based on what you said earlier.

(and I’m giggling at your holding your bingo wings while you wave comment - if you can work out a surreptitious way to do it, please share!)

Right I am going to look properly at Davina, especially as we me and @Alex T seem to be starting a fan club.

Dunno about the bingo wings. Some sort of Clips and string contraption :lol-2:

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    March Birthstone 2021 - Aquamarine
    March Birthstone 2021 - Aquamarine
    Soapy Love
    Soapy Love
    How much to spend on an Engagement Ring in 2021
    How much to spend on an Engagement Ring in 2021

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.