shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I think nyc parks are packed because we live in tiny apts with no yard and many people have dogs. I have to go out for walks or I feel very lethargic and sick and get panic attacks. We try to take paths with very little people and walk very quickly. The main road through prospect park is crowded with runners, bikes and emergency vehicles but the small paths are okay with very few people. Most of my coworkers have left for their 2nd homes in Long Island, or the Hamptons or upstate, I wish I have that option. It's really depressing and I feel very claustrophobic. If each group of people stay 10 feet away from another group, is that okay? I try to limit going out to stores but have to buy food every 3 days. Only one of us will go when the stores first open. This is so hard. I don't want to get others sick and I don't want to get sick. I don't think I'm high risk but I'm still taking hormone pills for cancer treatment. I think about everything all night, barely sleep and by the morning I have to get out of my apartment. Thankfully today was rainy and not many people were in the park. Just writing this makes me want to run somewhere. Ugh.

I have been thinking about New Yorkers in their apartments a lot. I live in the suburbs and these days my street is so crowded with people out for a walk/walking dogs that it can be hard to stay 6 feet away from each other (it's a very social neighborhood so everyone seems to stand around chatting). I can only imagine in the city how hard it can be to maintain proper spacing. And of course people living in tight quarters are greatly in need of some fresh air and outdoor exercise for their mental wellbeing. And then of course there is less room to store groceries, so you are out much more often buying groceries. I lived in the city for 6 years, and I can't imagine how hard it would be to live there right now. I'm so sorry you are barely sleeping. This is such an anxious time. My heart really goes out to New Yorkers.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let’s just add to the joy. Right now the tornado sirens are going off in my immediate area.

Fun! That is just what all the already stressed out people and busy emergency services need. Stay safe!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dizzyakira and @OdetteOdile I just today brought my DD from Brooklyn to my home in the suburbs. The empty streets and highways feel surreal. I made unbelievable time getting there and back! I do feel for city dwellers, it’s hard to isolate in smaller apartments. I have never seen so many people in my neighborhood during my daily walks.
I think we will all appreciate social gatherings and human interaction when this is over.
The other day my DD was alone at this tourist attraction...(Empire State Building as seen through the Brooklyn Bridge arch)
6AE2811B-74B3-4E5A-A731-3451A01796C9.jpeg

Stay safe @Dee*Jay o_O

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mum who lives in Vancouver with my brother rang to say they too were in lockdown a couple of days ago, and Costco was stripped bare of the most expensive type of rice etc....

So I replied, "Welcome to my world for the past week!" :rolleyes:

She then proceeded to tell me to stock up on dry and tin foods, and what I can do with them. Just found that funny as she cannot cook!

Bless her!

DK :))

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you expand on your thoughts about these two strains?

@AGBF initial reports were that there were two strains, L type and S type. However I then read up on it to avoid spewing disinformation all over the net, and WHO research now indicates that it is a relatively stable virus. While there are a handful of mutations from the original Wuhan infections, the fact that it has passed through potentially millions of hosts without mutating significantly is promising. This means that vaccines or prior infection should provide immunity.

On a totally different not, my partner came up with his first ever joke. I forced him to tell me at least one joke the other day. And he came up with this gem.

-Knock knock
-Who's there?
-World Health Organisation
-World health Organisation who?
-Yes, exactly!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds so scary @Babyblue003 I have been using Instacart because I don’t want to leave the house.

In our area Instacart isn't even going to many stores and where they are going there is a 7 plus day waiting list to get on their delivery schedule. So ordering out isn't an option for many in the NYC area at least...the people here in the area hardest hit cannot even use delivery services so many people must go out to get food to survive.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let’s just add to the joy. Right now the tornado sirens are going off in my immediate area.

I just heard about a Tornado that hit Arkansas last night. Amidst all this uncertainty other tragedies occur :( Hope everyone is safe by you @Dee*Jay

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think nyc parks are packed because we live in tiny apts with no yard and many people have dogs. I have to go out for walks or I feel very lethargic and sick and get panic attacks. We try to take paths with very little people and walk very quickly. The main road through prospect park is crowded with runners, bikes and emergency vehicles but the small paths are okay with very few people. Most of my coworkers have left for their 2nd homes in Long Island, or the Hamptons or upstate, I wish I have that option. It's really depressing and I feel very claustrophobic. If each group of people stay 10 feet away from another group, is that okay? I try to limit going out to stores but have to buy food every 3 days. Only one of us will go when the stores first open. This is so hard. I don't want to get others sick and I don't want to get sick. I don't think I'm high risk but I'm still taking hormone pills for cancer treatment. I think about everything all night, barely sleep and by the morning I have to get out of my apartment. Thankfully today was rainy and not many people were in the park. Just writing this makes me want to run somewhere. Ugh.

It is a challenging situation. You are right. NYC people have it rough because of small apartments no private personal outdoor space and a very dense population in a city where so many travel from all over the world and therefore our infection rate is quite high compared to everyone else.

Much of it is no fault of our own though it seems many are vilifying NYC. Some people need others to blame. But because travelers come here from all over and we are such a dense population- that is why we have so many infected now. But it doesn't matter right now the why. What matters is we get this under better control. TO maximize the lives we can save and decrease the number of deaths.

Do your best dear @dizzyakira. IMO you are at greater risk due to your cancer treatment. Are you wearing a mask (homemade mask is better than no mask) and yes stay as far away as possible from others. Is there any way you can decrease your grocery shopping to once a week vs every 3 days?

Hang in there. Sending bucketloads of good vibes your way. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about New Yorkers in their apartments a lot. I live in the suburbs and these days my street is so crowded with people out for a walk/walking dogs that it can be hard to stay 6 feet away from each other (it's a very social neighborhood so everyone seems to stand around chatting). I can only imagine in the city how hard it can be to maintain proper spacing. And of course people living in tight quarters are greatly in need of some fresh air and outdoor exercise for their mental wellbeing. And then of course there is less room to store groceries, so you are out much more often buying groceries. I lived in the city for 6 years, and I can't imagine how hard it would be to live there right now. I'm so sorry you are barely sleeping. This is such an anxious time. My heart really goes out to New Yorkers.

Thanks @OdetteOdile and sending you well wishes and all the best too. We are all in this together. Everyone from all over the world. And we need to remember that. We are human beings with families/loved ones and we are all connected. This shows us that is true more than ever. Truly we are all in this together and together we can figure it out. Coming up with a vaccine, improving treatments that work, and saving lives. Sharing info and supplies and support and compassion. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Horrible. I understand where the healthcare workers are coming from. Seems like almost no chance at surviving once that point is hit. It also puts them at an increased risk due to the measures taken to save the patient. I also understand that removing that option from patients is a huge hit to every person's right to choose. I also worry about Drs and nurses emotional health as they have to stand by and watch without attempting to save. (Also the emotions associated with the increased exposure if they try!) No good options with this disgusting virus!

No I don't believe this is true. There *is* a chance to save someone at this stage. And ventilators do save lives. And so does resuscitation. Maybe not as many lives as we would like but it does save lives and that (if I am guessing correctly and it is just a guess) number would reach the many thousands when this is said and done. And isn't that worth trying for? Every life is sacred.

We need more protective gear for those on the front lines. That would translate into saving so many lives on both sides. !!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
In our area Instacart isn't even going to many stores and where they are going there is a 7 plus day waiting list to get on their delivery schedule. So ordering out isn't an option for many in the NYC area at least...the people here in the area hardest hit cannot even use delivery services so many people must go out to get food to survive.

That’s so awful @missy..I ordered on Friday morning. I’m supposed to get my order Wednesday...Last time it was delayed so it may happen again..I also don’t get everything on the list. I just take what I can get....so it’s just a matter of time where I won’t be able to either. I would share with you if you lived closer..:(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so awful @missy..I ordered on Friday morning. I’m supposed to get my order Wednesday...Last time it was delayed so it may happen again..I also don’t get everything on the list. I just take what I can get....so it’s just a matter of time where I won’t be able to either. I would share with you if you lived closer..:(

And you know I would gladly share with you sweet Joanne! We are in this together and I would share with anyone in need. In fact if I could still go shopping I would continue shopping for my elderly neighbors despite having to go to the grocery store more often putting myself at more risk. But until I know I am OK I have to put shopping for everyone on hold...

(((Hugs))).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
And you know I would gladly share with you sweet Joanne! We are in this together and I would share with anyone in need. In fact if I could still go shopping I would continue shopping for my elderly neighbors despite having to go to the grocery store more often putting myself at more risk. But until I know I am OK I have to put shopping for everyone on hold...

(((Hugs))).

I hope you are okay @missy..How are you feeling this morning?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don't believe this is true. There *is* a chance to save someone at this stage. And ventilators do save lives. And so does resuscitation. Maybe not as many lives as we would like but it does save lives and that (if I am guessing correctly and it is just a guess) number would reach the many thousands when this is said and done. And isn't that worth trying for? Every life is sacred.

We need more protective gear for those on the front lines. That would translate into saving so many lives on both sides. !!!

I should have been more clear. I'm too tired this week. That part about almost no chance is for chest compressions and other measures taken after heart stops. The ventilator definitely saves lives. The CPR, from what I am seeing people talk about, is (at best) a way to delay by a few hours. Personally, I think even that little bit is worth it (barring other personal considerations) because having a chance at living, however slim, is worth fighting for. I can see why they are considering taking that choice away, though I don't know if it will reduce the exposure much and (I suspect) the emotional toll could be far higher on the medical workers.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should have been more clear. I'm too tired this week. That part about almost no chance is for chest compressions and other measures taken after heart stops. The ventilator definitely saves lives. The CPR, from what I am seeing people talk about, is (at best) a way to delay by a few hours. Personally, I think even that little bit is worth it (barring other personal considerations) because having a chance at living, however slim, is worth fighting for. I can see why they are considering taking that choice away, though I don't know if it will reduce the exposure much and (I suspect) the emotional toll could be far higher on the medical workers.

I agree. The situation sucks all around. I am remaining hopeful though (naive as I may be) that somehow the supplies will get here and lives that otherwise would have been lost will be saved. I know this isn't a movie with a guaranteed happy fairy tale ending (that ship has sailed already) but somehow, someway, I am hoping and praying that we all get the supplies everyone needs to save lives. :pray:

Like you I know every chance to save a life is a worthwhile chance. Because life is sacred and worth living and worth fighting for with all the energy and skill we have to give. And you are right. The emotional toll this is taking on the people on the front lines will have reverberations and lasting effects for many many many years to come. PTSD is going to be another challenge for our very bravest and for the survivors too...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
InstaCart employees planning to strike. Amazon fulfillment center workers starting to test positive. Not sure how they will keep home delivery going if these services end up going down.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending...over-safety-fears/EVP3AD64CRHEPOFAAK6MZUAJ24/

It is my instinct to say that if Amazon employees are starting to test positive, now is the time to stock up on my amazon supplies.

Don’t hoard, but order two or three of what I normally get on subscribe and save just to make sure I don’t have to go to the store. I get most everything from subscribe and save from laundry detergent and dishwasher soap to cat litter.

By stocking up, this will keep me out of the stores and keep me from getting exposed. One less family out of the overwhelmed hospital system.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy , have you done research if you get produce from wholesale delivery services that usually cater to restaurants?
I have just placed an order with one company. Here it's not about any shortages, my choices are plentiful. But I don't want to use delivery options elderly people might need.

The delivery service needs business because restaurants are closed, I need produce and they offer local, organic and top notch quality. Minimum order is 50€ plus 15€ delivery. I figured not many single households would buy that much...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy , have you done research if you get produce from wholesale delivery services that usually cater to restaurants?
I have just placed an order with one company. Here it's not about any shortages, my choices are plentiful. But I don't want to use delivery options elderly people might need.

The delivery service needs business because restaurants are closed, I need produce and they offer local, organic and top notch quality. Minimum order is 50€ plus 15€ delivery. I figured not many single households would buy that much...

Yes I feel the same way...as long as we were able to I wanted to be able to continue going shopping for ourselves and our elderly neighbors as I had been doing for the past couple of weeks. However right now I am feeling unwell and while I don't know if it is Covid 19 or not I dare not put anyone at risk so both my dh and I are staying inside until further notice. We will run out of some supplies within a week or two (and just in case I am still not sure what is going on with me or if I do come down with Covid 19 and we do run our of supplies) so I am just trying to figure it out.

I am not sure how to find wholesale delivery services but thank you for your suggestion and I will try finding more info out for our area.
I also think (and hope and pray) food supplies are sufficient in our area and it is just a matter of getting them to people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is my instinct to say that if Amazon employees are starting to test positive, now is the time to stock up on my amazon supplies.

Don’t hoard, but order two or three of what I normally get on subscribe and save just to make sure I don’t have to go to the store. I get most everything from subscribe and save from laundry detergent and dishwasher soap to cat litter.

By stocking up, this will keep me out of the stores and keep me from getting exposed. One less family out of the overwhelmed hospital system.

I went onto Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods and as of now there are no delivery slots available for my area. Today tomorrow or into the foreseeable future.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I feel the same way...as long as we were able to I wanted to be able to continue going shopping for ourselves and our elderly neighbors as I had been doing for the past couple of weeks. However right now I am feeling unwell and while I don't know if it is Covid 19 or not I dare not put anyone at risk so both my dh and I are staying inside until further notice. We will run out of some supplies within a week or two (and just in case I am still not sure what is going on with me or if I do come down with Covid 19 and we do run our of supplies) so I am just trying to figure it out.

I am not sure how to find wholesale delivery services but thank you for your suggestion and I will try finding more info out for our area.
I also think (and hope and pray) food supplies are sufficient in our area and it is just a matter of getting them to people.

Oh no! I'm sorry and Ihope you'll be ok soon, @missy!!!

When we got news that my girls' two main teachers were confirmed Covid-19 cases I totally freaked out because I had a sore throat for two days - I HAD been out in the garden in a too thin dress and it turned out to be a mild regular cold...

Hope you'll be A OK fast!!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@missy I’ve been using Natoora wholesale in London. They also have branches in Paris and New York so may be doing something similar to residential addresses from those branches too. They had a wide range of lots of fresh fruit and veg. Last week was the first time I tried them and delivery was overnight. I booked another order yesterday and lead time has now gone up to 3 days but that’s still very much a win these days. Their site/app is a little odd to use as it’s set up for restaurants to use (beware the quantities you order!) but it was fast, not ridiculously expensive and the delivery guy was lovely. They also have pasta, fresh soups and hummus etc. The delivery lifted my spirits no end.

Hope you feel better soon.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I’ve been using Natoora wholesale in London. They also have branches in Paris and New York so may be doing something similar to residential addresses from those branches too. They had a wide range of lots of fresh fruit and veg. Last week was the first time I tried them and delivery was overnight. I booked another order yesterday and lead time has now gone up to 3 days but that’s still very much a win these days. Their site/app is a little odd to use as it’s set up for restaurants to use (beware the quantities you order!) but it was fast, not ridiculously expensive and the delivery guy was lovely. They also have pasta, fresh soups and hummus etc.

I'll look that one up @lissyflo thanks! Good to know they are good.

Our service ist rungischezvous, but it's local

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sounds so scary @Babyblue003 I have been using Instacart because I don’t want to leave the house.
I wanted to but couldn't find any delivery slots. Some people were saying if you keep checking throughout the day sometimes a slot opens up but I haven't tried that. But with more people getting infected and people going on strikes, it's looking more like these delivery service won't be an option for long.

Ironic how getting things delivered would keep more people home, but put these employees at risk, and without the services more people will have no choice but to go out. No win situation.

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! It's a terrible time to be sick. Either you have a cold that makes you suspect you might have something much worse, or you are sick but with the current situation with the health system you won't get the care you need. It makes me worried about keeping my family healthy through this pandemic. I truly hope you feel better soon. Don't worry too much about other things and try to rest and keep your spirits up.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @lissyflo @kipari and @Babyblue033

@lissyflo I appreciate your recommendation. I can’t seem to find the delivery service in our area but will ask my dh to search. Perhaps he’ll have better luck.

Stay well everyone. We will make it through but it is going to get worse before it gets better. (((Hugs))). We will be OK.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went onto Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods and as of now there are no delivery slots available for my area. Today tomorrow or into the foreseeable future.

InstaCart was the only one I could get a spot with. Get your cart ready. Order duplicates of your MUST haves from a couple of stores so if one is out the other might have. Keep the cart ready and watch for delivery slots to pop up. It will show none available then one will be there. They come up and disappear so you just have to watch.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you don't have anything more than a mile allergy @missy !
Take care of yourself and just stay in if you can manage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results