color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

scouty

Brilliant_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I sadly chuckle at this! I have a ton of emails about this very thing that I have to answer by people who should KNOW better.... (a huge part of my job at one time was ADA based, and its amazing how much people don't understand the laws as written)

If you (general you) are willing to LIE to get out of wearing a face mask for about 15-30 minutes while you're in a grocery store to help protect others , you're an *******. Stay at home then.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is devastating. I had been periodically following Nick Cordero's story, hoping he could leave the hospital and be with his wife and baby. His son is only 1 year old.

I'm very sad for his wife who had to suffer through this, and his child who will not even remember his father.

I honestly hopes this story scares the bejesus out of the idiots. Here's a man who was healthy without any comorbidities, who still got the virus and suffered for a very long time. While none of us get out of this life alive, no one should have to suffer that way. If it scares people into wearing a mask and being responsible for not only themselves but their fellow man, good. His story should not be forgotten.

Miami is now rolling back restaurant openings...
I expect we will end up doing the same.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miami is now rolling back restaurant openings...
I expect we will end up doing the same.
[/QUOTE]

^I hope we do same here, it's gotten insane and so many tourists here

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here's some pretty interesting stuff about the amount of ICU beds in Florida that are open by county. Some hospitals can convert easily to ICU if they need to, and they may have to, who knows.

I made the link smaller, it was giant.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What's on my mind today. How every state is talking about opening up bars like our lives depend on it, while I've heard ZIP about what the hell is the plan for beginning of the school year in less than 2 months! Talk about messed up priorities! Us grown ups should suck it up and drink at home like we've been doing for the past 4 months so we can figure out a way to give our children proper education. SMH...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's on my mind today. How every state is talking about opening up bars like our lives depend on it, while I've heard ZIP about what the hell is the plan for beginning of the school year in less than 2 months! Talk about messed up priorities! Us grown ups should suck it up and drink at home like we've been doing for the past 4 months so we can figure out a way to give our children proper education. SMH...

I saw this yesterday

So there's talk about opening schools. The teachers in my neighborhood are like no freaking way! One of the ones I see on my daily morning walk, she said the summer school sessions she usually has were not there (really should have been!) And she's not looking forward to going back into a physical classroom considering our numbers. School here is supposed to start August 10 depending on where you are.

I agree with you. For many its cheaper to drink at home. Maybe some are missing the company.

The unfortunate unintended consequences of closed bars and restaurants and even schools is that there's more DV (the numbers or scary) I wanted to make a separate thread about it because its such a needed topic to discuss but also, its super triggering for some (which is why I didn't)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this yesterday

So there's talk about opening schools. The teachers in my neighborhood are like no freaking way! One of the ones I see on my daily morning walk, she said the summer school sessions she usually has were not there (really should have been!) And she's not looking forward to going back into a physical classroom considering our numbers. School here is supposed to start August 10 depending on where you are.

I agree with you. For many its cheaper to drink at home. Maybe some are missing the company.

The unfortunate unintended consequences of closed bars and restaurants and even schools is that there's more DV (the numbers or scary) I wanted to make a separate thread about it because its such a needed topic to discuss but also, its super triggering for some (which is why I didn't)

You are correct, I work on a military base and our DV numbers have definitely jumped since this started, so sad.

voce

Ideal_Rock

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
here's some pretty interesting stuff about the amount of ICU beds in Florida that are open by county. Some hospitals can convert easily to ICU if they need to, and they may have to, who knows.

I made the link smaller, it was giant.

The link isn’t working for me. But “easily” is an interesting word. The equipment, nurse staffing levels, physician numbers/specialties make it anything BUT easy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The link isn’t working for me. But “easily” is an interesting word. The equipment, nurse staffing levels, physician numbers/specialties make it anything BUT easy.

What I mean by easily is that they have an SOP in place to make the conversion. I know one nearest me already did theirs in April. I'm in a hard hit county if that helps.

thats the actual link, which is apparently flaky I called myself making it smaller...lol

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we have an outbreak in Victoria which means our media has taken a break on reporting about other countries.

I'm super curious as to what is going on everywhere else especially in the US. I see a vague article every now and then about the US numbers going up.

What is the current situation now? Can you put this thing in the box if everyone goes into lockdown for another few weeks or is it rampant now?

Have things opened up? Opened up but closed again?

Are the numbers reducing to a point where you can see it ending (albeit slowly) or after they still climbing?

I'm really curious what everyday life is like for you guys.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl, here it really depends on the state. We are in one of the states that had the first cases and we are next door to New York so we are just starting to get back to some degree of normal.

Almost everything is open apart from bars and large gatherings like concerts and sports events. Day to day life is much the same as before, have to wear a mask indoors, there are limits to how many can be in a store, restaurants have tables staggered for social distance.

Schools will be reopening in late August back to full days and on a regular schedule but again masks and social distance. People are venturing out more, more traffic, it's apparent that folks are enjoying the summer despite the hot temps.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada thanks for that! Are your internal borders closed?

So say I'm from an infected state and I'm coughing but I decide to drive up so I can go to a restaurant in your state (because I'm a d@ckhead), will they send me home? Fine me etc

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada thanks for that! Are your internal borders closed?

So say I'm from an infected state and I'm coughing but I decide to drive up so I can go to a restaurant in your state (because I'm a d@ckhead), will they send me home? Fine me etc

We don't have closed borders but our state has a "travel advisory" with a list of states experiencing high COVID activity. People traveling in from those states do need to quarantine for 14 days. Not sure how your example would work, maybe they would contact a health authority and possibly find you for not following the quarantine requirement. I imagine a lot of people slip through the cracks.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we have an outbreak in Victoria which means our media has taken a break on reporting about other countries.

I'm super curious as to what is going on everywhere else especially in the US. I see a vague article every now and then about the US numbers going up.

What is the current situation now? Can you put this thing in the box if everyone goes into lockdown for another few weeks or is it rampant now?

Are the numbers reducing to a point where you can see it ending (albeit slowly) or after they still climbing?

So far things continue to be business as usual in NJ (Jersey Shore) and as far as I know it NYC. Malls have opened up, outdoor dining continues and while masks are now being required to wear outdoors when one cannot social distance people are out and about and enjoying the beach and the shops and outdoor eating. But as I understand it our numbers are rising so not sure what this will look like next month or even next week. I keep waiting for the rebound and I am concerned it will be worse than the first wave.

So numbers are climbing here again and only time will tell what will happen.

Update as of July 8, 2020.

NY update. Basically Cuomo wants out of state people to stay away.
Since the virus is increasing in many other places it will start increasing in NY because people always want to and do travel here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

California is under water. Many counties have rolled back the reopening. Bars, sit in restaurants, zoos, museums, etc are all required to close.

Our case rate is up but ever since Trump has asked people to slow down testing, our testing sites miraculously started running out of supplies. Some testing sites have closed down completely because of this...during a time when we have had the highest numbers ever.

There is no end in sight right now. Cases are still rising. Los Angeles is the epicenter for the nation right now.

Fauci has said that states who have high numbers should consider shutting down again.

My best friend is an ICU nurse in Texas, she won’t allow her kids to go anywhere after seeing what the disease does to people.

My husband’s doctor freaked out when we told him we wen’t camping. He said the case rate is exploding right now and to stay home. My husband has a preexisting condition.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire I believe if you and your other half are exclusively having sex in your bubble, it’s low risk. Stay in your bubble!! :lol:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this article is very right, and I wanted to share it.

This is pretty normal for science though. to be honest. Some long standing famous results even fall under this banner -- such as Hawking radiation first discovered by 2 russians who actually invited Stephen Hawking to russia and shared the results with him. Admittedly the story is probably more complex than that (but its widely recognized and even acknowledged by Hawking that this is what happened).

On the flip side of things, Hardy, Littlewood and Ramanujan is one of the most famous stories of 20th century mathematics. Hardy read Rananujan's illegible chicken scribble when no one else would, and offered to host him at cambridge. This began a collaboration that is widely believed to have reshaped 20th century mathematics. Ofcourse ramanujan died from consumption as the english climate didn't agree with him, Littlewood got forced to unwillingly serve as chief tactical/technical advisor to the british military during the world wars, and Hardy became so unhappy with the situation/violence that he repeatedly tried to commit suicide. His book from this period of his life -- a mathematicains' appolgy -- is a very good read. But they are considered some of the greatest mathematicians of the last century, and their collaboration is more or less legendary.

Today its well recognized that acceptance rates change dramatically once review becomes double blind. While several journals like most of the nature serries offer double blind review you never chose it in reality (as it is well documented now that dropping the authors names off the paper means much much higher rates of rejection). We rely on our names to publish.

I am actually curious though. To review something properly takes arround 1 day. It's not an official responsibility of my job, so more or less saying 'yes I'll take it on' means voluntarily spending all Saturday doing it. I am currently supposed to be on vacation leave but I said yes last night to spending one day of my vacation to peer review something. How willing would you be to take on work you are not paid for in any way, which you get no recognition for doing (its necessarily blind), for someone who you've never heard of before to get a shot at advancing their career (by publishing in a high impact journal) on your vacation leave? You'll get nothing personally out of doing this work, it is roughly comparable to any other day's work at your desk job. (Actually since their is a healthy level of competition for funding with many people applying to large grant councils like epsrc; where acceptance rates are as low as 2 % most years. You could end up marginally hurting your own career by advancing someone elses.) If the answer is 'no way in Hell' am I working for free through my vacation leave on something I will get no credit with my job (or in any other way professionally) to advance the career of someone I do not know. Then you have your answer about why science post selects for papers written only by relatively established (internationally renown) groups .... :).

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results