shape
carat
color
clarity

are girls getting greedier nowadays?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my nephew's gf wants a 2ct Ering and couple of my friend's gfs are thinking 1.5- 2ct. i guess a 1ct stone ain't good enough anymore... ::)

melave

Shiny_Rock
Mines a 1/2ct center stone and i love it!! perfect size for me :)

I know what you mean. I was chatting to my hairdresser yesterday and she said she had to move here to find a man that would buy her a 2ct diamond. I told her she should buy one herself :)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1326502843|3102530 said:
my nephew's gf wants a 2ct Ering and couple of my friend's gfs are thinking 1.5- 2ct. i guess a 1ct stone ain't good enough anymore... ::)

I don't think it has anything to do with personal taste. I think a lot of people are saying they want larger stones because more and more that's what they're seeing on celebrities on TV. I'd venture to guess that a lot of girls that are asking for 2 carat rings have probably never even tried one on before!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
sonnyjane|1326506061|3102568 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with personal taste. I think a lot of people are saying they want larger stones because more and more that's what they're seeing on celebrities on TV. I'd venture to guess that a lot of girls that are asking for 2 carat rings have probably never even tried one on before!

Agreed with this... Before my wife and I got engaged years ago, I was out to dinner with her and her friends in NYC and they were having conversations about 4 ct engagement rings... I was like "do any of you have any effing idea what that costs?!?" they didn't of course... I think part of it is where you live--the northeast and southern Cal tend to skew people's perception of reality I think.

Most people know little about diamonds before they get engaged--and that includes most 20something girls...;-)

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
You could also say that men are getting more irresponsible with their budgets....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
winternight|1326508368|3102592 said:
You could also say that men are getting more irresponsible with their budgets....
what do you meant by irresponsible? a girl should clean out the guy's saving account?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
sna77|1326506739|3102576 said:
sonnyjane|1326506061|3102568 said:

Agreed with this... Before my wife and I got engaged years ago, I was out to dinner with her and her friends in NYC and they were having conversations about 4 ct engagement rings... I was like "do any of you have any effing idea what that costs?!?" they didn't of course... I think part of it is where you live--the northeast and southern Cal tend to skew people's perception of reality I think.

Most people know little about diamonds before they get engaged--and that includes most 20something girls...;-)

completely agree. I dont think most people know what a 2ct ring, 1ct, 4 ct stone costs.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You love stirring the pot DF... Well in DD's circle only one is married, and I helped find the ring...It was an EC under 2 carats...

With the economy these days, people are just trying to keep their jobs and move forward...

I just got a 3 stone OEC ring, it's not a blingy piece. But DD saw that and said, see that's what I want for an ering....

If people are getting greedier, they need to wise up....

It's not the ring , it's a marriage... It's not the wedding... It's the life after all the candles are blown out... :))

That should be my new tag line!!!!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I think people also don't realize how much money it would take to purchase a 2 ct stone...these "girls" may be greedy, but they also don't have a realistic sense of cost.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking at the first link on the sidebar - DF, you tell me! How much has changed since the last time this crossed your mind? :devil:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1326509179|3102602 said:
winternight|1326508368|3102592 said:
what do you meant by irresponsible? a girl should clean out the guy's saving account?
I think what winter night was trying to say is that maybe it isn't just the women getting greedier, that the men are being looser with their money and more willing to spend a large chunk of $

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1326510612|3102622 said:
Looking at the first link on the sidebar - DF, you tell me! How much has changed since the last time this crossed your mind? :devil:
not much.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my god, honestly, YES. SO MUCH. I hear a lot of that crap in real life especially, how dare he not let me buy the Louis Vuitton, I need this iPhone, and I want this BMW and why wont he buy it for me. Girl, get yo a$$ a job and buy it yourself!

On another board I am on it's all about Tiffany, Cartier, HW, VCA...anything high dollar brand, and nothing else seems to do. And it has to be 2+ carats and D and VVS or something ridiculous. And they're disappointed when it doesn't pan out how they envisioned it. Or probably when they find out the dang budget won't allow for their requirements. It's disgusting and it's frustrating. I get that it's generally a different cross-section of society...but wow does it work a nerve in me. People will ask for diamond advice but don't want to hear anything about going with another jeweler and getting the size and specs they want because it's not branded. Frankly, sweetheart, no one is gonna know you have a Tiffany, HW, Cartier unless you tell them, and if you do, you look like a serious bonehead for bragging. People can't handle having a "small 1 ct" or "tiny 1.5 ct" or "it's so small, how can i make my 2ct look bigger". The threads are often titled "Please help! can't find a tiffany necklace I like!". Ok? Why does that warrant urgent help? I just want to scream sometimes at the entitlements.

I worked very hard to earn what I make, as did DH. I got educated, I paid for other education elsewhere in other fields because it was interesting. It was hard, I sacrificed other things, but now I can afford just about anything I want (besides a damn Birkin, and if they keep raising an already very exclusive brand's ridiculous prices I never will! Not that I'd ever get service in that store anyway!) and I wear a 1.15 stone, and apparently to many of these people it's not big enough. Bec it's an H VS1 it's not good enough and "too yellow", and because it's from a chain "prestigious" jeweler not on 5th/Madison Ave...it's not "quality". I have no intention of upgrading, at least not for a LONG time. I am quite pleased with this diamond, it was hard won!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I think people in general are getting greedy, jewelry is just one of the places you see it the most with females. With men it is more often cars, video games, sports equiptment...

Just the other day, I was talking to my husband about how crazy it is that his 9 year old daughter(my step-daughter) was wanting a smart phone for her birthday-and her mom got it for her! I can understand getting a inexpensive pay as you go phone if you want to keep track of your child, but there is no reason a 9 year old needs a $400 smart phone. (not to mention the $700 laptop she told us she wanted and $300 video camera :shock: )

I think people need to take a serious look at their finances and look at what is realistic.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I think that women are making more money now than they have before, and they want their rings to reflect the joint income they will have when they are married. So that means larger diamond. But I also think that if that's the case, then the ladies should be chipping in for those larger stones and not just demanding them from the get go.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1326517437|3102699 said:
I think people in general are getting greedy, jewelry is just one of the places you see it the most with females. With men it is more often cars, video games, sports equiptment...
THAT is for sure. So much excess. I know I am seriously guilty about that too, but wow.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't call it greed. Exactly. I'd label it . . . entitlement.

And we've had this conversation many times.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think that is all silly. You are starting a life together - demanding more equals less in your life after marriage. Do you know a lot of gold diggers or something?

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1326517526|3102701 said:
Well, I think that women are making more money now than they have before, and they want their rings to reflect the joint income they will have when they are married. So that means larger diamond. But I also think that if that's the case, then the ladies should be chipping in for those larger stones and not just demanding them from the get go.
I agree with that. I am upgrading right now and the majority of the money is coming from my bank account. With the wedding set, I paid half(1/2 ct princess in halo pave setting with matching band). He did buy the original engagement ring though(1/2 ctw 3 stone).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they may dream of what they see on TV, but most are totally clueless as to how much a 2 ct. good quality diamond would cost. I don't see how many guys in their 20's could afford that. I think it is getting hard for them to afford 1 carat with the price increases we have seen over the past year. I think halo rings may be here to stay! ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not.

It's not about being greedy. It's about couples delaying marriage and being more established and having more liquid assets at the time of engagement (which statistically, is exactly what has been going on). I look around my social circle and I see young men with good jobs splurging plenty on themselves. What does it say if he spends more a month on toys & boozing than your ring? I sure don't blame their girlfriends for wanting them to show they have it in them to sacrifice, plan and save a little before agreeing to marry them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1326524205|3102770 said:
Absolutely not.

It's not about being greedy. It's about couples delaying marriage and being more established and having more liquid assets at the time of engagement (which statistically, is exactly what has been going on). I look around my social circle and I see young men with good jobs splurging plenty on themselves. What does it say if he spends more a month on toys & boozing than your ring? I sure don't blame their girlfriends for wanting them to show they have it in them to sacrifice, plan and save a little before agreeing to marry them.
or find a cheaper gf... :lol:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1326524590|3102773 said:
MissStepcut|1326524205|3102770 said:
Absolutely not.

or find a cheaper gf... :lol:
So you think it would be appropriate for a man to spend as much on his future wife's ring as he spent this month on entertainment expenses?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I think part of the problem is that today there are so many cheap (but pretty) fashion rings out there.

A girl's sense of what is estheticaly pleasing on her hand is often developed/warped by dirt cheap cz. When it comes to translate that look to gold/platinum and diamonds, she has no idea of the vast price differences.

Fashion jewellery in the last 10 years has not been about subtlety, and as a result of this influence, many girls want their engagement rings to be the ultimate statement peice. (Hello pave and halos!)

I wonder if we'll ever retun to the days when the engagement ring was a simple reminder of his affection?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326522151|3102754 said:
I think they may dream of what they see on TV, but most are totally clueless as to how much a 2 ct. good quality diamond would cost. I don't see how many guys in their 20's could afford that. I think it is getting hard for them to afford 1 carat with the price increases we have seen over the past year. I think halo rings may be here to stay! ;))

Absolutely true.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on where people live, I live in a small town in the midwest where bling is not really a big thing. I could totally see it being an issue in bigger cities. We also have all these reality tv shoes with big bling which can make people want more.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
ame|1326517794|3102703 said:
armywife13|1326517437|3102699 said:
THAT is for sure. So much excess. I know I am seriously guilty about that too, but wow.

yeah, younger men want faster cars, newly weds want fancier houses...and I guess a certain population of women want nicer jewellery, too.
Blame it on the visual media

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People have more disposal income than they have in the past. More woman are working in higher paying jobs and have access to more money. Combine both of those with the media and what people see other people wearing, I think women, and men, have higher expectations of what an engagement ring should look like and be. I think greed is too strong of a word. Times, they are a changin'. It's not just women who want bigger, it's appears to be men who also want to buy a larger stone.

I also agree that woman who say they want a certain carat size may not have any idea what it looks like on their finger or what it costs.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of men seem to come on here and blow their budgets or say they're financing or waiting for a bonus, refund check, whatever.
Personally, I wouldn't want to start off a relationship like that. Like CP said you're dipping into your own security. I don't think
it's fair to blame it on women when so many guys want bragging rights - like a bigger stone. I'm sure some guys also drive a leased BMW when they don't have squat in the bank. If they are going to make personal choices like that it doesn't surprise me who they end up with.

Ame, yeah I know the forum. But remember in a recent thread the girl didn't want such a pricy ring but the guy did. His reasoning, according to her, was he could save up again. Um, in any economy not a great idea, but in this one. I have a one carat and we could upgrade but were both sentimental. Then again I'm looking at a Rhr for myself

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results