shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also heard that InstantCart employees are going on strike like tomorrow maybe? I'm not saying I blame them, they're front line workers and should be protected.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
The company I work for is laying people off. I'm on holidays right now, but likely won't have a job to return to. Sigh. So long retirement savings...

Trying to stay positive, but it's getting increasingly difficult. On a positive note: I'm alive and well, have a roof over my head and food to eat.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The company I work for is laying people off. I'm on holidays right now, but likely won't have a job to return to. Sigh. So long retirement savings...

Trying to stay positive, but it's getting increasingly difficult. On a positive note: I'm alive and well, have a roof over my head and food to eat.

I"m so sorry @Begonia. Thank goodness you are A OK though and that is the main thing right now. (((Hugs))).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very sorry thats happening to you.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry. I hope we are all through this soon and that your retirement savings aren't impacted too much. It may be unimportant compared to health and all that, but it is okay to be worried over things like that because they do matter to us too. Hang in there!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I"m so sorry @Begonia. Thank goodness you are A OK though and that is the main thing right now. (((Hugs))).

Thanks missy.
Hugs to you too.
Just read you are feeling a little under the weather? How are you doing today??

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry. I hope we are all through this soon and that your retirement savings aren't impacted too much. It may be unimportant compared to health and all that, but it is okay to be worried over things like that because they do matter to us too. Hang in there!

Thanks TooPatient.
Yeah, you're right. So many new realizations every day, hard to keep up!
One day at a time.
Thank you...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Arcadian.
One day at a time?

Hope you have some bright moments today.

Indeed. All will be affected by this thing so we may as well try to find bright spots where we can.

@missy I hope you're feeling better today.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heads up to all who are currently relying on weekly produce delivery. My weekly produce box is being skipped this week with no notice. I'm in line to find out if this is a one time thing or a more long term shift such as alternating weeks to distribute demand.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient, I hope it's just a blip for you. As much as I've complained, we got some good produce today. I do notice that they are plastic shrink wrapping things that weren't like that before. I wonder if your store is going through something like that sort of change?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient, I hope it's just a blip for you. As much as I've complained, we got some good produce today. I do notice that they are plastic shrink wrapping things that weren't like that before. I wonder if your store is going through something like that sort of change?

It showed up with delivery available this week a couple of hours after I posted. Never did get through to support and no email sent to me so I don't know what was going on. 2/3 of the items to select for the box were sold out at this point and quickly rose to more than 3/4 sold out. Things have loosened up some as people adjust their orders, but still very limited supply of fresh produce and certain other items.

Shrink wrapping fresh stuff sounds like a good idea compared to everyone handling it! Someone in my local FB group said she was at the store the other day and a man was not just feeling the tomatoes, but holding them up touching his nose as he smelled them. So many stories like that and so much I have seen myself. Yuck!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve been having a little bit of a challenge feeding my soon to be 35 year old son lunch..(Autism) He’s a big guy and has a large appetite. He was cleaning out my canned chicken and tuna which I have as a backup for fresh..I bought a few bags of 15 bean soup mix..It comes dry in a bag. I chop up carrots, onion, celery..add a can of crushed tomatoes, a cup of rice and lots of garlic powder, salt and pepper. I was using chicken broth but I started getting low. I don’t have many seasonings but I put a teaspoon or two of Parmesan cheese on top when I give it to him. It goes all week for his lunch with a few triscuit crackers. My mom and I even get lunch from it too..I ordered a few more bags from Instacart. I hope they have some because it’s a godsend! This is from one bag and the fresh veggies..
6A911BEF-50B0-46E0-A6A2-DDADF862A7B7.jpeg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been having a little bit of a challenge feeding my soon to be 35 year old son lunch..(Autism) He’s a big guy and has a large appetite. He was cleaning out my canned chicken and tuna which I have as a backup for fresh..I bought a few bags of 15 bean soup mix..It comes dry in a bag. I chop up carrots, onion, celery..add a can of crushed tomatoes, a cup of rice and lots of garlic powder, salt and pepper. I was using chicken broth but I started getting low. I don’t have many seasonings but I put a teaspoon or two of Parmesan cheese on top when I give it to him. It goes all week for his lunch with a few triscuit crackers. My mom and I even get lunch from it too..I ordered a few more bags from Instacart. I hope they have some because it’s a godsend! This is from one bag and the fresh veggies..

Mamabean your soup sounds lovely. I know that 15 bean mix because my mom used to make it for me. It's delicious. I am a big soup person all the time. Last night I made a red lentil soup flavored with cumin (my favorite spice!) that is in my regular rotation. We all enjoy that soup except for my 6 six year old, who put forth good effort anyway. I put the ladle in the dishwasher and my golden retriever (who eats everything) gave it a lick and decided it was not for her. :naughty:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mamabean your soup sounds lovely. I know that 15 bean mix because my mom used to make it for me. It's delicious. I am a big soup person all the time. Last night I made a red lentil soup flavored with cumin (my favorite spice!) that is in my regular rotation. We all enjoy that soup except for my 6 six year old, who put forth good effort anyway. I put the ladle in the dishwasher and my golden retriever (who eats everything) gave it a lick and decided it was not for her. :naughty:

My lab is picky @OdetteOdile...He only likes one flavor of wet food and Swiss cheese..lol He can’t have it except for a breadcrumb size piece. He sits patiently..waiting for me to give him a cheese crumb...They’re so funny!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock

The soup looks delicious!

Have you ever used Better Than Bouillon chicken soup base? It's a good substitute for chicken broth, imo.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The soup looks delicious!

Have you ever used Better Than Bouillon chicken soup base? It's a good substitute for chicken broth, imo.

Thank you..Yes...I have that at my other house. I tried to buy some on Amazon but it was out...My store didn’t have it in Instacart..:(

voce

Ideal_Rock
FYI all you cat owners. If you ever test positive for coronavirus, it's not a good idea to get too cuddly with them. Maybe this also means keeping cats indoors to reduce cat to cat transmission.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That soup meal looks so yummy @Mamabean :lickout:
Almost as yummy as Ashlee...:kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI all you cat owners. If you ever test positive for coronavirus, it's not a good idea to get too cuddly with them. Maybe this also means keeping cats indoors to reduce cat to cat transmission.

And I think there is some evidence we can infect our cats :(
So for that reason alone if we get Covid 19 we need to be careful about touching/infecting our kitties.
And I think all house kitties should be just that anyway. In the house. Too many dangers outside under normal circumstances.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
I think my SO has COVID-19. He got turned away for testing because he doesn’t meet the criteria... despite coming into contact with (now) two confirmed cases in his workplace. Put simply, Australia doesn’t have enough tests.

He doesn’t have a sore throat, no fever, but chest pressure and a pain in his lung when breathing in deeply. He is an otherwise healthy at 27, and very (2 hours per day exercise) active. Also a headache, and general fatigue. Relatively in line with what one of the other people who got tested had.

I hope he’ll be okay. The countdown is on until I get it I guess!

Update: I’m very unsure what he had, and right now, what I had/have. After the above post he got better within the week, same symptoms but no escalation and it went away. Maybe a lung infection?! Without coughing? A day after he was completely fine I THINK I got a cold from somewhere? I haven’t left the house in 12 days!

Started feeling unwell, a bit sneezy, very, very tired. No fever. Felt better after 2 days. That was two days ago, but since then I’m feeling tired again, and like I’ve got a low fever (my temp is around 36.9-37.2) so not quite normal but not a fever. My skin feels hot, but not achy. My throat is not sore but tired. You know when it feels like you’ve shouted and it’s gone rough, a bit hoarse? No cough either... and no runny nose. It’s not the flu, but it’s unlike a cold either as I don’t have many of the symptoms. It’s also not in line with coronavirus. Odd. Any ideas?!
Maybe it’s going mental from being at home for 3 week - I usually gym 2-3 hours a day normally... to this!! Too tired for my home weights too :(

elizat

Ideal_Rock

I think there are a lot of issues with how they tested that cat.

This article better breaks it down.

And here's the thing. Many cats already have been infected with some strain of a coronavirus- it's not a problem for most. A mutuated coronavirus is at the root of FIP, which is not the majority of the cat population. Having fostered FIP cats and lost them, it's heartbreaking, but the percentage is small truly.

So, I think it's something to be mindful of, but not terribly worried about. I would be less concerned about a cat getting Covid 19 and dying, as compared to the mutation that occurs in some cats that leads to FIP from many of the other coronaviruses out there. Just my two cents.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think there are a lot of issues with how they tested that cat.

This article better breaks it down.

And here's the thing. Many cats already have been infected with some strain of a coronavirus- it's not a problem for most. A mutuated coronavirus is at the root of FIP, which is not the majority of the cat population. Having fostered FIP cats and lost them, it's heartbreaking, but the percentage is small truly.

So, I think it's something to be mindful of, but not terribly worried about. I would be less concerned about a cat getting Covid 19 and dying, as compared to the mutation that occurs in some cats that leads to FIP from many of the other coronaviruses out there. Just my two cents.

That Scientific American article essentially says the same thing as the article I posted about the Chinese study. I agree the way they tested the cats did not sound good from an animal rights perspective. There is no evidence that cats infect humans, but the Guardian article also mentioned a Belgian report, where a cat owner had COVID-19, and the cat had respiratory problems the same day, and was subsequently tested to have had COVID-19. You could chalk it up to coincidence since what had happened in Belgium was not a scientific study. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the COVID-19 virus can someday make another jump across the species "barrier" and cause cats to suffer. When it comes to something as quickly evolving as a pandemic virus, I would personally act as cautiously as I can.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That Scientific American article essentially says the same thing as the article I posted about the Chinese study. I agree the way they tested the cats did not sound good from an animal rights perspective. There is no evidence that cats infect humans, but the Guardian article also mentioned a Belgian report, where a cat owner had COVID-19, and the cat had respiratory problems the same day, and was subsequently tested to have had COVID-19. You could chalk it up to coincidence since what had happened in Belgium was not a scientific study. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the COVID-19 virus can someday make another jump across the species "barrier" and cause cats to suffer. When it comes to something as quickly evolving as a pandemic virus, I would personally act as cautiously as I can.

No, I think it can jump, but my point more was that cats are already exposed to coronaviruses and the way the cat body handles a coronavirus is different than a human. A cat may suffer a URI, but the underlying health issues that seem to have a very big problem with covid19 are likely absent in most cats (i.e. cancer treatment, heart disease, etc.), as those are not normal within most cats. I think it's two different population risks.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has been working and he has to go to the office to pickup paperwork a few times a week. This morning he comes back and he found out someone on the third floor was diagnosed, that's his floor. On top of that, the paperwork wasn't even there so he went there and potentially exposed himself for no reason. They did have a cleaning crew come in and disinfect, we have no idea when this person was diagnosed and DH is extremely high risk.

So he came home and threw all his stuff in the washer and took a shower. He is not going back there, they will have to come up with another way to get things to him. He is an essential employee so we will just do the best we can.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH has been working and he has to go to the office to pickup paperwork a few times a week. This morning he comes back and he found out someone on the third floor was diagnosed, that's his floor. On top of that, the paperwork wasn't even there so he went there and potentially exposed himself for no reason. They did have a cleaning crew come in and disinfect, we have no idea when this person was diagnosed and DH is extremely high risk.

So he came home and threw all his stuff in the washer and took a shower. He is not going back there, they will have to come up with another way to get things to him. He is an essential employee so we will just do the best we can.

@StephanieLynn I’m so sorry you guys are now worried he was exposed to it...I’m hoping he will be okay...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results