shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Cushion Cut Diamonds Used As Stud Earrings?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a recent thread a poster showed a lovely new pair of earrings designed by Mark Morrell with stones (round brilliants) from Jonathan (Good Old Gold). As I was looking, cushion cut stones (about which I know nothing, since I am a round brilliant lover) that Jonathan had available kept popping up on my screen.

I have two pairs of round brilliant studs already, but as I looked at those cushion cuts I couldn't help but think what nice earrings they would make! Are they popular as stud earrings? I wouldn't even want a fancy setting. I like the stones to do the shining!

Can you show me any wonderful pictures of cushion cut studs?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

I would absolutely buy cushion studs. BGD had a pair at a good price that I wanted :naughty:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! That's me!

I have some wonderful August Vintage Cushions for studs. Stats: J's, .41 & .42, VS1 & VS2

next to my ring
IMG_1149.jpg

And a couple of ear shots
IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

I love them!!!

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
AVC are gorgeous no matter how you look at them and in studs you benefit more from the tall crown attracting the less light exposure an earring gets compared to a ring.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread topic is making me crazy. It is bringing me face to face with issues I have had with Pricescope 2 and have tried to circumnavigate until now. I did do some reading in the thread where we are supposed to post our problems with Pricescope 2, but I stopped reading because I thought I had found the solution.

Is there still no way to search for threads in Pricescope 1? I had thought I could use this link (which I found in the thread that is supposed to help us to use Pricescope 2):

search.php

It doesn't work for me, however!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...I need help. I never came here as stupid about diamonds as I am about cushion cuts. By the time I came to Pricescope I was a pretty old hand at buying round brilliants. I am expecting enough advice so that I don't do something idiotic. I also want to make it clear that I want what I want, though.

I went looking through the sites of some vendors whom I know to be trustworthy in the hopes of seeing some cushion cut diamonds in a size I might like and possibly seeing some already set earrings. Unfortunately, some of vendors didn't seem to have cushion cut earrings on display. I also used some diamond search engines; some worked better than others.

I am convinced that I can buy D colored cushion cut diamonds in a size I would like for earrings. (I searched for stones between .70 and .80 because I thought I would like around a 3/4 carat size in each ear.) I entered that I wanted ideal or excellent cut, but I have absolutely no idea what that means with a cushion cut or whom to trust with finding stones or how to match them. I saw that vendors from whom I have bought before sold the stones. Is there a jeweler whom I can trust (more than any other one) to match cushion cut stones for me?

Remember, I am one of you! I know Jonathan has a great eye. I have bought a diamond pendant happily from Whiteflash. Brian Gavin cut one of my diamonds. I have bought from Blue Nile. I have a diamond from the Tradeshop. I could go on and on. I am asking, specifically, about whether any one person does small cushion earrings at a reasonable price. (I know what the going price is from my research.)

Thanks!

Deb/AGBF

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
People also seem to have a lot of trust in ERD (Engagement Rings Direct). You could also call GOG and have them source for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missydebby said:
People also seem to have a lot of trust in ERD (Engagement Rings Direct). You could also call GOG and have them source for you.

Did Good Old Gold find your stones, missydebby?

BTW, thank you for posting the pictures of your earrings. I loved them, but never thanked you!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...I think I have put a toe in the water, although I have not yet taken the plunge. To put it more plainly, I have made a tentative choice of vendor. I spoke with Lesley at Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) since I need to trust the eye of someone other than myself in matching stones and I believe that I can trust Brian's eye.

Lesley is going to look at what stones within my parameters are available and get back to me.

Apparently one can invest in hearts and arrows cut cushions. I did happen to see such a thing on the Good Old Gold website (although I was not looking for that since I am looking for earrings and no one will see hearts and arrows on one's ears). What do you think about hearts and arrows cushions?

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been learning a little bit about cushion cuts as I rummage around on the 'net looking for information about stones I might be able to use in earrings. I found one stone that was labelled, "ideal". It had the right parameters for table, depth, etcetera. (We are talking about tiny stones here, folks. Not ring size stones.) The problem was that I was looking for a stone with a square type shape and the measurements told me instantly that this stone was oblong. It was more like a long rectangle. I haven't even gotten into the area of how to judge a stone for anything other than table, depth, and shape. I saw some discussions of bowtie, seeing flesh through a stone, and-of course-the famous crushed ice topic. Should I ask about that here?

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are earrings set with Princess cut stones from the Whiteflash "ready set go" line. How do you think the look compares to cushion cut earrings? The prongs on these look very prominent to me (as opposed to missydebby's, for example) and I don't know why. Is it because the sharp corners of the Princess have to be protected? I like square shaped cushions, but I don't like the sharp edges of Princess cuts. The price of the ready set go line is obviously very competitive, however.

AGBF

readysetgoprincesscut.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi AGBF,
Regarding your post here:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ions-bad.148696/page-18#post-2701566#p2701566

If you loved us tech heads more than diamonds, we would paly with you more :lol:

I agree - stay away from crushed ice, go wih the vintage styles, or a pair of shallow 8 mains type and go for a larger spread because they are more likely to draw light from dead ahead rather than get that dark look on the top or the bottom from drawing light in the green ASET zones.

i.e. as much blue and red in the ASET or lots of dark in an ideal-scope.
Hope that helps my Darling!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF said:
I have been learning a little bit about cushion cuts as I rummage around on the 'net looking for information about stones I might be able to use in earrings. I found one stone that was labelled, "ideal". It had the right parameters for table, depth, etcetera. (We are talking about tiny stones here, folks. Not ring size stones.) The problem was that I was looking for a stone with a square type shape and the measurements told me instantly that this stone was oblong. It was more like a long rectangle. I haven't even gotten into the area of how to judge a stone for anything other than table, depth, and shape. I saw some discussions of bowtie, seeing flesh through a stone, and-of course-the famous crushed ice topic. Should I ask about that here?

Deb/AGBF

Squarish cushions look better because if one turns N-S and the other is E-W it makes you look like you will fall over!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
Squarish cushions look better because if one turns N-S and the other is E-W it makes you look like you will fall over!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Deb!!

The majority of your questions can not be answered by trade members.
I cant answer who you should use nor show pictures.
but I wuvs yas!

Id suggest sticking to square to near square, pick a vendor you trust and set them hunting.
Video is nice to have when making the final selection but Brian looking at them and talking to you on the phone would be good also.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Deb - to be fair, people have been trying to help you on this thread. Your statements make it sound like the people responding are not doing you any good. You are a long time PSer ... you should know that the trade members can't help answer a lot of your questions. They are all in the other thread because they can comment freely when a sale is not involved.

There is no magic bullet to buying cushions. It is much more difficult buying cushions than rounds and attract a great deal of passion even from consumers. You have to first decide if you want a chunky cushion or a modern cushion. Once you decide in these categories, you have to further decide what look you are going for than we can help you out.

In general, these numbers work well for me but there are very beautiful cushions that deviate from this:
Plot: 8 fat main or 8 thin main
Cut: Cushion Brilliant or Old Mine Brilliant
Depth: 64% to 69%
Table: High 40s to Low 60s
Bunch of other factors but I enjoy a high crown.

Here is the general thinking around cushions and vendors - I can speak freely on my opinions since I am just a consumer. Of course, there will be debates and disagreements on what I am writing below but this is the general feeling / thinking.

GOG - This is the only place you can get the August Vintage Cushions which will give you the best light return. Typically, you can't go wrong with buying an August Vintage Cushion and is an easy way to get a nice chunky cushion (sort of like buying a BGD Signature Cut H&A). They also carry the square H&A. The branded diamonds will come with a slight cost premium. This is also the place to go if you want consistent ASET, videos, etc.

Leon/Perry - They entered into the diamond selling business recently and have found nice chunky cushions. Some people like these generic cushions better because they appear less perfected and come at a lower price point. I have not seen any modern cushions yet but I think they will be able to find it. No fancy tools or videos but you will get good service and comparable policies. They have excellent prices and appear to be beating out the other vendors.

ERD - Have a history of being able to find nice cushions both chunky and modern. They have a non-pushy style that have charmed many customers. PSers have been going to Leon/Perry for a variety of reasons but also it appears that Leon/Perry have access to the same chunky cushions as ERD. ERD has access to 8 thin main modern cushions which many who are looking for modern cushions enjoy.

BGD - They have also been cutting their own modern cushion but the popularity of them haven't taken off on PS. My personal opinion is that I am not a fan of them but this is something you have to decide on your own. I am sure BGD can also cut virtual cushions.

WF - Not a popular vendor for purchasing cushions among the cushion fans on PS. This doesn't mean they can't find a nice cushion.

Here is CCL's guide to purchasing a cushion. It has helped many people.
rockytalky/where-is-ccl-s-great-cushion-guideline-thread-t147633.html?hilit=ccl cushion guide

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo-

Thank you so much for your helpful posting. I think you overestimated what I knew about what trade members were allowed to say in threads. (I am not aware of the exact parameters within which they must operate although I do, of course, know that Pricescope is not a bazaar in which vendors vie for customers!) I also think that you grossly overestimated my knowledge of cushion cuts! I needed to study every word of your posting and I am going to have to print it out and go over it again. I had never heard of an AVC until a few days ago. I did not know what a "Chunky Cushion" was. I didn't know there were two basic types of cushions from which one had to choose (the chunky cushion and the modern cushion). All of this is new to me. In fact, I am lucky to tell an Asscher from a Radiant. All I have ever bought or studied are round brilliants (among diamonds). My other interests have been a few colored stones and gold!

So thank you for taking the time to educate me and for not being prejudiced against me because I have been hanging around on Pricescope for years without learning a single thing about fancy cuts. The time you spent writing the posting above did not go unappreciated!!!

Hugs,
Deb

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
Hi AGBF,
Regarding your post here:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ions-bad.148696/page-18#post-2701566#p2701566

If you loved us tech heads more than diamonds, we would paly with you more :lol:

I agree - stay away from crushed ice, go wih the vintage styles, or a pair of shallow 8 mains type and go for a larger spread because they are more likely to draw light from dead ahead rather than get that dark look on the top or the bottom from drawing light in the green ASET zones.

i.e. as much blue and red in the ASET or lots of dark in an ideal-scope.
Hope that helps my Darling!

Deb-
Although we are not allowed to get specific here, I can tell you that cushions can indeed be great for earrings.
Also that Garry is giving you a personal opinion- and his opinion is by no means shared by many other cushion experts.
Personally I love rectangular as well-and crushed ice too- although from your post in the other thread, it sounds like you want a "chunky" look, as opposed to crushed ice.

I have been learning first hand that aset can do more in the way of confusing the issue, instead of clarifying for those who are shopping- especially if they've not decided on specifics.
The answers to a lot of these questions really depends on the type of look you're going for.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
CharmyPoo-

Thank you so much for your helpful posting. I think you overestimated what I knew about what trade members were allowed to say in threads. (I am not aware of the exact parameters within which they must operate although I do, of course, know that Pricescope is not a bazaar in which vendors vie for customers!) I also think that you grossly overestimated my knowledge of cushion cuts! I needed to study every word of your posting and I am going to have to print it out and go over it again. I had never heard of an AVC until a few days ago. I did not know what a "Chunky Cushion" was. I didn't know there were two basic types of cushions from which one had to choose (the chunky cushion and the modern cushion). All of this is new to me. In fact, I am lucky to tell an Asscher from a Radiant. All I have ever bought or studied are round brilliants (among diamonds). My other interests have been a few colored stones and gold!

So thank you for taking the time to educate me and for not being prejudiced against me because I have been hanging around on Pricescope for years without learning a single thing about fancy cuts. The time you spent writing the posting above did not go unappreciated!!!

Hugs,
Deb

Deb,

My guide which Charmypoo linked to contains tons of videos which will be most helpful in educating your eyes. Following that you need to get out there and hold up some cushions up to your ears see which ones suit you best.

Garry H's simplified advice was good, for earrings in any outline shape you want a diamond that gathers the most light from high angles (ASET red) with respect to the table. Your ears, head, and hair may block the lower angle side lighting(ASET green) from making your diamond look as bright.

Good-luck,
CCL

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
squarish cushions look better because if one turns N-S and the other is E-W it makes you look like you will fall over!

You must have seen pictures of me in my round brilliants where it was assumed I was doing cartwheels.

Deb

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF said:
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
squarish cushions look better because if one turns N-S and the other is E-W it makes you look like you will fall over!

You must have seen pictures of me in my round brilliants where it was assumed I was doing cartwheels.

Deb
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is just my opinion but I don't think that cushions do well at small sizes. It has been discussed many times and the *general* consensus has been that a round has a point at which it is just too big to wear on the finger but emerald cut and cushion cuts don't even really start to take off until you're getting close to a carat and the bigger the better. The patterning difference in a cushion is so varied and yet in small sizes so subtle - and in earrings of small size you can barely tell if it's square or if its round. I'm afraid a small square cushion is just going to look round anyway (would you consider the oecs?) and probably not have the performance you're looking for. If I were to buy earrings that were cushions I would ONLY get the AVCs, but I would more likely skip the cushion earrings altogether and get a single larger cushion pendant or ring. Cushions are my favorite, hands down... but when they're small (or on the ears) you cannot appreciate the special things they have going for them as well as you can appreciate other cuts at that size. Again, JMO.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra said:
This is just my opinion but I don't think that cushions do well at small sizes. It has been discussed many times and the *general* consensus has been that a round has a point at which it is just too big to wear on the finger but emerald cut and cushion cuts don't even really start to take off until you're getting close to a carat and the bigger the better. The patterning difference in a cushion is so varied and yet in small sizes so subtle - and in earrings of small size you can barely tell if it's square or if its round. I'm afraid a small square cushion is just going to look round anyway (would you consider the oecs?) and probably not have the performance you're looking for. If I were to buy earrings that were cushions I would ONLY get the AVCs, but I would more likely skip the cushion earrings altogether and get a single larger cushion pendant or ring. Cushions are my favorite, hands down... but when they're small (or on the ears) you cannot appreciate the special things they have going for them as well as you can appreciate other cuts at that size. Again, JMO.

Sara-

All I can say is, "Wow!". Thank you so much for posting this. This is something for me to think about seriously!!!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missydebby said:
Just in case you want to see, GOG has a video of my .42 AVC earrings

enjoy! http://vimeo.com/12983756

That was fun, missydebby; thank you. I felt like getting up and dancing. What a nice way to greet one's diamonds! None of my vendors ever introduced me to any of my diamonds that way! I am quite jealous!

Deb/AGBF

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deb :) I hated to write that, it sounds discouraging. One of the things I love about cushions is how they are the origin and frontier of diamonds simultaneously. Quite interesting - if you ever loved diamond cut, this is definitely one to take interest in. Just be careful, there are cow pies *everywhere* lol

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra said:
Thanks Deb :) I hated to write that, it sounds discouraging. One of the things I love about cushions is how they are the origin and frontier of diamonds simultaneously. Quite interesting - if you ever loved diamond cut, this is definitely one to take interest in. Just be careful, there are cow pies *everywhere* lol

If small cushions can look like round brilliants and one has to go bigger to get a good cushion...approaching 1 carat (and the bigger the better)...what do you think about earrings made with AVC cushions that are .90 to 1.00 carat?

Deb/AGBF

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
Cehrabehra said:

If small cushions can look like round brilliants and one has to go bigger to get a good cushion...approaching 1 carat (and the bigger the better)...what do you think about earrings made with AVC cushions that are .90 to 1.00 carat?

Deb/AGBF
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results