shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"New York and New Jersey governors have ordered unused ventilators and other equipment to be commandeered from medical facilities and redistributed to hospitals treating coronavirus patients, aggressive measures highlighting conditions that are increasingly dire.

The move came as officials from New York began to warn that the health system was nearing its capacity to handle the waves of patients, with possibly just days until it reaches the limits of ventilators and hospital beds. New Jersey, which has the second-highest rate of infections and is tracking New York’s pace, is trying to get ahead of the curve and avoid the dire fate of its neighbor.

New York and its suburbs have the nation’s most intense concentrations of infection and leaders have been vocal for weeks about their need for equipment. Doctors, nurses and paramedics have been entering wards in improvised gear, including garbage bags and rain ponchos. The last-ditch searches for supplies show what may be coming to the rest of America as the disease spreads.

On Friday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced dispiriting data showing more than 10,000 new infections in one day, bringing the total to more than 100,000 New Yorkers. New Jersey neared 30,000 total cases, as Governor Phil Murphy said he had officials “around the world” looking for equipment to purchase.

“I don’t want to get into a situation where we’re running out, you have people dying because there’s no ventilator, but there are hospitals in other parts of state that have ventilators that they’re not using,” Cuomo said. “I’m not going to let people die because we didn’t distribute ventilators.”

Cuomo said he has exhausted all options to get supplies, and believes the federal government doesn’t have enough inventory. Already, the state has begun converting other machines for anesthesia or sleep apnea to ventilators, and reconfiguring existing ventilators so two patients can use one at once.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio similarly said the city’s health system was reaching a point where patients could begin to die because of a lack of equipment and beds.

Coronavirus deaths in New York are approaching 3,000, with Friday’s addition of 562 the worst day so far. New Jersey reported 646 total deaths, up sixfold from a week ago. Combined, the two states comprise half of all Covid-19 cases in the U.S.

In New York City, the public and private hospital system already is overstressed by thousands of patients, many requiring ventilators. The city has at least 7,500 such machines, but needs 15,000, officials have said. They expect 5,000 or more patients surging into hospitals so severely ill with the Covid-19 virus that they need to be intubated and placed on the breathing-assist devices.

“We have enough ventilators just to get to Sunday, Monday,” the mayor said during a Friday morning interview on MSNBC. “We don’t have enough yet for next week.”

Buying Time
Cuomo told reporters in Albany that redistributing ventilators might free several hundred of the devices. With a so-called burn rate in which about 300 new patients require ventilators each day, it could perhaps buy one or a few extra days.

An emergency hospital in New York City’s Jacob K. Javits Convention Center -- which was originally intended to handle overflow of non-coronavirus patients -- will instead be used to exclusively treat virus victims. The move will add 2,500 beds.

Still, the rate of hospitalizations raises questions about how much time that might ultimately buy. More than 1,400 new patients across New York required hospitalization since Thursday.

The number of people hospitalized from Covid-19 reached 14,810 on Friday, with 3,731 ICU patients who need ventilators. One week ago, New York had 6,000 in hospitals and 1,500 in ICU. The apex of the crisis could still be weeks away, officials have said.

“People are going to die in the near term because there’s no bed with a ventilator, because there’s either no bed, or no staff” or no protective equipment such as masks, gowns and gloves, Cuomo said.

Broken Machines
In New Jersey, about 41% of the 3,016 hospitalized coronavirus patients are on ventilators, according to Judith Persichilli, the state health commissioner. The state is building pop-up hospitals to add 1,000 beds.

“It’s going to get worse before it gets better,” Murphy said.

New Jersey requested 2,500 ventilators last week from the federal government, and has received 850. Murphy said he had a “very productive conversation this morning with Kellyanne Conway,” senior adviser to President Donald Trump.

“Whether or not we’re getting what we need is a separate matter,” he said.

Spain Passes Italy; Hungary to Raise Bank Taxes: Virus Update
Trump Acts to Head Off Key Medical Exports, Calls Out 3M Again
Pentagon Stays Cautious on Letting NYC Virus Patients on Ship
France Has Deadliest Virus Day as Infection Rate Slows in Spain

READ MORE FROM PROGNOSIS

The state has spent about $20 million of the $27 million authorized for personal protective equipment by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, according to state police Superintendent Patrick Callahan.

Ventilators from the federal stockpile arrive in sealed, sanitized packages, and they’re not opened until they reach their destination. Fourteen sent to two hospitals had missing parts or were malfunctioning; a half-dozen of those were repaired, Callahan said.

Global Hunt
State officials were looking in Germany, Taiwan and China to buy equipment from private suppliers. Murphy said he has resisted orders “at prices jacked up through the roof” and multiple solicitations to pay $1 million upfront for materials that may not exist.

Murphy said a mask shipment from Japan is expected by mid-April, and Callahan said the typical wait for glove orders is four to six weeks. The state has been conducting inventory of every ventilator, mask and gown, and Murphy this week gave Callahan authority to collect them, though he hasn’t tapped that source yet.

Cuomo is deploying the National Guard to take the equipment from health centers and private companies that aren’t using them. He said there could be several hundred available.

The governor said the order wasn’t a seizure, but rather a “sharing of resources.” He expected his order to survive legal challenge, and said the equipment would eventually be returned or the owner would be reimbursed.

“It’s about doing the right thing,” Cuomo said.

— With assistance by Henry Goldman"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As was mentioned before False Negatives are a problem.

"
As more people are gaining access to COVID-19 tests, doctors say they are encountering a troubling number of “false negatives" — test results that indicate patients aren’t sick, despite clear signs and symptoms of coronavirus infection. This phenomenon of “false negatives” is not new; no medical test is 100 percent accurate, but the stakes here are incredibly high. Some health experts have suggested the number of false-negative coronavirus tests could be up to 30 percent.

Health experts say they now believe nearly one in three patients who are infected are nevertheless getting a negative test result. That picture is troubling, many doctors say, as it casts doubt on the reliability of a wave of new tests developed by manufacturers, lab companies and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The unknown rates of false-negative results could leave patients with unjustified confidence that they can return to business as usual and could show that the nation’s view into the spread of the disease has a blind spot"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I set the rules so that he pretty much self-kicked-out. But he is doing sort of a Mama Bean thing. I think he is planning to sleep outside on my property. (He had originally planned to "be homeless' somewhere in town.) He will not drive my car or come in to use the bathroom. We will see how this works out. He is having his MoPed fixed so that he can take it to go fishing.

I would kick the fiance out since it seems he disrespects you and doesn't take the pandemic seriously. This is the reason I will not allow my son to come to our home until this is over. It has irritated my husband a bit but oh well..... I don't know where he has been or if he is carrying the virus without knowing he has it. I haven't taken good measures for this amount of time to have some dumb...as.... come it and infect me regardless. Sorry you're dealing with this.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"
As more people are gaining access to COVID-19 tests, doctors say they are encountering a troubling number of “false negatives" — test results that indicate patients aren’t sick, despite clear signs and symptoms of coronavirus infection. This phenomenon of “false negatives” is not new; no medical test is 100 percent accurate, but the stakes here are incredibly high. Some health experts have suggested the number of false-negative coronavirus tests could be up to 30 percent.

Health experts say they now believe nearly one in three patients who are infected are nevertheless getting a negative test result. That picture is troubling, many doctors say, as it casts doubt on the reliability of a wave of new tests developed by manufacturers, lab companies and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The unknown rates of false-negative results could leave patients with unjustified confidence that they can return to business as usual and could show that the nation’s view into the spread of the disease has a blind spot"

Very concerning indeed. Apparently the 16 y/O who died was tested three times, the first two tests being false negatives.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing this @House Cat very sobering. I appreciate what he wrote. I just wish that going forward we are all better prepared as a world and as a country because the USA imo is doing an abysmal job and started too late with too little. Moving forward I hope people will take social distancing seriously. All people. Because the life they save just might be their loved ones.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very concerning indeed. Apparently the 16 y/O who died was tested three times, the first two tests being false negatives.

Horrible. Unspeakable tragedy. One that could have been prevented and we must learn from this. I pray we do because this won’t be the last pandemic.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In France they have taken respirators from veterinary clinics as well. They aren't used much and it seems the basic model is Identical to the human version. Adapting the rest is apparently no problem. Has your sister heard about this @missy ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In France they have taken respirators from veterinary clinics as well. They aren't used much and it seems the basic model is Identical to the human version. Adapting the rest is apparently no problem. Has your sister heard about this @missy ?

I will ask her. She is utterly exhausted. She working more than full time as one of their colleagues who is healthy and 30years old decided she is too scared to work. And my sister is slammed at work. Plus her asthma which is severe makes wearing the (old and used) mask hard. She says it’s so uncomfortable.

This situation is overwhelming and what is terrifying is that people will die who could have been saved if we had enough equipment. Especially health care workers. Every one of them out there brave beyond belief. NYC is just unreal right now. What is happening here. It’s heartbreaking all over but right now the situation is dire. We have run out of critical things our healthcare workers need to stay safe and to help others stay alive. :(

I do know they are using anesthesia machines and converting them to ventilators here. It’s just not enough. We need so many more ventilators in NYC. We have almost run out...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari just called my sister and asked her. She said that 3 weeks ago they sent people around enquiring about their ventilators but at my sister’s practice they do it by hand and they don’t have the machine ventilators. Having said that she said many of them cannot be converted. Only some. I don’t know the details because she’s busy at work (what else is new) but that’s the 411 from her.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
:lol:

It does feel bizzare. It is a tiny village, hardly anyone around.

That still doesn’t explain how I can then walk into a (small enclosure) tobacco store with other people.

Because it's France and they love their cigarettes! Which is kind of ironic with a respiratory virus.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry about the whole situation in NYC and about your sister!
I hope she's OK and she's a wonderful person for being there for her furry patients in times of need ❤.

Sending Paris' city motto to NYC :

fluctuat nec mergitur!

(She is) Rocked by the waves, but doesn't sink!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will ask her. She is utterly exhausted. She working more than full time as one of their colleagues who is healthy and 30years old decided she is too scared to work. And my sister is slammed at work. Plus her asthma which is severe makes wearing the (old and used) mask hard. She says it’s so uncomfortable.

This situation is overwhelming and what is terrifying is that people will die who could have been saved if we had enough equipment. Especially health care workers. Every one of them out there brave beyond belief. NYC is just unreal right now. What is happening here. It’s heartbreaking all over but right now the situation is dire. We have run out of critical things our healthcare workers need to stay safe and to help others stay alive. :(

I do know they are using anesthesia machines and converting them to ventilators here. It’s just not enough. We need so many more ventilators in NYC. We have almost run out...

Does your sister want one of the Decathlon masks? We have one. My 12 y/o son has used it once. I asked our local support group (they're sewing blouses & bonnets for ICU now, that's what the hospital requests... I donated the fabric I had that's suitable, but I can't sew) and they said they don't take any privately donated ones...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd send you a new one if I could, but they are reserved for HCW now and not on the market anymore

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does your sister want one of the Decathlon masks? We have one. My 12 y/o son has used it once. I asked our local support group (they're sewing blouses & bonnets for ICU now, that's what the hospital requests... I donated the fabric I had that's suitable, but I can't sew) and they said they don't take any privately donated ones...

You are so generous. I appreciate that more than I can say. But no I can’t have you putting yourself at risk to mail it. She’ll be ok with what she’s using. Thanks so much though @kipari ❤️❤️❤️

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found what I consider to be a very interesting story by chance. It is about students from a class about refugees and inequality at Haverford College in Pennsylvania (founded by Quakers) which was broken up early due to coronavirus. The students felt equal while in school, but when the virus hit, they were sent back to very different places.

If you like to read human interest stories, you may enjoy this.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank goodness we waited for our own CDC tests instead of using those WHO tests we could have gotten immediately.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are sitting in the back yard visiting. The neighbor that’s been going in and out of her house letting her daughter’s friend come over is hacking up a storm! I’m wondering if it’s safe to sit here..Our yard is higher up than hers..and we’re not close...but it’s a little worrisome...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are sitting in the back yard visiting. The neighbor that’s been going in and out of her house letting her daughter’s friend come over is hacking up a storm! I’m wondering if it’s safe to sit here..Our yard is higher up than hers..and we’re not close...but it’s a little worrisome...

You’re probably just fine but you can always get a gentle fan that blows her direction. Might also send a statement lol.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You’re probably just fine but you can always get a gentle fan that blows her direction. Might also send a statement lol.

Haha!! I found out she’s burning sticks in her barbecue. :roll:The smell and smoke drove us out of our back yard to the front...I smell woodsy now...:lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a long phone call with one of my best friends (the mother of my godson) who is, like me, a social worker. Although she is my age, actually a few months older, she is still working many hours a week at a dialysis center. She has to work on the floor; she cannot work remotely, although she said that the dieticians now are able to. She said she is just grateful that she is not a nurse. She said that everything is always wiped down with bleach in the unit, so that not much has changed in that regard. Except that now she also has to clean her phone and computer. The nurses always had to wear gowns; gloves; and other PPE. My friend, however, did not. On the floor, I believe, she only wore her lab coat. Now she has to wear full PPE at all times she is with other people and she said it is very tiring to keep changing in and out of it with the attendant washing. There have been many new protocols put into place on the unit, temperatures of patients being taken when they come onto and when they leave the floor. Unfortunately, when they exhibit possible symptoms of covid-19 and are tested, test results do not come back for days. (If they are positive they are moved to a special dialysis unit reserved for patients positive with covid-19.)

My friend's life has become much harder, and she has an older husband at home with several health conditions (heart and diabetes) as well as several grandchildren including a newborn. She couldn't say often enough, however, how lucky she was not to be a nurse! (And I have heard stories of the nurses' heroic rescues of patients in the unit before the days of coronavirus!)

God bless the health care workers.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's some irony... because I am absolutely rabid with cleaning stuff I apparently got so much liquid sanitizer on my computer that keypad mouse has stopped working. That meant I had to go to Best Buy and do curbside pick-up to get an external mouse. Delivered to my car by another human, who has been in contact with a zillion other humans. When meant when I got that home I had to sanitize the sh!t out of the new mouse (and my car and myself) before I could even consider using it. And the circle of sanitization continues...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's some irony... because I am absolutely rabid with cleaning stuff I apparently got so much liquid sanitizer on my computer that keypad mouse has stopped working. That meant I had to go to Best Buy and do curbside pick-up to get an external mouse. Delivered to my car by another human, who has been in contact with a zillion other humans. When meant when I got that home I had to sanitize the sh!t out of the new mouse (and my car and myself) before I could even consider using it. And the circle of sanitization continues...

Oh no @Dee*Jay. It is a vicious endless cycle

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can I ask what maybe a bizarre question? I wrote and rewrote this a few times because I don't know if this sounds completely loony.

Our current situation is not too bad, we are safe at home, we have plenty to eat for now and have space for our kids to play so we are not cooped up. My husband and I are working from home and so far (knock on wood) there isn't any immediate threat of getting laid off. So if I don't let my thoughts get away from me or eat my stress away, I honestly feel like we are luckier than others who have it much worse.

But my husband is a type to always worry about the worst case scenario. To me the worst case is if one or both of us gets laid off, or gets infected, leaving no one to care for our 2 young boys. That's terrifying enough for me and I try to take it day by day, and enjoy what we can. But for him, it's riots and looting, where our home is no longer a safe place and we have to pack up and go (to where I wouldn't know?)

Usually I'm able to laugh it off or dismiss his wild ideas, but aren't we already in something straight out of a movie? Anyone else worry about situations getting dangerous to THAT level?

Seriously, DH is the worst person to be quarantined with. ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask what maybe a bizarre question? I wrote and rewrote this a few times because I don't know if this sounds completely loony.

Our current situation is not too bad, we are safe at home, we have plenty to eat for now and have space for our kids to play so we are not cooped up. My husband and I are working from home and so far (knock on wood) there isn't any immediate threat of getting laid off. So if I don't let my thoughts get away from me or eat my stress away, I honestly feel like we are luckier than others who have it much worse.

But my husband is a type to always worry about the worst case scenario. To me the worst case is if one or both of us gets laid off, or gets infected, leaving no one to care for our 2 young boys. That's terrifying enough for me and I try to take it day by day, and enjoy what we can. But for him, it's riots and looting, where our home is no longer a safe place and we have to pack up and go (to where I wouldn't know?)

Usually I'm able to laugh it off or dismiss his wild ideas, but aren't we already in something straight out of a movie? Anyone else worry about situations getting dangerous to THAT level?

I do not think it will get to that level. Of course I cannot guarantee anything but I would say it is very unlikely. Sending you lots of good thoughts and well wishes. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new (not new per se but recurring) development. My DH had kidney stone pain last night overnight for a few hours. In December that resulted in us rushing to the ER and having him admitted for surgery Christmas Eve. So do not want to have to return to the hospital for another round. One of his stones is 12 mm. Yup. Talk about worry. I am super concerned because that huge stone is going nowhere and he was supposed to have a lithotripsy but then Covid 19 happened. So if we have to go to the hospital we are in trouble. If his kidney stone starts moving we are in trouble. We live in the epicenter of Covid 19.
I am officially scared right now.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A new (not new per se but recurring) development. My DH had kidney stone pain last night overnight for a few hours. In December that resulted in us rushing to the ER and having him admitted for surgery Christmas Eve. So do not want to have to return to the hospital for another round. One of his stones is 12 mm. Yup. Talk about worry. I am super concerned because that huge stone is going nowhere and he was supposed to have a lithotripsy but then Covid 19 happened. So if we have to go to the hospital we are in trouble. If his kidney stone starts moving we are in trouble. We live in the epicenter of Covid 19.
I am officially scared right now.

Oh, Missy, I don’t know what to say. Is there anything prophylactic your DH can do to hold things off as long as possible? Hopefully it’s the worry and stress manifesting In a familiar way, rather than actual stone pain? Things in London are bad but we keep hearing on the news that New York is in a truly dreadful position with hospitals. Are there any smaller, out of the way places you could go if absolutely necessary? I’m guessing not as I assume every Medical facility is now frontline?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Missy, I don’t know what to say. Is there anything prophylactic your DH can do to hold things off as long as possible? Hopefully it’s the worry and stress manifesting In a familiar way, rather than actual stone pain? Things in London are bad but we keep hearing on the news that New York is in a truly dreadful position with hospitals. Are there any smaller, out of the way places you could go if absolutely necessary? I’m guessing not as I assume every Medical facility is now frontline?

Yeah I am trying to remain calm. I really don't know what to do. There is no good option. I have never been so worried. It is actual kidney stone pain. Greg knows it far too well. And this stone is big. So no way it is going to pass on its own. As I wrote above he was supposed to get a lithotripsy to break it up but then the pandemic caused it to be postponed.

Thanks @lissyflo I am trying to remain strong for Greg but I am failing because the tears are coming. :(

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hubby and I were having the same conversation yesterday, but I’m the worrier and he’s laissez-faire. I don’t think there’ll be riots in the streets short-term, but I do think we’ll be in for a lot more social unrest, burglaries, etc moving forwards due to the global recession/depression we’ll be in. No way round it, I don’t think. God, I’m a ray of sunshine aren’t I?..

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah I am trying to remain calm. I really don't know what to do. There is no good option. I have never been so worried. It is actual kidney stone pain. Greg knows it far too well. And this stone is big. So no way it is going to pass on its own. As I wrote above he was supposed to get a lithotripsy to break it up but then the pandemic caused it to be postponed.

Thanks @lissyflo I am trying to remain strong for Greg but I am failing because the tears are coming. :(

I know this is impossible but try not to think the worst. My mum had to go to hospital last week for a check-up after an operation she (thankfully) had just before the world turned to s**t. I was desperately worried - she’s immune compromised and self-isolated as soon the first case hit the UK, so it seemed ridiculous to walk into a hospital but was absolutely necessary. She said the hospital was set up as safely as possible. They’d resited where she had to go and re-routed entrances to keep non-Covid patients clear of others. And it was much emptier than she was expecting as most routine appointments are cancelled, so social distancing was manageable. Do you have any doctor friends who could tell you which hospital has the best set up to keep you clear of others, as non-Covid cases?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results