shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is impossible but try not to think the worst. My mum had to go to hospital last week for a check-up after an operation she (thankfully) had just before the world turned to s**t. I was desperately worried - she’s immune compromised and self-isolated as soon the first case hit the UK, so it seemed ridiculous to walk into a hospital but was absolutely necessary. She said the hospital was set up as safely as possible. They’d resited where she had to go and re-routed entrances to keep non-Covid patients clear of others. And it was much emptier than she was expecting as most routine appointments are cancelled, so social distancing was manageable. Do you have any doctor friends who could tell you which hospital has the best set up to keep you clear of others, as non-Covid cases?

Thanks @lissyflo. None of our doctor friends practice in the city so we really don't have any guidance. We do know the peak of Covid 19 is coming and it is getting worse here each day. Hospitals are at max capacity. So right now just waiting to see how Greg fares at home. If the pain becomes unbearable I guess we will head to whatever hospital we can get to. I am fairly certain there is no safe hospital in NYC right now.

I am glad our mom is A OK. How scary that must have been and what a relief she is safe and sound now.
Thanks for your comfort and support. I appreciate that.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @lissyflo. None of our doctor friends practice in the city so we really don't have any guidance. We do know the peak of Covid 19 is coming and it is getting worse here each day. Hospitals are at max capacity. So right now just waiting to see how Greg fares at home. If the pain becomes unbearable I guess we will head to whatever hospital we can get to. I am fairly certain there is no safe hospital in NYC right now.

I am glad our mom is A OK. How scary that must have been and what a relief she is safe and sound now.
Thanks for your comfort and support. I appreciate that.

He will be ok to go to the hospital. Secure any kind of mask you can for him. Doctors are treating people with covid around the clock and avoiding infection by being vigilant about hand washing and no facial touching. If he avoids close contact with anyone in the hospital who is coughing or sneezing he will be very low risk for infection. Any surface he touches he should use hand sanitizer and wash his hands. A mask will remind him not to touch his face. If he follows those safeguards he will be very in control and safe! Kidney stones are a nightmare I’m so sorry.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He will be ok to go to the hospital. Secure any kind of mask you can for him. Doctors are treating people with covid around the clock and avoiding infection by being vigilant about hand washing and no facial touching. If he avoids close contact with anyone in the hospital who is coughing or sneezing he will be very low risk for infection. Any surface he touches he should use hand sanitizer and wash his hands. A mask will remind him not to touch his face. If he follows those safeguards he will be very in control and safe! Kidney stones are a nightmare I’m so sorry.

Thanks @OreoRosies86. It is a war zone in NYC. I cannot begin to tell you the horror here inside the hospitals. Unlike anywhere in the USA. I do not feel secure but if we must head to the hospital we must and we will take the best precautions we can. We do not have an N95 mask nor do I think if Greg is in the throes of severe pain and vomiting he will be able to keep a mask on...unfortunately we have been down this road before and it just isn't possible to keep a mask on when the pain is so severe he is vomiting from it. Sorry I don't mean to be a downer and I do appreciate your advice and support. Thank you so much.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A new (not new per se but recurring) development. My DH had kidney stone pain last night overnight for a few hours. In December that resulted in us rushing to the ER and having him admitted for surgery Christmas Eve. So do not want to have to return to the hospital for another round. One of his stones is 12 mm. Yup. Talk about worry. I am super concerned because that huge stone is going nowhere and he was supposed to have a lithotripsy but then Covid 19 happened. So if we have to go to the hospital we are in trouble. If his kidney stone starts moving we are in trouble. We live in the epicenter of Covid 19.
I am officially scared right now.

Oh @missy...I hope that you don’t have to go to the hospital with Greg..If
you do..they probably have a separate
area to use for well patients. My mom has a friend that lives in Baldwin on the island. Her three children are having surgery near there for different reasons. Can you go to a hospital on Long Island? Maybe your doctor can refer you...Fingers and toes crossed the stone settled down..xxxxooo

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy...I hope that you don’t have to go to the hospital with Greg..If
you do..they probably have a separate
area to use for well patients. My mom has a friend that lives in Baldwin on the island. Her three children are having surgery near there for different reasons. Can you go to a hospital on Long Island? Maybe your doctor can refer you...Fingers and Toes crossed the stone settled down..xxxxooo

Thanks Joanne, no we would stay in NYC. If it is an emergency we will probably head to the closest hospital here which is in Brooklyn. However Brooklyn has a shortage of doctors/nurses and hospitals so really unclear as to what the situation is. But I clearly remember this past December when I rushed Greg to the nearest hospital at the shore at 3AM. I drove without seeing clearly (pitch black roads not lit and I am not an experienced night driver) and it was scary. This is much worse of course given Covid 19 which is in high numbers here. All this to say if Greg is in a pain emergency situation where he is vomiting etc as he was this past December we are going to have to get him to the closest hospital and hope for the best.

Right now he is stable and we aren't going anywhere. Praying that damn stone remains still and quiet. Please :pray::pray::pray:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy-

I just came into the middle of the discussion of Greg's prblem and had to go back to see what was causing the symptoms. From what I have read in our local on-line newspapers both Greenwich Hospial and Stamford Hospital here in Fairfield County are not (yet) overflowing with patients. I know you drive to the Jersey shore, so that you don't mind a short drive. But Governor Cuomo said Long Island was "on fire" with coronavirus cases. Could you drive here to have him seen in an ER? From what I have seen on television he may have to wait 12-24 hours to be seen in a New York hospital.I assume that includes Brooklyn. I was wondering if people (since he is non-covid-19) are allowed to directly to The Comfort or if they must be pre-screened somewhere. If he didn't have to be in line with covid-19 patients it would cut down on his waiting time. Patients waiting for The Comfort would be far fewer in number than at other New York City hospitals..

Good luck.

Hugs,
Deb

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy-

I just came into the middle of the discussion of Greg's prblem and had to go back to see what was causing the symptoms. From what I have read in our local on-line newspapers both Greenwich Hospial and Stamford Hospital here in Fairfield County are not (yet) overflowing with patients. I know you drive to the Jersey shore. Could you drive here to have him seen in an ER? From what I have seen on television he may have to wait 12-24 hours to be seen in a New York hospital. I was wondering if people (since he is non-covid-19) are allowed to directly to The Comfort or if they must be pre-screened somewhere. If he didn't have to be in line with covid-19 patients it would cut down on his waiting time. Patients waiting for The Comfort would be far fewer in number.

Good luck.

Hugs,
Deb

I read The Comfort has a patient that has Covid-19. Evidently they weren’t tested before being allowed on the ship. If that’s the case that’s horrible. They would have to disinfect the ship after removing the patient that has Covid-19.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Sending ((Hugs)) and healing dust Greg’s way! I hope his pain is gone for now and that any procedure/visit can wait. If not, I do think that they have separate areas for ‘regular’ emergencies. Also, I think the hospitals up by me aren’t as flooded yet, but I see the need to rush him to the closest one if necessary.

Yes @Mamabean The Comfort was reported to have a few Covid cases accidentally admitted. The Javits Center is now slated for Covid cases as opposed to before....

On another note, driving home from Brooklyn yesterday, we saw a caravan (more than I could count) of ambulances heading into Manhattan from states far and wide. Warmed my heart while scaring the crap out of me at the same time.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask what maybe a bizarre question? I wrote and rewrote this a few times because I don't know if this sounds completely loony.

Our current situation is not too bad, we are safe at home, we have plenty to eat for now and have space for our kids to play so we are not cooped up. My husband and I are working from home and so far (knock on wood) there isn't any immediate threat of getting laid off. So if I don't let my thoughts get away from me or eat my stress away, I honestly feel like we are luckier than others who have it much worse.

But my husband is a type to always worry about the worst case scenario. To me the worst case is if one or both of us gets laid off, or gets infected, leaving no one to care for our 2 young boys. That's terrifying enough for me and I try to take it day by day, and enjoy what we can. But for him, it's riots and looting, where our home is no longer a safe place and we have to pack up and go (to where I wouldn't know?)

Usually I'm able to laugh it off or dismiss his wild ideas, but aren't we already in something straight out of a movie? Anyone else worry about situations getting dangerous to THAT level?

Seriously, DH is the worst person to be quarantined with. ;(

This conversation came up in my home too. I figure people aren’t going to riot and risk getting the virus. Well, unless they are going to riot six feet apart..LOL. That would be weird. No one wants to die. This virus is deadly and everyone knows it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy , I hope this will go away!! I cross all fingers and toes for you guys!!

Mega dust across the ocean!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I hope Greg does ok with supportive care! Sadly all nyc hospitals are battling with covid. Personally I’d probably try for Bellevue as it’s one of 10 hospitals in the country identified as a facility to deal with pandemic pathogens and from what I’ve heard (on good authority) they now have adequate PPE and staffing. Not at all to say it’s safe or low risk, but might be the best of bad options if it’s absolutely necessary? Just my two cents. Hope it’s not needed and you guys can manage from home!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought you all could enjoy this...This is my 94 year old mom sitting in her chair. She’s wearing her gnome socks, cheetah bathrobe, and cat slippers...:lol:
EB3B2228-85C9-464E-837F-BC6665CF8784.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought you all could enjoy this...This is my 94 year old mom sitting in her chair. She has on gnome socks in her cheetah bathrobe and cat slippers...:lol:
EB3B2228-85C9-464E-837F-BC6665CF8784.jpeg

No way! I'm wearing the exact same outfit! :cheeky:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me hand washing some of the breakfast dishes this morning:

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you dear frying pan!
Happy birthday to you!

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you dear spatula!
Happy birthday to you!

:cheeky:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, sorry to hear about Greg's kidney stones. I am hoping he doesn't have to go to the hospital.

Sending truckloads of healing dust you guys' way. And lots of HUGS too.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
@missy praying Greg is not in pain a d doesn't have to go to hospital. I've read good things about lots of water and especially lemon water may help. The lemon water might cause it to break up which I'm not sure is good or not? Maybe you can do a phone consult with his doctor? Sending you big hug and love sweet friend. He will be ok and so will you.
@Mamabean love your moms outfit! She is stylish in her comfy clothes!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @MakingTheGrade @AGBF @Slick1 @Mamabean @Phoenix @bling_dream19 @kipari @OreoRosies86, I really appreciate your advice and comfort.

Greg is taking his Oxy (thank goodness for leftover meds from his knee replacement surgery in January) and the plan for now is to wait til tomorrow and try getting in contact with his urologist who is in NJ. I know the ER is the worst place to be right this minute. They are saying it all over the news. But if we have to go we will just have to go. Praying the pain remains manageable and that his urologist will have a reasonable plan of action tomorrow.

@MakingTheGrade thanks for the info.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean your mom is quite stylish. Loving that outfit and weirdly enough, like @Dee*Jay I am wearing the same exact get up.
We old broads got to stick together .:lol:

@Dee*Jay Happy Birthday! I was only kidding about old broads. You're a youngster.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy - I wish I could give you some encouraging words. K and I are thinking of you and Greg.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @MakingTheGrade @AGBF @Slick1 @Mamabean @Phoenix @bling_dream19 @kipari @OreoRosies86, I really appreciate your advice and comfort.

Greg is taking his Oxy (thank goodness for leftover meds from his knee replacement surgery in January) and the plan for now is to wait til tomorrow and try getting in contact with his urologist who is in NJ. I know the ER is the worst place to be right this minute. They are saying it all over the news. But if we have to go we will just have to go. Praying the pain remains manageable and that his urologist will have a reasonable plan of action tomorrow.

@MakingTheGrade thanks for the info.

Missy, does Greg’s urologist have an after hours care line? For the level of pain you are describing, I would call him ASAP for a plan of action. I’m sorry this is happening and hoping he feels better soon.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hubby and I were having the same conversation yesterday, but I’m the worrier and he’s laissez-faire. I don’t think there’ll be riots in the streets short-term, but I do think we’ll be in for a lot more social unrest, burglaries, etc moving forwards due to the global recession/depression we’ll be in. No way round it, I don’t think. God, I’m a ray of sunshine aren’t I?..
No, I think you're being realistic to expect social unrest, especially once we start to get on the other side of the immediate threat of the virus. I would expect it won't be all happy hugging and socializing, as some people will be dealing with the aftermath of the virus.

This conversation came up in my home too. I figure people aren’t going to riot and risk getting the virus. Well, unless they are going to riot six feet apart..LOL. That would be weird. No one wants to die. This virus is deadly and everyone knows it.
Haha House Cat, that logic actually made me feel better slightly.

But really, just the fact that the topic came up in other households makes me feel a little better that I'm not dealing with a completely unreasonable DH. For other things though... I'm afraid there's no hope. SMH...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, does Greg’s urologist have an after hours care line? For the level of pain you are describing, I would call him ASAP for a plan of action. I’m sorry this is happening and hoping he feels better soon.

Thank you @Poodles4me and @LightBright.

@LightBright my dh is stubborn and he doesn't want to "bother" the urologist on Sunday. Insert my eye roll here in the most respectful manner of course. I cannot force him nor do I want to stress him more by insisting and believe me I tried. SMH. But if the pain remains controlled by the Oxy and we don't have to rush to the ER Greg is going to contact him tomorrow AM. This urologist is hard to get in touch with under the best of circumstances which is why I wanted to try getting in touch with him today but I will allow Greg to take the reins on this but yeah I would handle it differently. I appreciate your input.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy I pray your husband can get it resolved without too much risk for both of you. Hopefully your doctor will have some solutions, I mean they are all managing other emergencies through this madness so maybe he has a protocol.

It's tough being sick or injured during this, it makes a stressful situation so much more stressful...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I think you're being realistic to expect social unrest, especially once we start to get on the other side of the immediate threat of the virus. I would expect it won't be all happy hugging and socializing, as some people will be dealing with the aftermath of the virus.

Haha House Cat, that logic actually made me feel better slightly.

But really, just the fact that the topic came up in other households makes me feel a little better that I'm not dealing with a completely unreasonable DH. For other things though... I'm afraid there's no hope. SMH...

I bought this up yesterday with my family but we all feel it is very unlikely for this to happen. But as I wrote above nothing is guaranteed but I am hopeful there will not be rioting in the streets. Fingers crossed. Because as bad as it is now it can always get worse. But hoping for the best. Always.
@missy I pray your husband can get it resolved without too much risk for both of you. Hopefully your doctor will have some solutions, I mean they are all managing other emergencies through this madness so maybe he has a protocol.

It's tough being sick or injured during this, it makes a stressful situation so much more stressful...

Thank you @Babyblue033.
What scared me even more was listening to a physician on the news stating if you go to the ER you have a 100% chance of getting Covid 19. :(

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask what maybe a bizarre question? I wrote and rewrote this a few times because I don't know if this sounds completely loony.

Our current situation is not too bad, we are safe at home, we have plenty to eat for now and have space for our kids to play so we are not cooped up. My husband and I are working from home and so far (knock on wood) there isn't any immediate threat of getting laid off. So if I don't let my thoughts get away from me or eat my stress away, I honestly feel like we are luckier than others who have it much worse.

But my husband is a type to always worry about the worst case scenario. To me the worst case is if one or both of us gets laid off, or gets infected, leaving no one to care for our 2 young boys. That's terrifying enough for me and I try to take it day by day, and enjoy what we can. But for him, it's riots and looting, where our home is no longer a safe place and we have to pack up and go (to where I wouldn't know?)

Usually I'm able to laugh it off or dismiss his wild ideas, but aren't we already in something straight out of a movie? Anyone else worry about situations getting dangerous to THAT level?

Seriously, DH is the worst person to be quarantined with. ;(

I think its possible, but so far it looks like home B&Es have dropped dramatically (at least where I live), but business B&Es are on the upswing. So personally, I'm not worried about home break-ins, because thieves will go for the easy targets - a closed business is much more attractive than a home, in a neighbourhood, with every single resident there. I feel like we'd have to be in pretty dire times for thieves to start targetting families.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean your mom is quite stylish. Loving that outfit and weirdly enough, like @Dee*Jay I am wearing the same exact get up.
We old broads got to stick together .:lol:

@Dee*Jay Happy Birthday! I was only kidding about old broads. You're a youngster.

Haha @missy! I will tell her you think she’s stylish..She will love that!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha @missy! I will tell her you think she’s stylish..She will love that!

I do! Please tell her and also tell her I think her daughter is the most wonderful and kind and generous and warm loving person. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy it’s definitely not the case that’d you’re 100% going to get covid if you go to an ER. It’s definitely much more likely than if you stay home but certainly not 100%.

Thank you @MakingTheGrade for your reassurance. The physician on the news this afternoon had me almost crying listening to him say if you go to the ER now you will most definitely get Covid 19. 100% chance. It really had me almost in tears.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results