shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh yes...... and closer to home for us- we‘ve moved heaven and earth to keep my 95 year old mother in law safe. Food deliveries, socially distanced visits in the garden and so on. Now her other son, who lives in the US (he’ll be travelling through New York and will have to self isolate for 2 weeks on arrival) wants to come for a visit. Guess where he’s going to self isolate? HER house! Aaaaaargh! I realise they want to see each other but it makes a total mockery of everything we’ve done so far.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh yes...... and closer to home for us- we‘ve moved heaven and earth to keep my 95 year old mother in law safe. Food deliveries, socially distanced visits in the garden and so on. Now her other son, who lives in the US (he’ll be travelling through New York and will have to self isolate for 2 weeks on arrival) wants to come for a visit. Guess where he’s going to self isolate? HER house! Aaaaaargh! I realise they want to see each other but it makes a total mockery of everything we’ve done so far.

:shock:
No words..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ugh, is there nothing you can do to persuade him otherwise? I mean try to reason with him and appeal to his love of his mother and the need to keep her safe. Because if she gets infected with Covid odds are she will not come through it. Can you appeal to his logical side and his emotional side as well?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you @Snowdrop13 .

And I might add that I'm utterly tired of selfish behaviorbehavior from all possible groups of people.

- We've been invited to : a 100 th birthday bash (!!) - around 80 people

- a 77th birthday bash (birthday boy is diabetic) around 20 people

-several (more than 5 off the too if my head) first communions with grandparents present etc etc.
- several get-togethers hosted by people over 65

Every time the old (in the case above VERY old) grandparents will meet with the college age grandkids.
We're in PARIS where numbers among young people are sky high. Our hospital system is OK, because it's the young and healthy for the moment - death and icu care rates are low.

Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to mix college age kids and schoolkids with 100 year old granny???

When I politely declined I was flooded with phone calls and people who tried to convince us to come.
It's the same around me - my friends tell me the same. In many cases they went and attended, because the family pressure was so high.
My MIL has ridiculed me several times on the WhatsApp family group for not wanting to put 77y/o diabetic FIL at risk.

We've shut down our economy for THEM - the old and vulnerable, those with comorbidities.
I happy do my share. I think it's important. But if people are actively putting themselves at risk I'm starting to get very angry. And my motivation for the next lockdown is way down.

I'm so frustrated.

I share your frustration. I live my life by the following statement. Do what you want as long as you don't affect me negatively in any way. Perhaps that is a bit tongue in cheek (my favorite line from Will and Grace) but it rings true. People are foolish and behave recklessly and it doesn't just affect them. Rather, it has far reaching consequences. Yes, foolishness and stupidity and "center of the universe" mentality that so many show is a deadly combination.

So I share your frustration and I also am angry with those who show disregard for others safety and are reckless in their behavior. :(

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

Oh dear.

this is real real bad, in everyway!! the logic of him isolating with your elderly mother in law is outrageously faulty. No good will come of it. WAY too RISKY!!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I share your frustration. I live my life by the following statement. Do what you want as long as you don't affect me negatively in any way. Perhaps that is a bit tongue in cheek (my favorite line from Will and Grace) but it rings true. People are foolish and behave recklessly and it doesn't just affect them. Rather, it has far reaching consequences. Yes, foolishness and stupidity and "center of the universe" mentality that so many show is a deadly combination.

So I share your frustration and I also am angry with those who show disregard for others safety and are reckless in their behavior. :(

((Hugs)) @missy

I'm waiting for our next "state of the union" - type speech by our president.... Should be out in about 2-3 hrs...
Several good friends & family members who are self employed will not survive a second lockdown financially. I'm worried.

Oto they WILL tighten the measures and ,maybe the gatherings will be illegal tomorrow - at least my family and my friend's families are law abiding citizens - so when it's outright prohibited, they won't do it ...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am taking each day and embracing the new normal as it comes the best I can, in the hope that an effective vaccine will be available eventually, so that we can all get back to how life used to be.

I must try my best not to get wound up by other people's negativity, or by those whose attitudes towards the pandemic do not agree with mine.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just heard Fauci say we have to hunker down this autumn and winter. It’s going to be a tough rest of year and beyond. I forgot my rule no news. :(

Fauci warns US needs to 'hunker down' for fall, winter: 'It's not going to be easy'

One day at a time. And when that’s tough one hour at a time.

Sending everyone hugs and good wishes for a healthy present and future.

We’ll get through this slowly but surely. We have no other choice.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, is there nothing you can do to persuade him otherwise? I mean try to reason with him and appeal to his love of his mother and the need to keep her safe. Because if she gets infected with Covid odds are she will not come through it. Can you appeal to his logical side and his emotional side as well?

My husband is trying to point out the negatives but whether they will listen, I don’t know. They’re both pretty determined people.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
more and more information is coming to light that younger people are having heart problems after having Covid.. I am not more scared than ever.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
more and more information is coming to light that younger people are having heart problems after having Covid.. I am not more scared than ever.

(((Hugs))) Kate my wonderful dear friend. Please stay safe and well. We have dates to look forward to and conversation and bling to enjoy together. ❤

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

inne

Shiny_Rock
We have been very lucky in Canada and case counts are quite low. I really hope that stays true in the coming months - it's too easy to think we're safe when we're not. I'm bored out of my mind, but it's better than the alternative.

But I am even more concerned about the US. Partially because I really want to visit my family there and suspect it will be a long time before that feels like a responsible thing to do. My parents live in Southern California and are going bananas from not being able to travel, which they usually do about 4-5 months of the year. So last weekend they took a weekend driving trip down to San Diego and even though they're distancing, wearing masks, only getting takeout, got a portable HEPA filter for their hotel room, etc. I am so worried about them. And my relatives in Europe are flying around all over the place on holiday. Just sit still for a bit!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! and Missy I cannot wait.. and pizza! don't forget. xoxoxoxoxo

(((Hugs))) Kate my wonderful dear friend. Please stay safe and well. We have dates to look forward to and conversation and bling to enjoy together. ❤

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Completely agree! I live in Scotland and am utterly shocked by the number of colleagues and friends who are now just jetting off all round Europe, including to some places where they know they’ll have to isolate for 2 weeks on return! Madness. Why is everyone so entitled these days?

I completely agree. And you guys are doing better than England at controlling the R rate. So if people don't abide by self-isolation, you'll be right back up there with us.

I've been beyond shocked this past week at the number of times I've been in a shop and been basically the only person wearing a mask. It seems like if the business doesn't insist on it, people are just ignoring. It's completely infuriating and frustrating.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
We've gone to phase II opening. We're hardly ready but hey....

I'm working to convince my husband to not go to a conference right now. And its not like he doesn't know better but he thinks there's enough in place to prevent or minimize transmission. This is a science conference y'all...why they're doing this is another story but...yeah....

I told him if he gets sick he's on his own because I can't visit him in the hospital.
I told showed him the story in Maine where the little itty bitty wedding sickened near 150 people and killed 3.

And I told him he can't come back here until he gets a Covid test done thats negative. That is NOT negotiable.

Because I don't know if I got vaccine or placebo, I still have to be safe about it.

This might be a stupid question - I read at some point that part of trials is that at least some portion of the vaccine volunteers need to expose themselves to potential infection in order for them to judge efficacy. Does that come into play in what you're doing? I'm still in awe of that, by the way.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Snowdrop13

to answer original thread question...

Yes, we are scared.

We reside in california. Its a mixed bag of people not taking it seriously and those of us that do. We still do not leave the house unless it is an important grocery store run. While out we wear our n99 mask at all times, we wear disposable gloves and eye protection. We launder all clothes that have been worn outside on these short marketplace errands. Closed toe footwear worn out gets quarantined for 7 days. We still wipe down and rinse produce and ALL grocery store items with a castille soap water solution. While out, we carry with us a bag containing hand sanitizer, anti viral wipes and extra disposable gloves. Even though california has relaxed a bit, our household has not.

We have not gotten take out since march. At the grocery store, there are certain bakery goods in cases and baskets; such as breads, croissants, cakes, pies, cookies that hubby refuses to purchase because they cannot be treated with the soap water solution or heated.

We personally, do not know of anyone infected with covid. But believe that it is a real global health crisis of "plague" severity.

Husband is an engineer of the ai and ml variety. He has worked from home since march. He will not return to work at his office until mid year 2021, at the very least.

The economic & financial hit the world over has taken and will continue to take is grave.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might be a stupid question - I read at some point that part of trials is that at least some portion of the vaccine volunteers need to expose themselves to potential infection in order for them to judge efficacy. Does that come into play in what you're doing? I'm still in awe of that, by the way.

They never asked us to do that, but I also don't know if that's coming, what I read lead me to believe they won't ask for us to do it. I do know that they'll test for antibodies between each shot to see what you do/don't have. I don't know if they will tell you (probably not considering) But, I will say that being where I live I get exposed probably daily. The farm stand I frequent had to shut down because 4 people who work there had it (that was last week...I was also there last week!)

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
They never asked us to do that, but I also don't know if that's coming, what I read lead me to believe they won't ask for us to do it. I do know that they'll test for antibodies between each shot to see what you do/don't have. I don't know if they will tell you (probably not considering) But, I will say that being where I live I get exposed probably daily. The farm stand I frequent had to shut down because 4 people who work there had it (that was last week...I was also there last week!)

Thanks for your answer. It's so interesting to hear about how they're approaching this. Did they check your antibodies before giving you the vaccine (or placebo)?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your answer. It's so interesting to hear about how they're approaching this. Did they check your antibodies before giving you the vaccine (or placebo)?

Yes, 6 tubes of blood for various tests. I asked my coordinator if they had to let people go for being positive and he said yes but only went as far to say is that they can only disqualify on past or active covid prior to getting the shots. So I don't know if they would disqualify someone who got covid after the fact, I certainly will when I go in next time!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting article that appeared inThe Telegraph, I’ve had to screenshot it because it’s a subscription service.

AC39B548-7590-48E9-B30E-4F51DCC9012F.jpeg B9CF13CE-AA3B-4642-91F4-9B3B89FAAA7D.png F7073935-24F1-4F98-BF10-D9E21705DFE9.jpeg E2787C94-2EEA-4924-B431-D217505BD059.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting article that appeared inThe Telegraph, I’ve had to screenshot it because it’s a subscription service.

AC39B548-7590-48E9-B30E-4F51DCC9012F.jpeg B9CF13CE-AA3B-4642-91F4-9B3B89FAAA7D.png F7073935-24F1-4F98-BF10-D9E21705DFE9.jpeg E2787C94-2EEA-4924-B431-D217505BD059.jpeg

Wow, thank you for sharing @Austina! That is super wonderful news and I am hopeful! And it makes sense too. So hopefully it is accurate and correct and will be repeatable upon further evaluation and testing. Thank you for giving us hope and for making this morning just a little brighter. XOXO.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If and when an effective vaccine is available, I wonder if it would become a requirement to have it and be able to prove one has had it, before one can travel to certain countries.

For example, to upload one's certificate of vaccination as part of the ESTA and eTA application for US and Canada.

That would certainly upset the anti-vaxxers!

I would queue to have the vaccine when it is available, even if it means having to self-isolate for a few days afterwards! Not just for travelling purposes, it is also for a peace of mind as I am classified as "vulnerable" due to an existing medical condition.

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let’s hope it does pan out @missy. Even if it doesn’t, the wearing of face masks should help lessen the inevitable flu season.

I’ve got a feeling that having the vaccine and having proof of vaccination will be required for travelling purposes @dk168, especially for international travel and cruising when lots of people are in close proximity for extended periods of time.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Austina, Thank you for posting. I’d not even thought about needing the vaccine for travel but it makes sense. My husband had to get all sorts of vaccines when he was traveling for business.

Will you feel safe getting the vaccine as soon as it becomes available?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@Austina Thanks for that post!

I cannot wait for a vaccine!

I live in a smaller town in Virginia that has a sizable college. At the end of August 22,000 kids just came back for school to our town of 55,000. Two weeks later 1,200 of them have tested positive for C-19. The school has turned away the kids who want to test unless they are feeling sick. So the kids are going to the emergicare walk-in type places and reporting through their health departments back home.

I was helping someone look for a lost dog and drove around student housing. Dumpsters overloaded with beer boxes, students milling around and maybe 10% had on a mask. They moved school to online, but the kids are pretty much staying in town.

It did NOT have to be like this. Now my community will certainly see fall-out.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly it’s the same here @moneymeister, I hate to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but I don’t think a lot of young people are taking it seriously. We’ve had a big spike in new infections, mainly in the young. I’m not sure if they think because we’ve had an easing of restrictions that it’s all over, but it very obviously isn’t. We rarely see young people wearing masks, I’m pretty sure that because we’re back to groups of no more than 6 from tomorrow, that a house behind us had a big party on Friday night. The small children here have been back at school for a couple of weeks, and I’ve not heard anything from our neighbours that there’s any issue in their age group. Interestingly so far, despite the huge rise in new infections, there doesn’t seem to have been any major upswing in hospitalisations -yet! Let’s hope it stays that way. There’s talk of more lockdowns for the most vulnerable and curfews in pubs and clubs. If only people listened, it’s not that hard to wear a mask and socially distance.

@Calliecake, I’m not an anti vaxer, but I would want to be sure that the vaccine is both safe and reliable before having it. Ultimately, because of our situation, we may not have a choice when we have it, if it’s a requirement then we’ll have to have it.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results