shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there words you feel are overused or that make you cringe?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once had a job where the some of the execs would always thank you by saying "You're the best!". It was overused and I hated it. Plus they didn't say it to the other men...just the women. I started replying tongue in cheek by rolling my eyes asking "Who's second best?".

Occasionally, I hear it now and oddly enough it doesn't bother me. I think it was a case of the environment and overuse.

6. Karen. I never liked using someone's name as a pejorative term.
This one makes me cringe as well.

I try not to dwell on over use of terms (unless I find it offensive, like the term Karen) as I just see it as part of people's personalities. Same with occasional misuse of grammar, spelling, etc.....probably because I am guilty of all those things myself.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More a pronunciation thing than an overuse thing:

Gunna

As in, “I’m gunna buy some more ice cream.”

Now, I’ll admit that I rarely make it all the way to “going to” in every day speech. “Gonna” is an part of most people’s vocabularies these days and it doesn’t bother me a bit (OK, not much) in casual conversation. What makes me cringe is “gunna” sprinkled throughout public meetings and even formal presentations, as one of my former colleagues did regularly. As in, “We’re gunna study the ramifications of this approach before we decide whether to formally propose Board action.”

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many written and spoken things make my skin crawl.

But for me the worst is using gift as a verb.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
innocent when used thusly: 5 innocent bystanders were hurt when.... Innocent victim of.... The word appears in nearly every report of an accident or disaster.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Colloquialisms like I seen (or seent), where y'at, gonna, warsh, etc... don't bother me.

I detest workspeech. Touch base, circle back, action items.

ugh

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I detest workspeech. Touch base, circle back, action items.

Errrr! I hate this work lingo, too! It's all just corporate mumbo jumbo.
I get to hear stuff like:
Going forward
Innovation
Proactive
Execution
Best Practices
Win the Category
Drive Solutions
Accelerate growth
Consumer insight

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has made my evening :lol:

Mine:
- Ending a statement with a vocal question mark. If you’re making an assertion then make it, don’t ask it! Seems to be predominantly a “young woman” thing.
- “I’m going to go lay down”. God help me.
- “Reiterate” when used to describe the first repetition...

Last edited:

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
I’m tired of hearing about the “GOAT” so frequently. It’s the newfangled way to refer to the “Greatest Of All Time” in any given area (sports, actors, etc.). The GOAT title is attributed to so many that it has become meaningless. Besides, when I hear the word GOAT, whatever the context, I just envision the screaming animal variety.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the 'M' word yet.

Rhymes with hoist...

Bwahaha I didn't even think of that word til you just brought it up. I don't mind that word when we are talking about baked goods like muffins or cake. As they taste best when they are that word that rhymes with hoist. :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starfacet Jewelry

Rough_Rock
Trade
"My bad" for my mistake.

"Reach out" for call or contact.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Bwahaha I didn't even think of that word til you just brought it up. I don't mind that word when we are talking about baked goods like muffins or cake. As they taste best when they are that word that rhymes with hoist. :lol-2:

I’m not bothered by that word at all hahaha. But one word I just cannot stand is fart. I can barely type it. HATE HATE HATE this word. I call it my “f” word. I didn’t mention it at first bc 1. I hate it that much and 2. It didn’t really fit the overused category or fad words like “just sayin’”. But since “moist” was brought up… :lol-2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not bothered by that word at all hahaha. But one word I just cannot stand is fart. I can barely type it. HATE HATE HATE this word. I call it my “f” word. I didn’t mention it at first bc 1. I hate it that much and 2. It didn’t really fit the overused category or fad words like “just sayin’”. But since “moist” was brought up… :lol-2:

Yeah, I hate that word too. It takes me right back to rude little boys in the 4th grade.
I never use it, never think it. Seeing you type it made me queasy.....

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
The m - word is utterly yuck. Even when applied to baked goods. Now all I can think of is American Pie.

Also. Pistol. No idea why. Just hate the very sound of it. Like all the worst bits of other horrible words rolled together.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I hate that word too. It takes me right back to rude little boys in the 4th grade.
I never use it, never think it. Seeing you type it made me queasy.....
I'm totally with you guys, but I'm now a boy mom so my days are filled with "f" word and "p" word. Just the mention of those words cracks them up! What's with boys and their obsession with those, even at this young age??? :sick:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm totally with you guys, but I'm now a boy mom so my days are filled with "f" word and "p" word. Just the mention of those words cracks them up! What's with boys and their obsession with those, even at this young age??? :sick:

Yeah my kid is 5 and luckily hasn’t gotten attached to that word but I’m bracing for it…

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
My daughter didn’t know what a fart was until she was 6 & she heard it school (we don’t use the word) but she had to ask me what it meant.
She also came home a few weeks later and told me she had heard the rudest words EVER starting with S & C.....
I was horrified until I found out they were shut up & crap. I still told her she could never say those words!

tommysmom

Rough_Rock
I do. To be clear, I am not judging anyone. Just sharing words that I feel are a bit overused. I am not free from this either. I use some words/phrases way too often. Guilty.

This is not a grammar police thread. Rather I am just curious if the use of any words/terms are irritating when you hear them. They might be used in an accurate manner but because we hear them often they become annoying.

Here are some words that I could do with hearing less of.
(Is it OK to end a sentence with a preposition :lol:)?

1. Literally.
We have a friend who uses this word in practically every single sentence. She is young (24) and I don't want to criticize her or offend her in any way so I keep quiet about this. When it comes right down to it I really don't care that much but we were just chatting yesterday and this topic is on my mind. I am not joking when I say she uses the word literally in (almost literally lol) every sentence. And it's not even being used correctly. She uses literally to mean figuratively most of the time.

2. Social distancing. I am over it. The correct term should be physical distancing anyway. I don't know who came up with the term social distancing but it isn't as accurate as physical distancing. IMO.

3. We're all in this together. Yes we are and I use this phrase often. Going to work harder to not use it.

4. In these uncertain times. All times are uncertain if you think about it. This phrase can be repetitive to hear over and over and over.

5. Actually/Like etc I am guilty here too. And I also use "I know, right"? Another overused term. I use that one a lot too.

6. Karen. I never liked using someone's name as a pejorative term.

There are more but I will stop here.

Any words that make you cringe?

I have 2- New normal, people who end their sentences in “right”?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m tired of hearing about the “GOAT” so frequently. It’s the newfangled way to refer to the “Greatest Of All Time” in any given area (sports, actors, etc.). The GOAT title is attributed to so many that it has become meaningless. Besides, when I hear the word GOAT, whatever the context, I just envision the screaming animal variety.

I'm the GOAT among PSers! :praise: :tongue:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Passed as in died. People do not pass (as if we grade their dying); people die. A euphemism doesn't make someone less dead.

Surface as in discuss. We're going to surface the issue at our next meeting. I always had a mental picture of a submarine surfacing in the ocean and it made me laugh at inappropriate times such as when the boss said "surface" twenty times an hour.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Passed as in died. People do not pass (as if we grade their dying); people die. A euphemism doesn't make someone less dead.
@Matata hmm, interesting to read your take on using ‘passed away’ rather than ‘die’ so I felt compelled to comment.
Personally speaking, it was very difficult for me to use the word ‘died’ when speaking of my cherished loved ones. It takes time for some of us to be able to utter that word in regards to our person/people. Just my opinion, of course, but wanted to share as I have often thought of the verbiage in the years since my folks passed five weeks apart in their late 60’s.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it was very difficult for me to use the word ‘died’ when speaking of my cherished loved ones.

It's easier for me to accept death when it's not sugarcoated and I understand that others need to do what makes them comfortable. I've heard people use passed away when speaking of mere acquaintances to people who don't even know the deceased. I find that odd. In my family the words died/dead are never used even decades after the death of a friend or family member. It's as though saying die means permanent while passed away conveys something is not final.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I loved every minute of this thread.
I agree with every post.
Like a refreshing breath of sanity.
Thank you all!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Passed as in died. People do not pass (as if we grade their dying); people die. A euphemism doesn't make someone less dead. ...

Some people, lots actually, believe they pass from this life to the next.
I'd imagine in their minds the term pass is more accurate than die.

Die, dead, and death sound like the absolute end of something, a horrible thing to ponder.
What could be more-cherished, yet ironically more taken for granted, than life itself?

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Words that make me cringe are words that are mispronounced, like Nukalar, instead of nuclear, and people saying somethinK or nothinK, when someone misuses a word, like I pacifically said I didn’t want that colour. :mrgreen:

Oh those "words" really annoy me too! Is it a UK thing? How hard is it to say New-clear. I've heard news readers mispronounce this word many times

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One phrase that I hate to hear or see written: Me and my boyfriend/sister/dog went for a walk. Ugh. Nails on a chalkboard. Would you say "Me went for a walk"??

I probably use the phrase "forget about it" too often. Actually the way we say it, It's actually one word, pronounced "fahgetaboutit".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results