shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you going to get your SO an engagement present?

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
I would like to get SO an engagement ring but I know my group of friends (SO included) would think I was being OTT (they know I reallllly like bling) and I dont think he would wear it because he is not big on rings. And I already got him a nice watch for his 30th this year. And he wont wear a necklace.

Any other good ideas for an engagement present?

Any of you girls considering getting your FF one?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to get him an engraved watch, but he hates watches and won't wear one. So I was thinking of a pocket watch!

But probably, no.

diamondbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I got my FI a ring. He also wasn't so keen on it in the beginning but has quickly gotten used to it. It has a really tiny diamond in it (I think it's a 2 pointer) because I know he doesn't like bling like I do. :bigsmile:

If he's not into jewellery, what about something for work? Like a nice pen with his initials engraved on it, or a beautiful leather briefcase/binder?

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
You could also get him something related to his hobbies. My BF loves outdoors stuff and he would be ecstatic if I got him an ATV. He would also love a big screen TV. If you get him an engagement present, I don't think it needs to be a piece of jewelry. Get him something you know he will love!

As for me, I have decided not to get BF a present. I asked him what he thought about it and he said he would much rather me save that money and save it towards a down payment on a house or things for our home, like furniture, appliances, etc.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I actually mentioned this to SO the other day. I offered to get him something but he has gone back and forth on whether he wants an engagement gift. One thing we mentioned was an all-grain system for his homebrewing. It's basically just a better way to brew beer. I'm just nervous he wouldn't use it as much as he thinks. He's a percussionist by trade so I suggested maybe a new drum accessory as an alternative. At the moment he said he doesn't need anything, but he'll think about it.

We both have pretty modest salaries so this would probably be an engagement/wedding gift.

He NEVER wears watches or jewelry so even wearing a wedding ring will be a big step. I wouldn't get him anything blingy for sure.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I would really like to get him something, but I have no idea what I could possibly get him. I feel like he already has everything he could want, he has the big screen, surround sound system, rolex watch ... doesn't wear any other jewellery. I was thinking maybe a very big fluffy leather rocker-recliner chair, but if I get him that he would never sit beside me on the couch anymore lol. I'm totally open to unique idea's ... maybe take him on a weekend trip somewhere, like to a hockey game and dinner out, then back to a hotel :naughty:

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
Something camera related. I'll ask his friends at work what he wants, and get that : )

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My bf already told me he wants a giant LED/3D tv.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I asked my FI if he wants anything (well, I asked him when he was my BF :) ) and he really wants a special chair...he has some back issues so we are going chair shopping! I plan to get a temporary chair for this apt and then when we are more settled we can upgrade the chair-no upgrading on the ring though!

luvshinyrocks

Rough_Rock
Yes. Probably a nice watch, since he has most everything else that he wants.

ediana

Rough_Rock
Hm. I hadn't thought about this until seeing the thread. I'd probably look for a bottle of very nice, very exclusive single malt scotch. My guy isn't into bling - or into *stuff*, much, really - but he loves having something nice to sip in the evenings and single malt is his favorite. We usually keep an assortment of 10-14 year scotches in the house so a bottle of 20 or 25 year would be extra special. :))

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Not a LIW, but after DH and I were engaged, I bought him a big, manly gas grill. He loved it and we'd just bought a house together. Nothing says testosterone like red dead animal flesh surrounded by flames. :cheeky:

A

Anonymous

Didn't get my FI a traditional engagement present, but I did plan a really wonderful weekend getaway for his birthday & our anniversary. He made our engagement weekend so special, I wanted to reciprocate! We stayed at a really special hotel (the first one we ever stayed at together) and I managed to get the room upgraded to a suite on the 26th floor, corner room w/floor to ceiling windows overlooking the SF bay. :)) We went to Wicked, came back to the room to a surprise for both of us. The hotel staff knew we were celebrating, so they gave us a free bottle of champagne and put rose petals on the bed in the shape of a heart. Cheesy, but we loved it. :bigsmile: Then got us tickets to go see his favorite band (DMB).

Like I said, not traditional at all. I guess it was more like an excuse to splurge on things I knew he'd really enjoy and show my appreciation above the everyday sentiments. :)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I got him a Tag Heuer watch. How about cufflinks, esp monogramed ones?

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm leaning towards getting him a really nice watch. He thought I was going to get him one for his b-day last week, but I got him a stereo for his boat.

Another option I have is to get him a dinghy. It's a little inflatable boat with a small outboard on the back. He wants one to tow behind his boat so we can get into the shallow beaches.

I like the idea of an engagement gift. It's not fair that only one of us gets the really expensive present.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I've talked to my SO about this already, and we think that it's a good idea that he gets an 'engagement ring' as well. It won't have any diamonds (he doesn't want any), and it won't look like a traditional wedding band, but he will wear it on his left ring finger. If he still wants to do this, then I'll pay for it.

Of course, if he would rather have a watch, then I would happily get that for him instead. After all, he went to a lot of trouble to get me the engagement ring of my dreams (and it's actually so much more than I ever imagined), so I would like for him to have something special as well. :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I got DH a watch for his engagement present. He had an old Fossil with a foggy face and really needed a new one. I knew he'd never spend money on anything decent for himself, so I took him to pick out a new one. We're cheapskates, so we didn't go crazy, but we did go to the outlet mall and he picked out a nice Tag Heuer that he loves.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I got my husband a custom made suit.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
CourtLynB said:
It's not fair that only one of us gets the really expensive present.

Sure it is...we give birth! :lol:

paris29

Shiny_Rock
My FF is getting his wedding band the same day or day after I get my e-ring. On our wedding day I'm getting him a Rolex watch.

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
amc80 said:
CourtLynB said:
It's not fair that only one of us gets the really expensive present.

Sure it is...we give birth! :lol:

Not me! lol. We are having holidays instead of having children :razz:

I like the idea of a home entertainment package!

I also just started thinking about maybe getting him a raised garden bed for growing veggies. He is a huge greenthumb and occassionally talks keenly about getting one himself. If it does happen when I think its going to happen I am pretty sure he will not have one yet (our trip to SE Asia at the end of the year) so i think I might ask around find out the prices and see how easy it would be to arrange.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
He already has his gift, its his engagement ring. I bought it, and proposed( Im waiting on mine, dont ask) for Valentines day, while drunk( Dont ask). Its a simple white band with coral in the middle. Its unique but to big so he wears it as a RHR.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
What about a nice set of cuff links?

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
Cufflinks were part of last years bday present :)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
His engagment present is that he gets to be engaged to me! ::)

:lol:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
In "exchange" for my dream ring, FF says he wants a rolex. However, he has watches he really likes and never wears them anyway. Maybe for our 1st wedding anniversary, I could swing a rolex if that's really what he wants. But in general, I hadn't really thought about it. There are a few things that may be appropriate. We shall see.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
I think I've mentioned this before on another thread, but I told my FI that I'd get him a shed/workshop space in the back yard. We have a joint budget and it's something we had already discussed when we bought our house, but I will admit that this was a proposal incentive for him :tongue:

Meanwhile, I've had my ring since March or April and he's STILL waiting for his shed. It's taken all that time to get planning approval from the local authorities!!! I am beginning to feel really sorry for him and I don't think it'll be finished much before Christmas... ;(

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
I plan when the day comes to get my SO a fantastic engraved watch as he can't really wear any jewellery because of his job.

Men can be so hard to buy for!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
I'll be getting him (us, really) a king size bed. The man constantly needs more space in our double bed and we LOVE when we stay at hotels with king sizes. But, it's not something he wants to pay for himself, so it will be the perfect dream treat for him, and he will get to enjoy it every single night. :)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did. Bought my husband his dream car (he had originally wanted a motorcycle, but since he wasn't 100% on it, we decided on the car). One of our former LIWs surprised her FI with his dream Harley. There have been lots of HD TVs, car modifications, watches, drum sets and other instruments, through LIW over the years that the forum has existed.

I think that if both parties are employed and it's financially feasible, that engagement shouldn't be a one way street. My husband and I decided that we wanted to start a new tradition, and I like the idea that we both have a physical token of our decision to join our lives together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results