shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Tiffany's Victoria Earrings an iconic piece vs Van Cleef?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello PSers!

I value everyone's opinion very much on this site. The vast knowledge and understanding PSers offer to their fellow posters is incredible.

So, I've been thinking about my HG pair of diamond earrings for awhile now.
I realize some will suggest I get a really nice pair of diamond studs. However, I feel diamond studs are a bit boring for me. I want something with a bit of style/flair.

I thought the best option would be to have a jeweler make a version of the Tiffany Victoria earrings for me. But, several jewelers I've spoke with refused to do the job as they say it's a bit too much work. They recommended I seek out pre-loved.

So, here we are. I am tentatively about to purchase a pair of pre-loved large Victoria earrings for around $9k cdn. However, there's another love - that's the VCA Vintage Alhambra.

My DH is willing to purchase one item. I can wait for the VCA, or go for the Tiffany.

What do the lovely PSers think is the best choice? What's going to have longevity? In the future, if I'd like to sell the piece and upgrade, which one will have the better trade in value?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts :)

Thanks!!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think either would hold their resale value but I would go for the Tiffany. I have always loved that style. What a sweet dilemma to have!:mrgreen2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any piece bought brand new will drop in value when you want to sell it. Pre loved, even in as new condition, is always less.
If you buy pre loved from the outset, someone else has already taken “that hit”.
Even more financially painful is have “look a like” jewellery made. It is very expensive to get jewellery hand made/ cast. And when you want to sell it, it will have much less value, less people are likely to want the “look a like” version pre loved.
Always buy preloved (after researching market prices) to ensure best financial compensation at a later date.
Buying brand new for the “in boutique experience” is a separate matter, a lot of people very much desire and value this aspect of jewellery buying.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think either would hold their resale value but I would go for the Tiffany. I have always loved that style. What a sweet dilemma to have!:mrgreen2:

Me too! I tried the earrings on at the store and I was in love! They are so sophisticated and special! It's quite a nice dilemma for sure! But, my DH has assured me that these sweet dilemmas will not be all too often :razz:

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Any piece bought brand new will drop in value when you want to sell it. Pre loved, even in as new condition, is always less.
If you buy pre loved from the outset, someone else has already taken “that hit”.
Even more financially painful is have “look a like” jewellery made. It is very expensive to get jewellery hand made/ cast. And when you want to sell it, it will have much less value, less people are likely to want the “look a like” version pre loved.
Always buy preloved (after researching market prices) to ensure best financial compensation at a later date.
Buying brand new for the “in boutique experience” is a separate matter, a lot of people very much desire and value this aspect of jewellery buying.

Thanks very much for your input! I am COMPLETELY on board with the pre-loved route. I learned very very hard lessons with my engagement ring. I don't think I'll make that mistake again! In fact, thanks to the ppl on this forum, I didn't! I ended up getting my wedding band pre-loved off of ebay and saved a ton. No one knows the difference as to whether it's vvs or si. The diamonds sparkle and that's good enough for me.

I see your point about getting 'look-a-like' jewelry made and not retaining the value. I think buying pre-loved is the best option.
Thanks for your valuable insights here. I really appreciate it!
Now, decision time :)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photos?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results