shape
carat
color
clarity

Are faint colors such as U-V., W-X, and Y-Z "Fancy Colored Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Threadjack--Hi, Amethyste, I see you got back safe from trip with your ring.
Great!
I hope you had a great time.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I wnat to see David''s wife''s ring, too if he''s comfortable posting it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI all!
Amethyste- of course we''d love to invite you up!

Quite a few PS members have visited- and all PS members are welcome to do so!
Please make sure to call for an appointment.

My wife''s ring...... I''m actually writing from a cruise ship -so no chance to post photos.
I''l see if we can post a photo ( of course you guys know it''s not up to me!)

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 5:18:36 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
HI all!

My wife''s ring...... I''m actually writing from a cruise ship -so no chance to post photos.
Wish I''d known we had an invitation when I went to NY this summer!
Do you have a store or is it offices that you ship from? It would be fun to see things in person--looking around on your site is a lot of fun. Too expensive for now but I''ll have a 30th anniv in 5 years!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/10/2009 4:56:00 PM
Author: Black Jade
Date: 9/9/2009 5:18:36 PM

HI all!

Wish I''d known we had an invitation when I went to NY this summer!

Do you have a store or is it offices that you ship from? It would be fun to see things in person--looking around on your site is a lot of fun. Too expensive for now but I''ll have a 30th anniv in 5 years!
That makes two of us Black Jade! We''d love to have you up!!

We operate out of a suite of offices. We''ve thought of opening a "walk in" retail store many times but the added costs seem superfluous as well over 95% of our clients never even come to the office, choosing to buy based on the site.
Coming to visit us gives folks a look at the "inside" of the 47th street biz.
Dress down as the offices are not fancy, but on many occasions a broker or cutter stops by and guests get to look at some very incredible things that we may be considering, or a new stone off the wheel.

If there is a special request, please remember to ask when calling for an appointment.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
It does sound like fun, if you honestly don''t mind people with no money to buy passing through. I always feel a little emmbarrassed to do that, as I feel as if I''m wasting time that could be spent on potential clients.
We come to NY a fair amou nt, so don''t say it is okay unless it really is. Because we actually might be able to stop by.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/11/2009 1:41:36 PM
Author: Black Jade
It does sound like fun, if you honestly don't mind people with no money to buy passing through. I always feel a little emmbarrassed to do that, as I feel as if I'm wasting time that could be spent on potential clients.
We come to NY a fair amou nt, so don't say it is okay unless it really is. Because we actually might be able to stop by.
You are such a nice person Black Jade!

We are very pleased to spend some time with someone such as yourself.
There is never any pressure to buy if someone comes to visit- even if they are shopping.
If you want to look at it from a stricltly business standpoint, it would be a good investment of time, as you might tell others of things you saw.

From a personal standpoint, I find you to be an amazing lady- and nothing would please me more that to sit over a cup of coffee with you, shoot the breeze and look at some diamonds!~

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much.
I am sure it would be very interesting and informative to come to your store as well as really nice to meet you.
When we next come to NY, we will let you know.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Everybody!

Back to the subject at hand:
What''s more important- how a diamond looks loose, or how it looks once it''s set into a ring, or piece of jewelry?

I ask because in our experience, the perceived color of lighter colored, natural diamonds are greatly effected by the setting.

I am very much against advertising the grade based on the sub standard reports floating around out there.
For example- EGL will grade diamonds in the setting.
In the case of a W-X, of Y-Z, that means it will be then categorized as a "Fancy Color"
I don''t agree with the deceptive aspect of that practice- but from a practical standpoint, they may have something.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 1:29:48 PM
HI Everybody!

Back to the subject at hand:
What''s more important- how a diamond looks loose, or how it looks once it''s set into a ring, or piece of jewelry?

I ask because in our experience, the perceived color of lighter colored, natural diamonds are greatly effected by the setting.

I am very much against advertising the grade based on the sub standard reports floating around out there.
For example- EGL will grade diamonds in the setting.
In the case of a W-X, of Y-Z, that means it will be then categorized as a ''Fancy Color''
I don''t agree with the deceptive aspect of that practice- but from a practical standpoint, they may have something.
When I bought my ring, the GIA report came as W to X grade, but my diamond was already set, and into a yellow gold shield. I do love the way my diamond
looks into its setting, but I am wondering how it would look out of the shield under the light?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI A!
I believe your ring is a very good example.
We know you paid a price for a faint yellow- yet you ''re looking at a very rich color, in the ring...in fact, it looks like a "Fancy Color".

I have seen many cases where a faint yellow diamond looks quite a bit deeper in color once it''s set in yellow gold- like yours.
There''s a very strong chance that if we popped the diamond out of the ring, it would look much lighter in color than it does now.
Again- as you were never mislead about the color, who cares if it looks lighter when it''s loose?

From my perspective how the diamond looks once set is really a determining factor

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 3:17:23 PM
HI A!
We know you paid a price for a faint yellow- yet you 're looking at a very rich color, in the ring...in fact, it looks like a 'Fancy Color'.

I have seen many cases where a faint yellow diamond looks quite a bit deeper in color once it's set in yellow gold- like yours.
There's a very strong chance that if we popped the diamond out of the ring, it would look much lighter in color than it does now.
Again- as you were never mislead about the color, who cares if it looks lighter when it's loose?

From my perspective how the diamond looks once set is really a determining factor
Well for me it is somewhat a concerning factor since I would love to have my diamond reset. I'd have to ask that my shield be incorporated into the new design otherwise, I still do not know what to expect to see as for the color of my diamond outside of the shield's enhancement. I am unsure of what to do.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/14/2009 3:40:04 PM
Author: Amethyste

Date: 9/14/2009 3:17:23 PM
HI A!
We know you paid a price for a faint yellow- yet you ''re looking at a very rich color, in the ring...in fact, it looks like a ''Fancy Color''.

I have seen many cases where a faint yellow diamond looks quite a bit deeper in color once it''s set in yellow gold- like yours.
There''s a very strong chance that if we popped the diamond out of the ring, it would look much lighter in color than it does now.
Again- as you were never mislead about the color, who cares if it looks lighter when it''s loose?

Well for me it is somewhat a concerning factor since I would love to have my diamond reset. I''d have to ask that my shield be incorporated into the new design otherwise, I still do not know what to expect to see as for the color of my diamond outside of the shield''s enhancement. I am unsure of what to do.
It''s an important consideration A.
I''ve seen quite a few rings made for colored ( or light colored) diamonds where the proper techniques were not used.....with bad results.
In such a case, you would certainly not be pleased- I can understand your concern.
BUT- there are sellers who are very familiar with these colors, and know the right way to set them.
Just make sure whoever does the re-setting can show you other stones they''ve done in the same color range- and the results.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results