shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Emeralds worth it?

Rose974

Rough_Rock
So I'm looking to buy this beautiful preowned emerald and diamond ring from someone I know.

It is 9 carats and it is said not to have any artificial coloring & no resin filling. I'm not fully sure that means I won't have to re-oil it and I don't want to do that. For the same price she is selling a beautiful sapphire and diamond bracelet but I am kind of obsessed with rings.

I've read that emeralds are fragile so is it worth buying?

I appreciate anyone that can enlighten me. Thanks!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald are a 7.5-8 on the hardness scale. They probably have a reputation for being fragile because it depends on the individual stone. Most emeralds have inclusions, and the more inclusions they have (especially surface reaching inclusions) the more fragile they will be. It also depends on how "hard" you are on rings. Unlike other people's experiences, I had a prong set emerald I wore for years on a daily basis that I had no problems with (in fact I sonic cleaned it which I found out is a huge no no!). However I do office work and would take it off if I was going to be doing house or yard work.
If it is in an exposed setting it may be more of a stone to not wear every day. If you are too afraid to wear it at all, then don't get it, as beautiful rings and stones are meant to be worn.

As far as being "worth it" for me emeralds have a certain mysterious beauty of their own, only you can answer whether they are "worth it".

As far as pricing that can vary considerably depending on the quality of the stone (and treatments). I would love to see a picture of the ring you are considering.

Rose974

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your answer part gypsy.

I am worried that I will have to re oil it...does no resin filling and no color treatment mean no care is required other than the occasional cleaning?

Here is a picture of the ring...

_1461.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks beautiful!

Here's my take on it;

Don't wear it to dig ditches. :lol: 8-)

Thats overly simplistic but basically, don't wear the ring doing hard labor, or when you're doing dishes. wear it when you go out and can fawn over it. (or maybe to work...unless you dig ditches at work)

I would have it checked out because I'd like to know what I was really buying. The saying around here even with someone you know, "trust but verify". (there's nothing wrong with that if it protects both you and the seller right?)

Emeralds are my "someday" stone. I haven't found one I've been gaga in love with that was actually within budget, but when I do, it'll be in a ring (so not bothering otherwise!!!)

If you feel you'll get more wear out of sapphire, thats fine too. You don't have to be AS careful, but ixnay on digging ditches while wearing. ;)) :rodent:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is one stunning ring. Emeralds main problem is that they can crack if hit hard enough onto something due to their crystal structure. That emerald setting looks nicely protected. Emeralds are not really everyday rings, more for special occasions. I have a lovely one myself and even though I've had it 12 years, every time I get it out to wear it I go "ooohhhh what a beautiful thing you are". And as long as you avoid soaps (ie washing your hands) hand lotions and never use a chemical liquid cleaner, (I just use a soft toothbrush and a little water) it won't need re oiling anytime soon. Lovely.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No fillers and no major treatments means it's a better quality emerald and worth more money. Any emerald can be damaged irrespective of treatments because they are relatively soft and any can need oiling or re-oiling if you do dumb things with them like swim in a pool of chlorine, put your hands in certain chemicals etc. Generally if it treat them well and look after them they should be fine.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes. Like everyone else said as long as your treat it right it will be fine. Let me just say that I got my first Colombian emeralds and OMG the color and glow to me is worth it alone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results