shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there words you feel are overused or that make you cringe?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
‘you know what I’m say’in.’ After every sentence. Please STOP. If I knew what you were saying I wouldn’t have asked you to explain or clarify what you are saying.:wall:

Dude.

My ten year old girl has suddenly started saying “Like…DUDE?!!!”. I pay an arm and a leg for her education for her to be dude-ing me…. Kill me now.
“Dude” is one of my favorite words. Such nuance. Your daughter’s only just dipped her toes in with “...DUDE?!?!” (which is hilarious, by the way). Her repertoire will soon expand to include “Dude!” for friendly greetings and emphatic agreement, a flat/punctuated “Dude.” to express displeasure or exasperation, and, of course, the ultimate surfer dude “duuude,” which can either convey hesitation/dismay (low pitch) or unbridled glee (high pitch). This is just the beginning, my dude!

I’m also a frequent user of “no yeah” (=yes), “yeah no” (=no), and “yeah no for sure” (=definitely), so I would probably make more than one PSer batty with my totally grody Valley Girl speak. I draw the line at uptalk and vocal fry, if that’s any consolation.

Speaking of “yeah” — one thing that will drive me to drink is people spelling it “ya” or “yea.” But public enemy #1, as far as I’m concerned, is “anyways” with an S at the end.

Mine is more of an exclamation.
Woo-hoo (loudly)!
Usually by a drinking middle-aged female.
A neighbor woman did this during the entire 4th of July fireworks display.

Woo Girls never grow up.

At a wedding I attended last year, the bride hollered “WOOOOOOO” — one hand fist pumping her bouquet, the other holding up her strapless dress — as she and her groom walked back down the aisle together. All the way from altar to limo.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is making me laugh out loud.
Around here, a common response is
"I know, huh?
I even have to stop myself from saying it sometimes.

Another one that I dislike is
"it is what it is"
A former boss used to say this all the time. He wasn't very sharp, yet he was my boss. Go figure.
Anyway, he never knew the answers to my questions, and so he would say "it is what it is".
Grrrrr.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Definitely making me laugh!

Mine right now is BLESSED.

I get it, you're thankful for everything. But the word does not need to be on clothing, home decor, coffee mugs, plastered to your child's head, and everything else!

I think it might be more the context of how it is being used lately. It has become more bragging about everything.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Noooooo! All I can think of is Kanye “Imma let you finish…”

OMG I thought that whole incident was so unbelievably awful and unforgivable frankly. And completely indicative of Kanye’s abiding and severe mental health problems. How that guy has got away with so much appalling and insane behaviour just speaks to the import of money over everything.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cougar—to describe older women who date younger men!
“Date night”— wtf? Isn’t every night date night?
My husband “babysat” our kids..Really? Like. He’s their dad!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you, yah ok? :lol:

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock

The dad babysitting their own kids comment gets be every time. NO, he is not babysitting, he is parenting. Drives me nuts when people say this to me!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bye Felicia. I kept hearing it and had no idea what it was supposed to mean. I finally looked it up. I'm not even sure the young adult who I was hearing it from knew what it meant as she posted it along with a photo of the statue of David while she was visiting Italy. I was totally confused.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Yep” and “Gotcha” annoy me. Also when I call my kids and they answer “What?”

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ZestfullyBling "You know what I'm saying" is one of my & my DD's favorite lines to mock from We're the Millers. It's a running joke with us.

@missy "Literally" is literally overused. DD has a friend who told me last week she comes home from work and "literally dies." She received an endless load of crap from me for that, especially since she's a teacher. She used to always say "legit" and I'd smack her upside the head. That habit was broken quickly. :lol-2:

I'm so glad that "Talk to the hand" is no longer used. That was rather annoying.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Incredible' is overused in the Philadelphia area.
"It is what it is" gets on my nerves. What else could it be but what it is?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bye Felicia. I kept hearing it and had no idea what it was supposed to mean. I finally looked it up. I'm not even sure the young adult who I was hearing it from knew what it meant as she posted it along with a photo of the statue of David while she was visiting Italy. I was totally confused.

A while back, I was commenting on the passing of a certain celebrity, when a PSer said "bye Felicia"
I had never heard that expression before. And I have not heard it since.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When someone starts a sentence with: "I'm not gonna lie"

I am then thinking, are you lying all of the other times then?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Funny thread. The word cringe!!! Then people say "cringe" after something they don't like it drive me batty!

cheers--Sharon

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wasn't expecting this thread to be so entertaining!!
A funny millennium pet peeve (as told to me by my kids), they hate punctuation. If I send a text with a period at the end (I am a teacher after all) they think I am being aggressive!! :wall:
I had NO idea this was a thing! Now I feel old!

Dude.

My ten year old girl has suddenly started saying “Like…DUDE?!!!”. I pay an arm and a leg for her education for her to be dude-ing me…. Kill me now.
My 5 year old once called me "dude" and I was SO offended for some reason. Like, I didn't go through 24 hour labor to bring you into this world to be called a DUDE! :eek-2:

“Dude” is one of my favorite words. Such nuance. Your daughter’s only just dipped her toes in with “...DUDE?!?!” (which is hilarious, by the way). Her repertoire will soon expand to include “Dude!” for friendly greetings and emphatic agreement, a flat/punctuated “Dude.” to express displeasure or exasperation, and, of course, the ultimate surfer dude “duuude,” which can either convey hesitation/dismay (low pitch) or unbridled glee (high pitch). This is just the beginning, my dude!
Yet this made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

I hate the cougar thing too!! I can’t even say it anymore to mean the animal bc this connotation comes to mind. Good thing the animal also goes by “mountain lion” and “puma”.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
'this to shall pass':nono:

Then I just wanna say: "I know it will, but your non empathetic azzzz never has anything consoling to say so that's your go to. Just shut up and let me feel what I'm feeling please."

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
'I'm sorry you feel that way'- the most non-apology that ever was.
Epic- wasn't in use for too long but especially grating just the same.
Somewheres/anywheres, expecially, expresso, granite.

Though I have been guilty of tossing out 'I'll take under advisement' which can in certain circumstances be applied as a soft, passive aggressive F-you.
Also personally guilty of many colloquialisms.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Hun' as a term of endearment from people I do not know that well.

'A case in point' - what's wrong with 'For example'?

'Surely', 'clearly', 'obviously' etc. when said/written in certain way implies the person using it is right and others are wrong.

I avoid using these words when I am auditing as they could rub the auditees the wrong way, as they kind of annoy me when I hear them being used against me without being backed up by objective evidence.

DK :roll2:

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Can I “arsessct” (ask) a question?

“I seen….”

Absolutely or absolute.

“UUGGHHH!!!” (grunted in loud tone) by any child asked to do “something” they don’t want to do.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here on PS i hate Sweet when not related to something eattable
If you mean small just say it :angryfire:

Snub
hate hate hate snub
I have more
i will be back !

I agree @Daisys and Diamonds. I’ll never understand why people do that. Getting jewelry is such a happy thing in a PSer’s life. Is it really that difficult to be genuinely happy for someone and be kind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results