shape
carat
color
clarity

Are four 0.5ct stones too big for a DBTY necklace?

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Its for my wife for our 2nd (and final) child. That makes four of us.

are 5mm diameter stones that are ~0.5 ct each too big?

this would be for everyday-ish wear.

if anyone has photos of something similar, I would appreciate it

Imo you’ll need a fifth stone, either of a bigger size or the same size, because DBTYs look better with odd number of stations at least in my opinion. I like bling so I think the 0.5 size should be fine!

edit: just realised you want 4 because it represents your family. Hmm. Maybe you could get a decorative clasp or a pendant or something that represents all four of you to act as the 5th piece?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that size in a dbty I think i would worry more about it it either flipping or the cutlet being scratchy on the skin. I don’t know that anyone’s really solved the flipping issues in this style and maybe I’m wrong but it might be worse with bigger gems?

At that size in a dbty I think i would worry more about it it either flipping or the cutlet being scratchy on the skin. I don’t know that anyone’s really solved the flipping issues in this style and maybe I’m wrong but it might be worse with bigger gems?

I wonder if the issue would be resolved by setting the stations in small baskets (maybe in that faux bezel style) - I think it could work even if it’s not technically the classic DBTY style?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would hesitate with 4 stations as they would be quite spaced out IMHO.

I would set 4 stones in a line, slightly curved, in a static necklace; or as a vertical bar with a bail as a movable necklace myself.

4 x 5mm stones being set close together would make a very striking piece!

All my personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Personally, I would hesitate with 4 stations as they would be quite spaced out IMHO.

I would set 4 stones in a line, slightly curved, in a static necklace; or as a vertical bar with a bail as a movable necklace myself.

4 x 5mm stones being set close together would make a very striking piece!

All my personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

7/8/9 diamonds would be better IMHO, but obviously you would lose the symbolism of 4 family members... That said: 4 stones on a festoon would be awesome!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i don't think 50 pointers for a dbty will be too big. must consider the culet though. some are bothered by the point of the culet, others don't feel it...
i'd image with 50 pointers you'd likely be able to feel it...

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
2nd @dk168. I would suggest a diamond bar necklace as well. I love mine because the diamonds never flip.

fofolala

Rough_Rock
2nd @dk168. I would suggest a diamond bar necklace as well. I love mine because the diamonds never flip.

can you post what your diamond bar necklace looks like?

The other thought i had is to have 3 white diamonds (3 girls) and 1 black rosecut diamond (= me; boy).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this idea MUCH better. Looks symmetrical and they won’t flip.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
ooh. i like that! how are they held in place is there actually a bar behind the stones? they dont look bezeled

Here are a couple more pictures.

The 1st picture is the front. I couldn't get a clear picture of the prongs, so I'm using the seller's picture. (It was originally a vertical pendant). There is a prong between each stone, as well as on the ends.

The 2nd is a picture of the back (after I converted it into a horizontal diamond bar). There are 2 circles under each diamond. One just below the girdle, and one at the bottom.

I hope this helps.

Screenshot_20200709-200549~3.png 15999374065270.jpg

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a thoughtful idea @fofolala :) Congratulations on your second baby girl!

I love how @GlitterInMyHair's necklace looks! This would look beautiful with .5ct diamonds as well!

This is a very personal preference, but I don't love black diamonds. I'd check with your wife before buying one...

I also agree that I would prefer an odd amount of diamonds in a DBTY necklace, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with 4 .5 ct stones in a DBTY necklace... I would have the stones set toward the front though so all 4 are visible.

Sure, here is a picture. The diamonds are 0.2ct each.
15943470135310.jpg

fofolala

Rough_Rock
thanks for your thoughts @mco312 . i agree with just 4 stones they wouldnt be evenly spaced around the necklace, but set so all 4 are visible.

the black diamond motif is one i've used twice before. for example in a diamond pendant necklace with a ~1 ct radiant white diamond and an equivalent-size rose-cut black diamond, each bezeled, set such that the bezel corners are touching (making kind of a sideways boxy infinity symbol, i guess).

now that we have kids, i thought it'd be fun to continue the theme

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results