shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog Are Engagement Watches Trending?

bcmacdonald

Staff member
Untitled-design-4-1024x576.png

PriceScopeKayti published a new blog post.
If a woman announces that she has recently been engaged, the standard reply is a request to see the ring. Some people are out to change that, because there is a new trend developing; engagement watches. I know, PriceScopers are probably aghast at the very idea of bypassing the engagement ring! We are going to...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven't heard about this new trend...maybe I'm too old. :lol:

srqledmeup

Rough_Rock
Great blog post! I really enjoy your writing and the topics that you tackle!

I am an older millennial (in my early 30s) and while I haven’t heard of engagement watches, I’ve heard of women gifting their husbands watches on their wedding day.

I’ve already discussed with my SO and plan to do the same when we marry. I am very much looking forward to it. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I wouldn't expect it to become widespread though. For one thing, watches seem somewhat redundant in the first place, now that we have iphones (which display the time).

Also, wedding rings serve an important social function in showing at a glance who is "taken" or not as well as people just liking to display that milestone, or whatever you'd call it, of being married.

I guess you could always have had a different symbol of being married, whether a watch, pendant, bracelet, hat or tattoo, or a ring worn on a different finger or hand than expected. But the reason nothing else has caught on imo is because none of those signal to others that one is married.

Last edited:
Interesting idea! As a woman who loves watches, I still would want a ring, not a watch. But I do plan on getting one for my SO (even if I won’t propose with one, I do plan to present him one - that he’s picked out/approved) as an engagement present.

In my social circle in recent years I have seen this trend kind of take of. the most common combo I see nowadays is that men overwhelmingly are the proposers, and fairly often they pop the question with a “proposal band”, not the engagement ring. The engagement ring is presented at the engagement ceremony, where there’s usually a ring exchange (women get the big rock, men usually get a plain/decorative band, sometimes with a diamond in). The watch is usually presented by the woman to the man at some point between engagement, planning period and wedding. Of course in keeping with Indian tradition lol there’s a lot more gift giving on either side (men/ their families also give more jewelry, clothes, silver etc) and women’s families also give clothes, maybe some other men’s jewelry like cuff links etc.

srqledmeup

Rough_Rock
Also, wedding rings serve an important social function in showing at a glance who is "taken" or not as well as people just liking to display that milestone, or whatever you'd call it, of being married.

I guess you could always have had a different symbol of being married, whether a watch, pendant, bracelet, hat or tattoo, or a ring worn on a different finger or hand than expected. But the reason nothing else has caught on imo is because none of those signal to others that one is married.

That’s a great point and exactly why he will receive a wedding ring and a watch. ;)2

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the anyone is wanting a Rolex they had better stick with a ring. Rolexes are impossible to come by. Best of luck.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LIKE THE IDEA OF AN ENGAGEMENT WATCH, BUT ULTIMATELY I DON'T THINK IT WILL WORK. WOMEN HAVE THE PEROGATIVE TO CHANGE HER MIND. A ROLEX WATCH IS GREAT, BUT EVENTUALLY THE BRIDE TO BE WILL WANT A DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING. WHEN THAT HAPPENS THERE WILL BE NO MARRIAGE.
People --- and that includes WOMEN;)) -- vary, don't all share the same perspectives.

I myself did not-do not consider an engagement ring (of any kind) to be a prerequisite to marriage. In fact, I "wrestled" with the idea of an e-ring; was even, you might say, antagonistic to having one. (Although I was looking forward to exchanging wedding bands. That may seem illogical, but feelings aren't always Dr. Spock-like. wholly rational thoughts -- that's why they are called "feelings.") But when it became clear that it really meant a great deal to my husband-to-be that he gift me with a ring, I made my peace with it... and then we found the Victorian-era ring that I fell in love with. Which made it a helluva of lot easier to "sell out" my feminist beliefs!

A watch would not have had the "proprietary" overtone that the prospect of an engagement ring had for me.

hnhn

Rough_Rock
I love Rolex and diamond ring equally
I can wear 2 diamond rings at the time but only 1 Rolex LOL

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
My mum had an engagement watch 65 years ago. Their marriage is still going strong so I highly recommend it =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results