shape
carat
color
clarity

Are people who are out and about winning at life?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in FL, in one of the hardest hit counties. Yes I've had to get tested because I've been feeling like shit. Do I have it? I certainly hope not considering how careful I've been.

The reality is yesterday we saw 15K positives. thats a lot of backlog and I will say that at least the state is testing heavily. the numbers represent a LOT of this being in the state. Do I feel bitter about not going out? No. I feel bitter about the stupid MF'ers saying its not that bad? Hell yes! I live in a mixed neighborhood, one full of hospital personnel, police, and school teachers. All three professions needed to keep our civilization from teetering into chaos. The morgue has a few meat trucks on standby, but its not "that bad?"

With Covid its not just the initial, its the lingering issues that happen afterward. There's people that will have kidney issues and be on dialysis the rest of their lives. The.Rest.Of.Their.Lives. People who never had asthma now have it or have other lung ailments, the rest of their lives. A host of other ailments that this thing is causing.

They are now turning people away from a hospital 2 miles away from me because they're at capacity, they're running field hospital and more staff is becoming ill. this is not a big hospital but, think about what that means for this area. If I get sick, I could be screwed because I'm, no spring chicken!

And yes hospitals do have plans and they're implementing them, in the meantime, if they get overwhelmed, they will have to start making choices as to who gets care and who gets sent home to die. I said that before in a thread when that was happening in Italy, and I hoped like hell it wouldn't happen here but its on our door.

Schools in my county are supposed to open August 10. Not with the numbers we're getting, we wont.

I didn't sign up for this shit. I wear a mask, I make masks for others. I wish people would get their heads out of their asses and work together instead of making this a political thing. Masks are not political, and this virus dosen't give a shit how you vote.

FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!! You need a fragrance pick-me-up!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Demon thats intersting because I have GERD :lol: . I usually take zantac but had to move to pepcid for time being. I don't find it as effective for GERD unfortunately! I had heard about the studies and think that either Tagament or Pepcid could work as pretty sure they're 2 sides of the same coin being they're H2 blockers.

Its VERY hard to get famididine at the current none at my local CVS and, even wallyworld restricts to a box at a time.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, if they don't die, or kill their grandparents and the old folk in their community.
So ... go out, make money, kill people.

Who cares?
All that matters is money.:dance:
Here in the UK, medical care is nationalised and paid for through taxation. Money matters.

If the economy is destroyed and poverty increases massively, who is going to pay those taxes to run the NHS?

Money vs lives is simplistic and misleading.

Lives now vs Lives later is more accurate - we can reduce or delay some level of deaths by implementing total lockdown and destroying the economy totally, but what about not being able to pay for treatment for NHS patients later?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny, I think the lack of a health system in the U.S. (like what the U.K has) is part of what contributes to the "every man for himself mentality" here. It's also why some are such slaves to their jobs, because many of us have our health insurance through our employers.

There is little faith in government looking out for the best interests of its citizens which leads to distrust and that in turn makes it hard to implement any national mandates that could get this better under control.

If we could trust that our government actually cared about the people then we would get a lot farther as a society, people would be more accepting of recommendations and as a result Americans would care more about everyone else too. Unfortunately there are too many things that keep people apart (political groups, religious groups, hate groups etc) so it's unlikely we will ever make significant change.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hell no. I think we should just accept that people are going to die from this or its aftereffects and not beat our breasts in faux mortification for all the young people who are now dying in hospitals, for all the little kids who are experiencing horrific issues, for all the elderly who continue to die. I have no problem at all with mother nature clearing out the overload of homo sapiens who are driving so many other species to extinction. When all those who are hiding emerge from their basements, the world just might be a better place.
Covid19 deaths in hospitals in England - by Age group and by pre-existing condition - up to 8th July 2020

C19 Deaths in UK hospitals by Age Group and pre-existing condition - up to 2020-07-08.png

(from here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/ )

I'm not sure what you are defining as 'young', but 20 people have died under the age of 19, only four of which did not have a pre-existing condition, out of a population of 13,282,321, which is only 0.000151%.

UK Population 2019 - 0-19 years.png

(https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...almidyearpopulationestimates/mid2019estimates )

Even if we extend 'young' to mean aged up to 39 (using the same link above), 230 people have died, only 37 of which did not have a pre-existing condition, out of a population of 28,113,189 people - or half (49.9%) of the population - which is only 0.000818%.

This graph is for England and Wales, but shows the numbers across all the age ranges:

COVID-19 deaths up to 3 July 2020 - split by sex.png

COVID-19 deaths up to 3 July 2020 - split by sex - figures.png

(https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...viruscovid19roundupdeathsandhealth/2020-06-26 )

This virus very clearly is not killing 'all the young people'!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish everyone would treat the US as its own animal. We do not compare to any other country. We are the leader in coronavirus cases for the world.

For instance, in AZ one in five people has coronavirus. There are counties in FLA that have a case rate of 33%. That’s one in three people who have it.

The news has stated over and over again that the new group who is experiencing infection are our young people due to their behavior during the reopening. Our young people don’t have to die in order for us to take notice. This virus has lifelong implications. It’s concerning enough that their infection rate has risen.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
@Demon thats intersting because I have GERD :lol: . I usually take zantac but had to move to pepcid for time being. I don't find it as effective for GERD unfortunately! I had heard about the studies and think that either Tagament or Pepcid could work as pretty sure they're 2 sides of the same coin being they're H2 blockers.

Its VERY hard to get famididine at the current none at my local CVS and, even wallyworld restricts to a box at a time.

That's too bad that it isn't helping your GERD. It does help mine. I've had trouble finding the generic (quite a bit cheaper than name brand pepcid) at King Soopers since this info started to come out. It's in stock every now and then. But I did buy 2 bottles of it under Kirkland brand on Amazon. 20 mgs, 125 tablets each. Just in case one of us would come down with COVID. I hope you find something else that helps with your GERD.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I wish everyone would treat the US as its own animal. We do not compare to any other country. We are the leader in coronavirus cases for the world.

For instance, in AZ one in five people has coronavirus. There are counties in FLA that have a case rate of 33%. That’s one in three people who have it.

The news has stated over and over again that the new group who is experiencing infection are our young people due to their behavior during the reopening. Our young people don’t have to die in order for us to take notice. This virus has lifelong implications. It’s concerning enough that their infection rate has risen.

And I heard last night that this seems to be as much of a cardio-vascular and neuro something or other disease as it is pulmonary. Blood clots are found everywhere, brain damage can occur. In everyone, not just the old and those with other health concerns. I also heard it was one in four in AZ. Not that one in five isn't bad enough!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what you are defining as 'young', but 20 people have died under the age of 19, only four of which did not have a pre-existing condition, out of a population of 13,282,321, which is only 0.000151%.

In my state, in Florida, and in a rising number of cases through out the US, new infections requiring hospitalization for the under 40 age group are increasing.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in FL, in one of the hardest hit counties. Yes I've had to get tested because I've been feeling like shit. Do I have it? I certainly hope not considering how careful I've been.

The reality is yesterday we saw 15K positives. thats a lot of backlog and I will say that at least the state is testing heavily. the numbers represent a LOT of this being in the state. Do I feel bitter about not going out? No. I feel bitter about the stupid MF'ers saying its not that bad? Hell yes! I live in a mixed neighborhood, one full of hospital personnel, police, and school teachers. All three professions needed to keep our civilization from teetering into chaos. The morgue has a few meat trucks on standby, but its not "that bad?"

With Covid its not just the initial, its the lingering issues that happen afterward. There's people that will have kidney issues and be on dialysis the rest of their lives. The.Rest.Of.Their.Lives. People who never had asthma now have it or have other lung ailments, the rest of their lives. A host of other ailments that this thing is causing.

They are now turning people away from a hospital 2 miles away from me because they're at capacity, they're running field hospital and more staff is becoming ill. this is not a big hospital but, think about what that means for this area. If I get sick, I could be screwed because I'm, no spring chicken!

And yes hospitals do have plans and they're implementing them, in the meantime, if they get overwhelmed, they will have to start making choices as to who gets care and who gets sent home to die. I said that before in a thread when that was happening in Italy, and I hoped like hell it wouldn't happen here but its on our door.

Schools in my county are supposed to open August 10. Not with the numbers we're getting, we wont.

I didn't sign up for this shit. I wear a mask, I make masks for others. I wish people would get their heads out of their asses and work together instead of making this a political thing. Masks are not political, and this virus dosen't give a shit how you vote.

I’m so sorry @Arcadian . I feel your frustration. I’m in CA and same thing about people feeling that if they get it they’ll survive and forgetting or not caring if they pass it to others. So many people in public not wearing a mask.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my state, in Florida, and in a rising number of cases through out the US, new infections requiring hospitalization for the under 40 age group are increasing.

I think that detailed analysis of underlying health conditions, gender and ethnicity are needed to add some detail behind the age statistics - if one lives in a rich, white, healthy state, I imagine the statistics are going to look very different to those in a poor, black, unhealthy state.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that detailed analysis of underlying health conditions, gender and ethnicity are needed to add some detail behind the age statistics - if one lives in a rich, white, healthy state, I imagine the statistics are going to look very different to those in a poor, black, unhealthy state.

Sure. It also is the nature of a virus to infect those who expose themselves to it. In my area, the 50+ group is more cautious than those who are younger.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The problem with statistics is that statistical numbers are not straightforward facts; they require context, discernment, and proper judgment before a sound, logical conclusion can be formed to explain why it is the numbers are what they are. Even the method of procuring the data is subject to bias unless it's a double-blind experiment. There's a statistic out there that an undiscerning person could use to support any narrative about anything topic out there. This is why statistics are the least reliable type of evidence. I distrust people who only use statistics to support some conclusion.

BMI

Shiny_Rock

@House Cat I would just like to clarify this comment, so that there is no confusion on the part of anyone reading this thread. What you are stating here is a case positivity rate. This refers to the percentage of positive test results out of the total number of tests taken on any given day. This does not mean that one in five people in AZ (or 1 in 3 in FL) have the coronavirus. It means that one in approximately five people tested that day, tested positive and have the virus. (which is also not good news, but very different). According to online websites, the population of AZ is somewhere around 7.3 million people right now. According to the AZ Dept of Health Services, there are currently 128,097 cases which is 1.75 percent of their population or about 1 out of 57 people.

This is a screenshot of yesterdays Worldometer stats ranked in order of highest cases per state population (the last column on the right). AZ is currently ranked fourth, however both Arizona and Florida (as well as numerous other states) are currently experiencing much higher rates of spread than New York and New Jersey. New York, which still has the highest %/population of corona virus cases is at 2.2% which is about 1 in 45 people.

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 12.56.06 PM - Edited.png

And I agree, it is concerning that our youth are exposing themselves in great numbers, with no fear of the possibility that they may suffer lifelong complications from it. But if we're honest, most of us would probably have behaved the same when we were young. It is the nature of youth to believe one is invincible ........ until personal life experience teaches us otherwise.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And I heard last night that this seems to be as much of a cardio-vascular and neuro something or other disease as it is pulmonary. Blood clots are found everywhere, brain damage can occur. In everyone, not just the old and those with other health concerns. I also heard it was one in four in AZ. Not that one in five isn't bad enough!

Yes. This virus mainly acts by attacking the endothelial tissue that forms the lining of our vascular system throughout our bodies. Blood clots are just one of the ways that the vasculature responds to this. Blood clots, massive inflammation, fluid buildup.....when it occurs in the vascular system of the lungs, you get the hypoxia and progression towards respiratory distress; when it occurs in the kidneys, they can't do their job and are damaged and you end up on dialysis or dying; when it happens in the brain, there can be a myriad of manifestations that can be fatal or disabling, and so on and so on.... It is really, really, really nothing to fool with.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
@voce I share much of your opinion regarding the use of statistics. I frequently see them used in news articles in a very deceptive manner!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have to be out and about as an essential worker whose workplace is not going to be closing down unless the owners are sick.

I'm avoiding being out and about leisurely as much as possible, and I mask up and use my hand sanitizer as much as possible in public. However, my landlady and housemate who has pre-existing conditions (cancer survivor in her 60s) is going out, and invites friends to the house sometimes. I'm younger and it's not as though I don't have fear of lifelong complications, but at this point I've become resigned to the fact that unless I decide to relocate to another country... It's just not realistic for me to expect I can stay cooped up and not working until a vaccine has come out. A 100% effective vaccine may not come out for years, so I asked everyone around me are not living with the delusion this virus can be contained. Too many in the American population already have it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results