shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Diamonds Really Rare? Decide For Yourself...

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Years ago, Easton Press released a limited run called the "First Edition Library". It consisted of about 35 books, like Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Fountainhead, etc. The cool thing about these editions was they were supposedly identical to the original editions, down to the misprints, dust jackets, paper weight, typeset, binding, etc. I can't remember their exact price per copy, but it was around $60, I think. Today, you can find them on Ebay for less than they were initially to about twice what they were, AND they aren't in print anymore. Imagine if they were still printing them and planned to keep on printing them. Oh,and imagine that they developed some new, cheaper, methods of getting them made, so the price went down as the years went on... oh, and a competitor publisher has recently started churning them out, too, just as exact of copies, down to the thread color, and dropping their price under Easton Press (just a smidge), and so on.

You can get a good first edition Grapes of Wrath for $20,000+ or you can get a fine first edition copy for $40-$100. The copy is a real book with ALL the details of the first edition (except for the age and scarcity) and, of course, the same story, word for word.

To me, mined diamonds are first editions. Man-made diamonds are copies. The important difference is in how they're made, their age, and, yes, their rarity (obviously, I'm not talking about diamond, generally, but larger, fancy or colorless, high clarity, that also happen to end up being cut well).

There's obviously a market for both, like the books, and I can imagine some people saying, "I enjoy reading the Grapes of Wrath, but why would I pay $20,000 when I could spend $40 and get the same thing?" Well, what does the word "same" mean to them? To those people, it's the story, maybe the look, that's important. For those others who would gladly pay 20k, it's the scarcity of the original (heck, some owners may not even like the story). As for diamonds, it's the look and/or material characteristics for some people. For other folks, it's the scarcity of the original (especially, when compared to the copies).

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
A brilliant assessment and a wonderful metaphor. I congratulate you @Venzen007 - thanks for adding an excellent explanation! Well said.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Venzen007 The second market for unnatural sapphire is the market for scrap - what cannot be melt is toss. The books have it good. Diamonds are much like sapphire.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put it this way: I have been about 8 times to Crater of Diamonds state park in Arkansas, a known diamond field where if you find it, you keep it.

Each of the 9 times, I spent about 3 days on average from opening to 30 mins before closing (so say 8-4) with basically no breaks (I eat while washing) and I have yet to find a diamond in this known diamond field.

So, yes, in whatever way you want to compare them to, I say they are rare.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Put it this way: I have been about 8 times to Crater of Diamonds state park in Arkansas, a known diamond field where if you find it, you keep it.

Each of the 9 times, I spent about 3 days on average from opening to 30 mins before closing (so say 8-4) with basically no breaks (I eat while washing) and I have yet to find a diamond in this known diamond field.

I know several people who have prospected for diamonds or worked in diamond mines. They have never actually seen a diamond in ore.
Typically there may be way less than 1ct of rough diamonds in a trailer full of rock.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh you silly lady. :o
You're searching in the wrong diamond mine.

Finding diamonds is quick and easy (and you won't even get your hands dirty) when you dig for them ... here. :bigsmile:

o.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh you silly lady. :o
You're searching in the wrong diamond mine.

Finding diamonds is quick and easy (and you won't even get your hands dirty) when you dig for them ... here. :bigsmile:

o.jpg

Seriously, the DH said maybe you should just buy a diamond.

But you know me, I’m determined to pull one out of the earth myself. Now that my knee is fixed, maybe I’ll go again in January. Come on, Kenny, you know you want to muck in slop with me in Arkansas in a dry county lol.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know several people who have prospected for diamonds or worked in diamond mines. They have never actually seen a diamond in ore.
Typically there may be way less than 1ct of rough diamonds in a trailer full of rock.

I have met plenty of regulars who show theirs off. It’s a test of patience for sure.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, the DH said maybe you should just buy a diamond.

But you know me, I’m determined to pull one out of the earth myself. Now that my knee is fixed, maybe I’ll go again in January. Come on, Kenny, you know you want to muck in slop with me in Arkansas in a dry county lol.

I'll bring along a 30 carat D IF rough diamond.
When you're looking away I'll put it in the dirt right in front of you. :-o :-o :-o

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll bring along a 30 carat D IF rough diamond.
When you're looking away I'll put it in the dirt right in front of you. :-o :-o :-o

I’d love that!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results