shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there certain SHAPES you stay away from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Are there certain SHAPES you stay away from?

Since TourmalineLover put up the intriguing question of stones you stay away from, lets do shapes you stay away from.

Me - don''t care for ovals. They look antiquated but not in a good way. Am not much into rounds, either, although I could handle them if necessary.

Love - cushions & squares.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate princesses. I don''t know why....I just don''t. like. them.

What''s funny is that I''ll own one someday. Muah ha ha ha!!!!

Seriously I love rounds and ovals. Asschers and emeralds are good. I won''t do hearts or princesses. That''s all.

Although if a princess is the right color, I MIGHT make an exception.

I won''t do hearts. Period. Even in an amazing color.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t gotten any cushions, asschers, or Princess cuts. I love emerald cuts and bagettes, so it may be the square shapes that just seem wrong to me. Generally I get rounds, ovals, pears and the occasional unique 9-sided stone!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if you saw the "Sex & the City" episode where Aidan bought Carrie a pear shaped engagement ring, and she hated pears. So Samantha took Aidan to get her an Asscher - thus starting the asscher craze everywhere. Yes, that craze started with SATC. After that episode, everyone had to have an asscher, and it wasn''t this popular since the 1920''s.

Pears are gorgeous in halos though, and some people have drop dead gorgeous pears. I think all shapes are beautiful as long as the stone is cut well and has good proportions. I''m slightly more fond of cushions, but I can''t turn a stone away if it has great color, no matter what the shape. As far as white diamonds, I can be more selective since they''re colorless, and I would go with an asscher any day of the week. I probably misspelled asscher throughout this whole thread, didn''t I?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquise. I don''t really like them. Checkerboard cuts........ Yikes!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah! Yuck to checkerboard!! (Although I own one....)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t care for trillion cuts, although I do own an unset tanzie one. Add me to checkerboard cuts too.

Linda

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Pears and hearts don't appeal.

Princess cuts I don't like, even though I love Asschers (from way before SATC was even a concept in some screenwriter's head) - so it's not something against the square shape as such. Radiants can be hit-or-miss, but again emerald cuts are OK, so it's not the rectangle shape.

Also, some shapes I think are OK (or even great) for side/secondary stones, but they don't work in larger sizes: trillions, half moons, shields, traps.

If given a choice, square would be first, round and rectangle second, rounded rectangle (cushion/Mazarin/OMC) third

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hearts. No likee. Too cutesy.

Pears... undecided. I think it would really depend on the setting.

Marquise.... not so much.

I''m with Freke on the princess cuts. Not a fan. Meh.

I love rounds, cushions asschers and trillions. I really want a trillion pendant some day.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Would never buy a heart. I don''t like skinny marquis or pears but love fat ones. Don''t like the sharp corners of a princess but I like the facet pattern.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot, I don''t care for hearts either.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like RB the best anymore. I do like ovals, trillions and even hearts. I don''t like emerald cut or marquise but I own 2 of each. I don''t like baguettes or square cuts. I like some princess cuts but they have to be well cut.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love cushions, rounds and Asschers (though only colored Asschers). Not a big fan of princesses, radiants and emeralds - I think I just don''t like really sharp edges. Ovals and marquises are a toss-up

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I don''t like hearts. Give me an unnotched fat pear everytime.

I also don''t like rounds. I know, I know... I will take one if it is an exceptional stone or design. I confess I have designed a pendant for a nice round.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Love: Cushion, Round, Emerald (only certain stones)
Like: Oval, Asscher, Marquise (fat), Pear (fat), Trillion (for pendants and bracelets)
Dislike: Heart, Marquise (skinny), Princess

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Dislike: princess, radiants that are very elongated, skinny marquise

Like: really love funky shapes in gems, esp cuts that don''t occur for diamonds. Octagons = <3. I actually like a checkerboard in the right setting just because I don''t think you see them that often anymore. Like pears and ovals. The big asschers are pretty neat-o. I like ECs in gems, but right now prefer them e-w for some reason (?). IMO, a round is always lovely. Like cabochons (sp?).

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I used to think I didn''t like pears, but then I saw Katherine Heigel''s
I also used to think I didn''t like Marquise. but I am in love
30.gif
30.gif
with Portia DeRossi''s.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I love my rounds. Lately I''ve been very interested in a RHR pear gemstone with a Halo. I don''t like skinny marquis.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 10:20:47 PM
Author: iluvcarats
I used to think I didn''t like pears, but then I saw Katherine Heigel''s

I also used to think I didn''t like Marquise. but I am in love
30.gif
30.gif
with Portia DeRossi''s.

OMG isn''t Portia''s to die for??????? I LOVE her''s
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to hate ovals and trillions but have now come to appreciate them for a few reasons: they tend to have a larger surface area and so look large for their carat weight. Pears are hard to buy because the colour tends to over concentrate at the tip so the stone doesn''t always looks its best.

Love: square cushion and step cut
Like: round and elongated cushion
Acceptable: oval, trillion, pear, barion and other mixed cuts (free form included)
Dislike: princess, marquise, hearts

I''ve seen some very pretty checkerboard cuts but I just can''t buy any personally.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another one for all you "heart haters" out there - I hope this doesn't make you wince! BTW, those are all diamonds.

heartsgalore.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
O M G!!!! Are those blues and yellows I see in there?????

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
and please forgive me for asking a stupid question..... are those all natural diamonds as well??????????

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I tend to stay away from hearts and princess cuts. I adore marquise cuts--love them east west. Love ovals, rounds, emeralds, cushions, pears, bullets, kites, bags--and many more!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline Lover - cool "heart" collection. I''m with Linda - are they all diamonds?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 10:56:36 PM
Author: Linda W
O M G!!!! Are those blues and yellows I see in there?????

that light blue at 7 o''clock!

Why hearts? WHYYYY??

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE LOVE LOVE rounds and emerald cuts, although emerald cuts mostly for diamonds.

I REALLY REALLY like asschers in a BIG but lightly colored stone, so you can see the pattern really nicely. (I''d love this in a diamond too, but I''ll never be able to afford a big enough one to really appreciate it.)

I like pears, but really only when in a halo. Kind of wanting my next LOGR project to be a pear in their AWESOME pear setting!

Not a huge fan of marquis, although I''ve seen some that I really like, I guess the fatter the better.

I don''t usually like ovals, but I just bought one that kept calling my name.
3.gif
I guess they work for me in the right colors.

I don''t really love princesses, but I''m not opposed to having one in a great color someday to set on point.

Radiants just don''t do it for me. Not really at all. Neither do trillions for some reason.

Hearts are not for me either, UNLESS it was a SERIOUS rare beauty like that blue diamond, or something of that sort. Little cutesy amethyst hearts just make me think of kids'' jewelry, which is great for kids, but not me.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 10:53:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''s another one for all you ''heart haters'' out there - I hope this doesn''t make you wince! BTW, those are all diamonds.
Fine .. you twisted my arm. I will take that pretty blue heart. Heck .. I will take them all .. I can be convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results