shape
carat
color
clarity

are girls getting greedier nowadays?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if it's necessarily greed, but it does seem like rings have become a much bigger deal. I think that a big part is societal. People get married later in life and many more women work and contribute to finances. I also think the media influences our hunger for flashy, materialistic things.

I also think that as a society we are spending more than ever on luxury items. The idea of 2-3 month salary as "rule of thumb" influences how people view the purchase--we are so brainwashed by the media and we are so willing to spend and buy things on credit. One of my friends was going on about how she expected her guy to spend 3 months salary. I was like, "that's a s#!t ton of money!! And is that before or after taxes?!?!" I mean, that's just crazy. My ring cost less than a moths salary (before taxes), and I think it very nice and quite substantial. And best of all, it was paid in full with cash.

When my parents got married there seemed to be less emphasis on "the ring". Most of the older women I know have competitively modest rings. My mom never even got an engagement ring--she always just wore a plain gold band, and she got an emerald and diamond ring for an anniversary.

Anyways, I guess thats my .02. :rolleyes:

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
bling isn't huge over here but I think that people in general are getting greedier about what they want. Although after studying hard and working hard, if they can afford it (both men and women), more power to them.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1326616672|3103318 said:
I don't know if it's necessarily greed, but it does seem like rings have become a much bigger deal. I think that a big part is societal. People get married later in life and many more women work and contribute to finances. I also think the media influences our hunger for flashy, materialistic things.

I also think that as a society we are spending more than ever on luxury items. The idea of 2-3 month salary as "rule of thumb" influences how people view the purchase--we are so brainwashed by the media and we are so willing to spend and buy things on credit. One of my friends was going on about how she expected her guy to spend 3 months salary. I was like, "that's a s#!t ton of money!! And is that before or after taxes?!?!" I mean, that's just crazy. My ring cost less than a moths salary (before taxes), and I think it very nice and quite substantial. And best of all, it was paid in full with cash.

When my parents got married there seemed to be less emphasis on "the ring". Most of the older women I know have competitively modest rings. My mom never even got an engagement ring--she always just wore a plain gold band, and she got an emerald and diamond ring for an anniversary.
Anyways, I guess thats my .02. :rolleyes:

Same with my mom. She didnt get an engagement ring, she was married with a plain gold band. On their fifth christmas, my dad surprised her with a .20ct RB solitaire ring- They have now been married for 32 years.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it is actually greed, rather a sense of entitlement this generation has. They are a very instant gratification generation. Not willing to wait for things. They see something and want it now! They all have the latest cellphone, iPad, clothing. They see teens like justin bieber giving his GF a 50,000 watch!!! And say I want that too why can't I have that? They see celebrity engagements with huge rocks and want that too. that show my super sweet 16 was the worst thing ever!

And I really think the young girls who demand big stones really have no clue as to how expensive a 2 ct stone is. Or how hard someone has to work in order to earn something like that! When my DD was getting engaged her boyfriend asked for pictures for suggestions. She showed him what she wanted ,in my opinion kinda big 3 stone with pave and filigree. Pretty rings but a bit much.
And i told her so.
He proposed with a .50 princess in a plain cathedral setting. After some angst she asked, why did you ask what I wanted and then give me this?
His answer was... Do you know how much a ring like that was? Her response no, but if you loved me you would have gotten it! She then heard the price tag... About 30 grand and nearly fell over! He showed her the cert from her ring, and saw that he had gotten her a decently priced very nice stone. It is a E .55 Vs1 princess in a platinum setting, and did not go into debt!
He also pointed out they could now afford to move to a bigger apt so the bambino on the way could have his own room! She realized her priorities had been a little off!
It's amazing how in 4 short years this shallow girl has matured into a responsible mother ,wife ,business owner and has really gotten to understand finances and the difference between a want and a need!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have to comment again because I really think so much of this has to do with people not realizing what things cost! I think this is one benefit to the couple picking out the ring together. They set a budget and then they both learn together what they can get for their money. It will be quite an eye opener for some but at least it will be an important lesson.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1326561675|3102936 said:
Yes...my soon-to-be ex-SIL is a cop. My brother was working as a contracter in Afghanistan trying to pay off some of the
credit card bills they had run up. She decides she wants a BMW...they buy one (used) even though she doesnt really run
with a crowd that drives cars like that. Then for their 10 anniversary she decides she wants a 2 carat EC. She buys one.
Its not even paid off and they are going through a divorce. They have no money in savings and nothing saved for college
educations or retirement but she's got that 2 carat EC! Just ridiculous!

I'm not saying that my brother was innocent in all of it. He spent money on himself too that he shouldnt have!

Well...I don't think it's fair to judge the way others spend their money, especially on a board filled with jewelry enthusiasts. People vary and all that...

I think that girls are getting greedier these days, but I think it's an innocent greed if you will. Most people have no clue how much a 2 carat stone costs how how big it really is.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so easy to judge others, isn't it? Just take a quick snapshot of one detail of their otherwise extremely complex lives, draw a conclusion, and voila!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I think that both, men and women are getting greedier in general. I've been seeing girls buying their own e-rings a lot in DH's circle. Perhaps they are making more $ then their SO, maybe the couple is paying for their own wedding, hard to tell.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Anyways, I guess thats my .02. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Same with my mom. She didnt get an engagement ring, she was married with a plain gold band. On their fifth christmas, my dad surprised her with a .20ct RB solitaire ring- They have now been married for 32 years.[/quote]

I just realized that my phone autocorrected *comparatively* to competitively. just reread and felt like a doofus.

My parents could have afforded a ring, but my mom felt it was more important to use that money for a downpayment on a house. I feel like people's priorities are really skewed these days, and there is so much more emphasis placed upon "stuff". And I completely agree with what others have said about people not realizing the cost. And additionally, like I mentioned before, people are so willing to buy stuff on credit. Buying a diamond ring on credit seems so stupid! You end up paying more than the thing is worth once you factor in intrest. I have angst over my car for the same reason--but I NEED the car. I work in sales and I have to drive a nicer car. And my company gives me milage, which I put towards the payments.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1326645614|3103432 said:
i have to comment again because I really think so much of this has to do with people not realizing what things cost! I think this is one benefit to the couple picking out the ring together. They set a budget and then they both learn together what they can get for their money. It will be quite an eye opener for some but at least it will be an important lesson.

I have to agree. I am 23, and though I'm already engaged, not many of my friends are. They do tend to talk about what they would want in a ring and they all wants HUGE (for my area and social circle) diamonds. The average here is maybe a little under 1 carat, and they want at least 2. They also want these things as fast as possible, which is another story entirely. I don't think they realize how pricey diamonds and metal continue to be.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1326651078|3103486 said:
It's so easy to judge others, isn't it? Just take a quick snapshot of one detail of their otherwise extremely complex lives, draw a conclusion, and voila!

This.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I think another contributing factor is pre-meditated sentimentality.

The "girls of today" have decided that they will love their ring forever, and that it will be "the one ring" and that it must never change. Clearly no upgrades are allowed and they must get it right the first time. The ring is like an anchor of stability in an uncertain world (and the anchor should be a big one).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results